Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been having the cold start rattle on my 08 Accord EX-L for about 3 months now. I recently started searching online and found out that a lot of people have the same issue. I printed TSB 09-010 and was planning on taking it to Honda very soon to get the VTC Actuator replaced. Then, yesterday, when leaving work, I decided to record a video of the rattle so I could show the mechanic at the dealership.

And this happened:

This sounds a lot worse than the regular cold start rattle I've been seeing on these forums and YouTube. And it's the first time THIS happened. I realized that normally I go out for lunch from work so the car sits from 9AM to 12PM (3 hours) before I start it again. Yesterday, I didn't go out and it sat there till 5. But then again, I also didn't go anywhere after work last night, so the car sat in the driveway from 6PM till 8AM the next day. And this morning, it made the regular rattle even though it sat longer but the temperate was considerably warmer. What could it be?

Also, I have 122,000 on my car and I don't think this repair would be covered under warranty. How much would I be looking in terms of cost to get the VTC Actuator replaced? I also noticed that ever since the rattle started happening on cold starts, my car is burning a lot of oil. I have to keep a bottle at home just in case it runs out. Recently, I checked the oil level and it was literally almost empty. Are these two related? And if I get the VTC Actuator replaced, does it take care of the oil consumptions issues as well, hopefully?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
sounds like the vtc actuator. I paid I think about 550 to get mine replaced (I live in canada), and was out of warranty as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes... I just got mine fixed yesterday from a local shop for $565.00
It never burned oil...but it is fixed
Airlaird

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes... I just got mine fixed yesterday from a local shop for $565.00
It never burned oil...but it is fixed
Airlaird
Did you take it to Honda?

I took mine to a local Honda dealership yesterday and the guy quoted me $650 for the VTC actuator replacement. He then showed me that Honda had extended my warranty for oil consumption issues till January 2015 or 160,000KM. He suggested that I live with the rattle until my next oil change (Mine is due in about 200KM) and bring it in to the dealership for the oil change. He suggested to put the car under an oil consumption test and bring it in every 1000KM so they can monitor and document the whole thing to send to Honda Canada. If they get approval to replace the piston rings based on their findings, he said they will go ahead and replace the VTC Actuator, Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner under warranty since they will already be in that section of the engine, so I will pay nothing for labor. I will only be paying for parts. He said that will cost me about $450 - $500.

What should I do? Should I take it somewhere to get the VTC Actuator replaced or wait it out and let them do the oil consumption test?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish I knew that Honda had extended the warranty for the oil consumption issues till January 2015 or roughly 100K miles as I would have been getting my vehicle checked out for that over the last year and a half. I'm around 108K miles, so that doesn't help me any now... damn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you take it to Honda?

I took mine to a local Honda dealership yesterday and the guy quoted me $650 for the VTC actuator replacement. He then showed me that Honda had extended my warranty for oil consumption issues till January 2015 or 160,000KM. He suggested that I live with the rattle until my next oil change (Mine is due in about 200KM) and bring it in to the dealership for the oil change. He suggested to put the car under an oil consumption test and bring it in every 1000KM so they can monitor and document the whole thing to send to Honda Canada. If they get approval to replace the piston rings based on their findings, he said they will go ahead and replace the VTC Actuator, Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner under warranty since they will already be in that section of the engine, so I will pay nothing for labor. I will only be paying for parts. He said that will cost me about $450 - $500.

What should I do? Should I take it somewhere to get the VTC Actuator replaced or wait it out and let them do the oil consumption test?
Well, again I had no issue of burning oil...but again, I had mine fixed for the same amount of money you will have to pay for parts...so you can do the math. If there is a chance for damage to the piston rings,,WAIT, bring it to them for your next oil change and let them take care of it..
Well...

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
With the discussion about the VTC issue, I have been really watching (listening) to mine, but so far nothing out of the ordinary. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Scott C.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
replacing the actuator is only a band aid. that won't heal. it will fester and bleed...and DIE AGAIN! burning oil will be the virus. it needs to be irradiated!

piston rings are the cause, pistons need to be replaced.

as far as I am aware 4 cylinder models to not have a warranty extension for this problem in the USA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts