Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hello
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started getting around freezing temp lately ( 0*c ;) ) in the gta

started getting 20-30kms~ less than what i usually get (95% open city driving 80km/h 5% highway on the weekends)

eco on or off, heat on 2 bars, just me driving, i let the car sit for 2 minutes~ every morning 13' sport

has the colder weather been affecting your mpgs?

·
Registered
352 Posts
With the below freezing temps here in the states lately, I can never get 35 miles per gallon on the highway to work any more. I get at most 28 now. My weekly average with almost all highway is down to 26 miles per gallon down from 30 before. I drive really conservatively too with the leaf!

The cold definitely affects MPG big time :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
they have additives in the gas now its been freezing... i thought my imid was tracking wrong, so i did it by hand... came out the same.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I like cold weather...at least what AZ people consider cold, which is < 50F ;)

Moar horsepower, with a 0-60 time that's dropped about a half second from the summer.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Same here in PA. Big mileage drop with the 20's and 30's rolling in.

I think Winter/Summer gas is a hoax. Since here in PA all gas no matter what grade or station contains 10% ethanol the "additives" are in the gas year round. Back in the day not so.

I do have a station that has ethanol free but at 40 cents more a gallon not sure I would gain anything.

Star Tron is my friend I buy a case each year. All I can do to fight ethanol and some of the nasty things it does that cold really brings to the front.

After the car is good and warm I get some of my mileage back but not like when I bought it late summer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My MPG's (mostly highway) have dropped from around 34 to around 32 here in Ohio. Cold temps, winds and Winter gas all have an effect for sure.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Definitely felt a decrease, although I did not measure it, I'm quite sure of it though since I'm used to watching my MPG meter as I drive.

Definitely takes longer to get up to operating temperatures, which is where it eats a lot of fuel.

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
83 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
greetings from Florida! :wave:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm on track for my worst tank MPG since the first tank provided by the dealer when I got 31.9 MPG. Temps in TN have been in the 30's and 40's for the past week. I've got about 105 miles of range left on my current fill-up and the iMID says 32 MPG. A long way from be best tank average of 34.3 LOL. Glad I'm not the only one noticing a significant drop in mileage.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
My tank over tank average has dropped from 31 to 28 starting about 4 weeks ago.

Jay

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Yup most definitely lost some MPG in colder weather. I normally fill up when I hit 500 miles in the summer when the light turns on. Now the light comes on around 390-400 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2013 sport in Niagara - yep was noticing that too over the last couple of weeks with things cooling off...and then...this last weekend, I pulled off the 18s (man...they weigh a ton)...and put on my 215-60-16 winter steelies - and mileage improved again to almost where I was in the summer!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Winter fuel is different than summer fuel. Both contain 10% ethanol, but winter fuel contains other additives that cause it to release less heat when burned and therefore less power. You must burn more of it to accomplish the same amount of work.

Air density increases by 2% for every 10°F decrease in temperature. 30°F air is 10% thicker than 80°F air. That increases drag. Drag increases exponentially with speed, which means cold air will hurt highway mpg more than city mpg.

If you do more short trips, you’ll spend disproportionally more with the engine running cold. It takes longer to warm up. And while cold, the engine runs rich which hurts mpg.

Reactions: A7334321

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Winter fuel is different than summer fuel. Both contain 10% ethanol, but winter fuel contains other additives that cause it to release less heat when burned and therefore less power. You must burn more of it to accomplish the same amount of work.

Air density increases by 2% for every 10°F decrease in temperature. 30°F air is 10% thicker than 80°F air. That increases drag. Drag increases exponentially with speed, which means cold air will hurt highway mpg more than city mpg.

If you do more short trips, you’ll spend disproportionally more with the engine running cold. It takes longer to warm up. And while cold, the engine runs rich which hurts mpg.
I agree with you except the that a 10% increase in air density would not result in enough parasitic drag to affect fuel milage. The engine computer can certainly compensate the fuel mixture for the higher density of the air. Basically, winter fuel blends and longer warm up time are the real culprits for lower MPGs.

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Like most members here, I have also noticed a decrease in MPG as the cold weather rolls in. I used to average about 32mpg between April-Sept. I went carless for 2 months but after getting another Accord about 2 weeks ago, I see the MPG around at 28 now.

Damn the cold!

·
2014 Sport
7 Posts
Let the engine warm up to normal operating temp when it's below 30-40 degrees and see what happens. I haven't done any testing on my Accord yet but I know the cold engine strategy wastes gas on my wife's 2013 Ford Escape. If it isn't warmed up the gas mileage sucks ass...about 4-5 mpg below normal for short trips.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts