Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sdasd
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just wanted to see and ask every one if i got the Megan coilovers and installed it into my vehicle, should I still drive the vehicle with them on in winter. I live in Toronto Canada so its gets very cold here and snows specially with the salt on roads and i am not sure but i think the shocks on Megan Ez's are Gas. Should i switch the shocks over to the stock set ever summer and winter season? Just wanted some knowledgeable opinions to see what i should do. Thank you!!!

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
Some people do switch over during the winter to prevent salt from getting into the threading of the coilovers.

·
lol wut
570 Posts
Yea many people switch back to stock in the winter if they get snow cause sometimes the salt locks up all the collars indefinitely forcing you to dremel the collars off and replacing them with new ones. I'm not saying it's certain to happen to you, but it can, so better safe than sorry. I know this because lot of the Subaru guys run Megan and BC coilovers but don't switch over for winter and when they do go to adjust they find that the collars are jammed tight. Soaking it in PB blaster, WD40 etc for days on end didn't help them either so they just saw their collars off.

·
sdasd
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok perfect just wanted to know because it doesnt really cost me anything to switch over just goto my buddies shop and do it there so was wondering to save the time and hastle....thanks for the advise i will most certainly switch over. The only thing is one switched over the ride height changes wouldn't i have to get an alignment done again then?

·
lol wut
570 Posts
Yea your camber is going to definitely be off if you put it back to stock. Most likely you're going to get positive camber because when you drop it you want more positive camber to even it out. Not sure about your toe and caster settings, I'd imagine the toe should stay the same though.

OEM specs are like
Camer: Front 0 deg.
Rear -1 deg.
Toe in: Front 0 in
Rear 0.08 in
Caster: Front 3.48 deg.

that's what I can remember from reading the owner's manual so don't hold me against it haha

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
i'm in toronto as well and i got teins coils. However, this won't apply to you, but teins use stock struct tops for mounting so switching back and forth to stock shocks is out of the question. Then again, teins doesn't get slammed that low and my winter tire diameter is slightly larger than summer's, so my ride height is a bit higher during winter.

if you go back to stocks, your camber will be off and you'll be wasting your tires faster. One reason why people get coilovers is that they're height adjustable. If you find your car unable to clear the snow, you can raise your coils higher during winter. It'll give you an opportunity to check if your coils are seized or not, then apply whatever lubricant you need on a routine basis.

also, toronto's got pretty decent snow plowing service, i don't really see a need to switch back and forth. and it really is a hassle to switch considering you need to provide resistence on the brake assembly when you tighten the bolts (did the install myself, it's a pain to do all that). So unless you've got $ to burn or your friend does it for free, i personally don't recommend it cuz it's not worth the time/$.

i did smudge a whole bunch of syntheic grease on the threads when I installed my coils, eventhough i don't see myself adjusting them again. The only thing i may be concerned about with seizing is when i sell my car and want to take the coils off for resale... but that's probably 10 yrs down the line and by then these coils won't be worth much.

just my 2 cents.

also... toronto accord meet??!? lmao...

·
sdasd
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise and ummm haha Toronto Accord Meet i don't even know where it is and when I am actually from Mississauga so not really that for....where do the accord meets happen i know there are meets at the Square one mall in Mississauga and i havent seen a sindle 8th gen Accord there lol!

i'm in toronto as well and i got teins coils. However, this won't apply to you, but teins use stock struct tops for mounting so switching back and forth to stock shocks is out of the question. Then again, teins doesn't get slammed that low and my winter tire diameter is slightly larger than summer's, so my ride height is a bit higher during winter.

if you go back to stocks, your camber will be off and you'll be wasting your tires faster. One reason why people get coilovers is that they're height adjustable. If you find your car unable to clear the snow, you can raise your coils higher during winter. It'll give you an opportunity to check if your coils are seized or not, then apply whatever lubricant you need on a routine basis.

also, toronto's got pretty decent snow plowing service, i don't really see a need to switch back and forth. and it really is a hassle to switch considering you need to provide resistence on the brake assembly when you tighten the bolts (did the install myself, it's a pain to do all that). So unless you've got $ to burn or your friend does it for free, i personally don't recommend it cuz it's not worth the time/$.

i did smudge a whole bunch of syntheic grease on the threads when I installed my coils, eventhough i don't see myself adjusting them again. The only thing i may be concerned about with seizing is when i sell my car and want to take the coils off for resale... but that's probably 10 yrs down the line and by then these coils won't be worth much.

just my 2 cents.

also... toronto accord meet??!? lmao...

·
sdasd
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea your camber is going to definitely be off if you put it back to stock. Most likely you're going to get positive camber because when you drop it you want more positive camber to even it out. Not sure about your toe and caster settings, I'd imagine the toe should stay the same though.

OEM specs are like
Camer: Front 0 deg.
Rear -1 deg.
Toe in: Front 0 in
Rear 0.08 in
Caster: Front 3.48 deg.

that's what I can remember from reading the owner's manual so don't hold me against it haha
Hey Thanks for the help and yeah lets see how the installation goes and how much of a pain in the ass it is to do it and will go from there thanks again though!

·
1st gear
363 Posts
What !?? Toronto meet !!!

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
if you get coils right now, you could set it a bit higher because when the springs settled, it'll be slightly lowered in time for summer.

install for the fronts is pretty easy and accessible, for the rear was a bit hard (not sure if coupe/sedans are the same), but you have to go through the rear shelf to get to the bolts. i find taking off the rear shelf was a lot easier to install for the rear coils.

if you're just doing the coils they're fairly easy, but if you're doing your camber arms they get tricky. If you don't have the tools and a helping hand, i'd suggest you take it to a shop and have it aligned afterwards.

toronto accord club (just checked), claimed there's a Toronto East end meet at fairview at 8pm (wednesdays, so tomrrow night). Last time I went to one of those (a yr ago?) there were no 8th gens except mine, turn out was about 10 cars. The west meets at (1)^2 [square 1, 1 to the power of 2] at the same time.

it'd be nice to have modded 8th gen meets, but i have not seen anyone who has modded their 8th gen in Toronto on the streets. I did meet up once w/ persian however.

this has nothing to do with the above, but i just want to see how many ways i can write square 1 cuz i'm bored....

(one)^2
(1)^2
[]1
[]one
[one]
[1]
square 1
square one

the end..

·
sdasd
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you get coils right now, you could set it a bit higher because when the springs settled, it'll be slightly lowered in time for summer.

install for the fronts is pretty easy and accessible, for the rear was a bit hard (not sure if coupe/sedans are the same), but you have to go through the rear shelf to get to the bolts. i find taking off the rear shelf was a lot easier to install for the rear coils.

if you're just doing the coils they're fairly easy, but if you're doing your camber arms they get tricky. If you don't have the tools and a helping hand, i'd suggest you take it to a shop and have it aligned afterwards.

toronto accord club (just checked), claimed there's a Toronto East end meet at fairview at 8pm (wednesdays, so tomrrow night). Last time I went to one of those (a yr ago?) there were no 8th gens except mine, turn out was about 10 cars. The west meets at (1)^2 [square 1, 1 to the power of 2] at the same time.

it'd be nice to have modded 8th gen meets, but i have not seen anyone who has modded their 8th gen in Toronto on the streets. I did meet up once w/ persian however.

this has nothing to do with the above, but i just want to see how many ways i can write square 1 cuz i'm bored....

(one)^2
(1)^2
[]1
[]one
[one]
[1]
square 1
square one

the end..
Sure i will stop by 8:00 pm tomorrow is that Fairview Mall you are referring to though? Also I was actually thinking of building a Thread for GTA Ontario Accord Owners to start up our meets with the Accord Club

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Just pressure wash the shocks when you wash your car weekly. Stick the pressure washer in there and hose off any dirt. Also spray the threads with WD40 which dissipates water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts