Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m trying not to overthink that this can be an issue especially since 10 gen set up has been around for a few years, but I’m somewhat concerned about the ICE on my 2021 HAH not getting hot enough to keep moisture from causing issues in the engine.

My daily commute is 30 miles in CT from shoreline to middle of the state. I’ve noticed when I get home now that it’s cold, there’s virtually no heat coming off my engine when I park it in the garage.

This is partially my fault as I’m always trying to monitor best methods for keeping fuel consumption minimal. This includes only running the heat when the ICE is running. For example on long uphill runs or when ICE is regenerating battery.

Just a bit concerned that I’m letting moisture collect in the combustion area whereas my previous vehicles always got to temp long enough to burn off the moisture.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's not a whole lot you can do and I don't think it's such a big issue.
Ideally you want to get the engine oil to at least 212°F to cause any moisture to evaporate. This can be hard, particularly during short trips. Keep in mind this is just the temp of the oil itself and the rest of the engine can be significantly hotter (higher temperature).

During "very cold" weather your engine oil simply may not ever reach this temp. My guess, based on past experience, is that during warmer winter days when the temp is 20-30°F you should be able to reach this temp during your 30 mile commute. It would be nice if Honda provided a display of oil and coolant temp on that big screen. Maybe get an OBD II scanner to check.

I remember my previous VW would barely reach 120°F driving home 5 miles away after the car is started from a deep freeze. Granted, the VW 2.0T engine holds 6 quarts vs 3.4 quarts in the HAH, so it would take longer to warm up.

The main thing is to let the engine "warm up" and fully lubricate by driving it gently after you first start it. Avoid very short trips. The extra moisture that builds up over time could cause the oil to degrade, so do your yearly/10k oil change in the beginning of the spring. There's not much else you can do, and personally I don't think you need to worry about it too much.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
75 Posts
Remove the oil filler cap. It’s the top of the engine and cooler than the rest. If there’s “mayonnaise” inside, it means that there’s moisture in the oil. Not much you can do about if it’s really cold. I noticed it earlier this week in my car when it was well below zero. It’s now above freezing so that’s the time to take the car for a highway drive to heat up the ICE.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid Touring
12 Posts
I’m in TN so nowhere as cold as CT but on the ScanGuageII I notice my coolant temp hits 195 usually within about five minutes even when cold (20s) outside. I’m starting from a garage at usually 50F or so but the engine is surprisingly quick to heat up is my observation.

Grab some type of OBDII scanner and you can see your temps and adjust driving style as needed to get the engine warm enough. I’ve been pleased with the scan guage even though it is a dated design. I like that it comes alive when I turn the car on and shows my gauges without any action required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Will monitor the oil filler cap and I especially like the OBD plan to live monitor temps. That would definitely ease my mind. Any good ones you’re aware of in the same price range as the ScanGuageii $140-150 that would be BT so I can monitor on the main screen with CarPlay those temps etc?

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid Touring
12 Posts
I don’t know what wireless OBDII readers are decent. Hopefully someone will chime in with a recommendation for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts