Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car: 2010 LX-S manual, 4800 miles.

Is anyone else experienceing a shutter when the clutch starts to engage on a cold start? It happens every morning after the car sits overnight (in a garage), goes away after a few start/stops in town. Smooth engagement after 5 mins of driving. The symptom repeats the pattern when I get in the car after work and pull out of the parking lot. I've noticed it more since it has gotten colder (south central PA).

I've searched on this forum and didn't find any others. The Honda Fit forum, however, has several threads about this very same occurance. The consensus over there says "normal".

I really don't have the time to leave my car at the dealership overnight until next month. The shutter is really annoying on a new car.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Any others out there?

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Does it *shudder* because the clutch is cold or because the engine is cold? Any noise? Does the car buck a little?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My car: 2010 LX-S manual, 4800 miles.

Is anyone else experienceing a shutter when the clutch starts to engage on a cold start? It happens every morning after the car sits overnight (in a garage), goes away after a few start/stops in town. Smooth engagement after 5 mins of driving.
My goodness......that is not expected on a new vehicle. My little pickup did it after 150,000 miles (oil on the clutch disc).............

Hope the dealer can adjust the chatter out of there. Further hope they don't hit you with 'can't replicate the problem' (you have to spell it out for them: indicate that the condition only exists when cold)

Sometimes I think about a new manual shift 4-cylinder (no timing belt to fret over). Then an onramp beckons..................the acceleration inherent to the GenVII J30a4 6M tipping the scales at 3250 pounds impresses the hell out of this sailor....................

hang in, ez....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it *shudder* because the clutch is cold or because the engine is cold? Any noise? Does the car buck a little?
No noise, just a 'shutter'. I can't explain it any more than that. The engine is not misfiring and isn't starved for fuel. The engine idles fine on cold start at about 1400 rpm. Shift into reverse, slowly let out the clutch, and....shutter.... until fully engaged. After about 5mins of driving, the clutch engages Honda smooth.

If there were oil on the clutch disc, it would shutter at all temps, not just when it is cold. If the pressure plate was weak from the factory, the clutch would slip under hard acceleration; which is not the case.

I guess I'll schedule an appointment in a few weeks and let it sit overnight so they can duplicate the problem. Work is waaaay to busy now to take a day off

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 2008 Accord has the same problem in the morning when cold....going to make appointment next week.You can't feel the take up.....no clutch.......then you have clutch.I kill for a cable clutch and a proper throttle cable Fnn DBW hate it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The problem seems to getting worse no take up at all when car is cold.Let the clutch out and no take up...full in engagement with shudder till car is warm then the clutch is fine for the day?Going to book it for a appointment this week not happy @ all.

·
13 ex coupe
53 Posts
hi! y need replace trany oil . i know i had before when new last year. after 7000mile i replace redline trany oil. well now 21000mie never happen agin.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
ezshift : I would not matter L4 or V6 this issue is with clutch, can happen to any vehicle for various reasons .

OP : do you bet on car ? cause that easy way for this to happen on low mileage car .
The other ways would be oil getting on pressure plate or defective pressure/clutch assembly .

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Rubberman, so it's almost one year later. What happened last December when you took in your car? Since last winter, is this the first time the symptoms have reappeared? What is your temperature now? Could it simply be that the cold flywheel and cold clutch plate simply don't "adhere" normally until warm? Could that be a sympton of normal wear? Does it shudder in reverse?

·
HellaFunctional
58 Posts
OP i have a 2010 LX-S i4 manual, i have the same issue when i come out of my garage every morning. it's only that one time in the morning and it stops by the end of my driveway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts