Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my car (cold) it idles a little above a grand until it warms up then the rpms go down and it runs smooth, it idles rough almost like its missing, it also does not sound right out of the exhaust until it warms up.. help please

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's typical! Your car isn't going to die or anything.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
when i start my car (cold) it idles a little above a grand until it warms up then the rpms go down and it runs smooth, it idles rough almost like its missing, it also does not sound right out of the exhaust until it warms up.. help please
It should idle just as smooth cold or hot, if everything is right.
When was it last tuned up - NGK plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors cleaned?

Year, engine and miles might be helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry didnt even think about that, 02 accord LX, 3.0 V6, and i just bought the car used about a month ago with 84k miles

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would pull a couple of the spark plugs to see if they are worn and if they are the correct ones for your engine. The factory plugs and wires should still be good to 100k, but the PO may have stuck in some oddball plugs for reasons unknown. If the rought idle is worse in wet weather, that would suggest and ignition problem.
If the plugs are good then I would suggest a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. Techron, Seafoam, BG44K are good ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did the plugs on my car a few weeks back they didn't have NGK plugs at auto zone and i didn't want to wait so i put in some bosh +4, and that didn't change anything still does the same thing. just got off work about 20 mins ago and it is pretty cold out tonight when i went out to warm up my car i started it then the rpms dipped really low, it like surged and chugged for a few seconds then ran rough until it was warm now its fine. im not sure if the cold weather has anything to do with this help me please !

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
i did the plugs on my car a few weeks back they didn't have NGK plugs at auto zone and i didn't want to wait so i put in some bosh +4, and that didn't change anything still does the same thing. just got off work about 20 mins ago and it is pretty cold out tonight when i went out to warm up my car i started it then the rpms dipped really low, it like surged and chugged for a few seconds then ran rough until it was warm now its fine. im not sure if the cold weather has anything to do with this help me please !
Get the NGKs and get your money back on the Bosch +4s. Junk IMHO. Only Denso or NGK plugs should be going in your Accord.

Get new a new air filter, Seafoam, TB Cleaner, MAF Cleaner, fresh oil/filter and a new PCV, then follow the instructions below:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20631

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37637

This should help your Accord smooth out a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just did my oil yesterday Amsoil 25k miles the good stuff, not sure if i can take my plugs back ...? and what do you guys think abt an aftermarket intake like AEM not a cold air one just a regular one ?

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
i just did my oil yesterday Amsoil 25k miles the good stuff, not sure if i can take my plugs back ...? and what do you guys think abt an aftermarket intake like AEM not a cold air one just a regular one ?
What is meant by Amsoil 25k? 25K intervals? I hope not! Regarding the plugs, take them back and say they didn't work for your vehicle. I can't see why they wouldn't as long as it is in the last 30-60 days. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket intakes, stay stock IMHO.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
typical J series running rough cold, too tight exhaust valves.

I'd toss out the crapsoil. It's not tested OR approved for use in Hondas, much less any car. But that's another story entirely.

Dump the Bosch plugs, they are garbage. The NGK platinums easily last 105k, and usually have no issues during their entire lifespan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts