Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a certified used 08 accord about a month ago. I recently noticed the cold start rattle / grinding noise. With help from this forum I believe that it is the VTC actuator. I would like to get your guys opinion before I take it to Honda for the repair. Sound like VTC actuator?? Since this car was purchased less than a month ago and the car is certified should I run into any problems with Honda service?

Thanks in advanced for you assistance. This is a great forum with abundance of info. This is my 3rd Honda purchase first 98' civic and 06 accord. I Loved my 06 Accord but it was totaled (not my fault.. and nobody was hurt) Thanks!

http://youtu.be/BjD-4xAulAw

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes that is the VTC

There is a TSB Bulletin for it. Mine does it on cold mornings only for some reason. I still havent taken it in, but I learned to just leace the key in a little longer while im turning it lol

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
basically you got jerked from the dealer you got it from for selling you a certified car for more money with a major problem (VTC actuator)

yes thats what the problem is and they better replace it for free

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone had their VTC Actuator replaced and later down the road it fails again?

I've read they replace with the same part but does anyone know if Honda improved on the part or improved on a component so the part doesn't fail prematurely?

Just wnat to know if after its fixed is it just a matter of time until it needs to be fixed again.

Thanks!

·
08 Accord 5spd
37 Posts
Be careful at the stealership. I was in the same situation a few months ago with the VCT actuator. I told them firsthand what it was and they made me pay for an "oil consumption test" to see if that was the case. Basically they "inspected" and said that my car was low on oil yet charged me $300 for the "test"...I argued and gave up.

The next day the noise appeared again. Took it right back and they finally admitted that it was the VTC actuator and fixed it free of cost. (Certified pre-owned).

Don't let them get you with the "oil consumption test" BS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
FWIW, mine recently went in for the VTC actuator but they did an oil consumption test and found the engine to be consuming/burning oil. The pistons and rings had to be replaced.

The engine had used about half a quart since my last oil change in early April (about 4k km ago). Anyway, it was all covered under the powertrain warranty. The guys at the dealership took the time to explain that the noise I heard was the VTC actuator but the noise was being caused because of low oil in the engine. So, from what I understood the VTC noise can occur from a cold startup or low oil in the engine.

Anyway, don't dismiss the oil consumption test because it could point out a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this problem with a leased 2011 accord 4cyl. Now I bought a 2008 accord 4cyl coupe and the same problem here! My certified warranty expired few months ago. What should I do? Will they still fix it for free? Anything I can say for them to fix it for free?

·
09 2DR SMR EX - Aphrodite
53 Posts
Ugh I have the same issue. I never really thought about it until I saw this post! Taking it to the dealership ASAP!

·
Registered
13 Posts
What does it sound like? Mine makes a noise at start-up on cold mornings. I wouldn't describe it as a grinding sound. It sounds...pardon the goofy analogy...like a high pitched owl saying, "Who!" Should I be worrying about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep! Dropped my car of last night so dealer could start in the AM. Techs confirmed VTC actuator. Repair is covered under drive train certified warranty. My Honda repair dealer didn't give me any hassle over warranty stuff and they were pretty honest when I asked if this was a well known problem... which it is.

I'll keep posted after repair is complete.

Below is a you vid kinda explaining actuator

http://youtu.be/OtRlQrAc5IY

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone had their VTC Actuator replaced and later down the road it fails again?

I've read they replace with the same part but does anyone know if Honda improved on the part or improved on a component so the part doesn't fail prematurely?

Just wnat to know if after its fixed is it just a matter of time until it needs to be fixed again.

Thanks!
I've had mine replaced twice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i bought my car used in sept 2012 and i noticed the sound the day after i bought it. i came on these forums for the first time and found out the problem. I went to the dealer and they fixed it without any hassle. they didnt believe that i had to problem so i had to leave the car over night so they can hear the problem right in the morning during a cold start. the funny thing was that my vin number wasnt part of the list that honda had compiled.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Today I checked mine and may have heard a faint noise, but I never noticed it when starting. Mine never uses any oil between 5000 mile changes.

You that have the VTC Actuator replaced, was yours loosing oil too?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I still got mine doing it on extremely cold mornings but im completely out of warranty. If it starts doing this winter im going to have to call Honda and see what I can do

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can someone explain what the vtc does? What is the fix?
Airlaird

i bought my car used in sept 2012 and i noticed the sound the day after i bought it. i came on these forums for the first time and found out the problem. I went to the dealer and they fixed it without any hassle. they didnt believe that i had to problem so i had to leave the car over night so they can hear the problem right in the morning during a cold start. the funny thing was that my vin number wasnt part of the list that honda had compiled.
Where can i find this list of vins please.?
Airlaird

·
09 2DR SMR EX - Aphrodite
53 Posts
just got back from the dealer and they fixed it no problem. I didn't have to leave it over night, just let the engine cool for about an hour or so... couple hours later they replace it and I make my way home. piece of cake! but power train warranty is only 56,000.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts