Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a video from a guy who claims to be a Honda mobile mechanic, where he addresses common issues with the 1.5. I’m not bashing the 1.5 at all. I used to own one and it was a wonderful car. I’m just posting this for some who were wondering if there was any truth to some of the claims people have about the 1.5 liter engine.

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here’s a video from a guy who claims to be a Honda mobile mechanic, where he addresses common issues with the 1.5. I’m not bashing the 1.5 at all. I used to own one and it was a wonderful car. I’m just posting this for some who were wondering if there was any truth to some of the claims people have about the 1.5 liter engine.

What are the white marks on the door? Anybody know?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the white marks on the door? Anybody know?
Don’t have a clue. Sometimes auto body men use a marker to indicate where they will do body work but the body on this car looks good. You can always ask in the comment section of the video 🙂

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,573 Posts
It's kind of nice to hear about common issues from someone who actually works on those cars regularly rather than all the people I see on the internet who have maybe seen like one or two Hondas from 20 years ago and are going around the internet saying that all Hondas have garbage transmissions and to stay away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's kind of nice to hear about common issues from someone who actually works on those cars regularly rather than all the people I see on the internet who have maybe seen like one or two Hondas from 20 years ago and are going around the internet saying that all Hondas have garbage transmissions and to stay away.
Exactly!, which is why I made this thread.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Plus you may hear about the 2 guys who blew a head gasket but never hear from the 295,000 who don't have an issue ( made up number but shows my point )
More than that. For both numbers.

Honda has sold more than 1M Accords since 2018 in US alone (seems a lot, but that number sucks compared to prior gens). I’m not saying the cars not good, I like 10G just as much, if not more than prior gens.

Anyways, the point is, if we assume 20% HAH and 20% 2.0t (made up numbers, but reasonably conservative guesstimate I think), we’re looking at over 600k+ 1.5t Accords since 2018. Of course, if you want to talk about non vehicle specific powertrain issues, 1.5t has existed on every CRV since 2017 (minus 2017-18 LX that had the 2.4) and many Civics since 2016, you’re literally talking about millions of cars with 1.5t. That’s why I’ve been saying while I don’t doubt problem exists, it’s not as bad as a few folks here make it out to be. Honda isn’t stupid, they would’ve ditched it during MMC if any of the models I mentioned had an issue that they could not resolve.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
port & polish everything
1,783 Posts
No offense to any 1.5T owners, couple years ago I had no opinions nor comments about this, but the 1.5T is not aging well and problem reports trending in the wrong direction. This supposed mechanic does have another short about a blown 1.5T headgasket on a 2021 which would be almost new. You can flip through the comments to get some more details.

Even today blown headgaskets on the J and K engines are still almost unheard of. In the teardown video you can see speedshops saying a modified L15 can't even hold 300 lb-ft of torque, which is almost nothing even for aftermarket turbo or supercharge K24 which the aftermarket has been doing for nearly 20 years now. You can see in the teardown all the internals in the K series are twice the size of the L15, including the rods, crank, bearings, bolts/headstuds. This is despite the same factory power rating of the 1.5T vs any K24.

Yes of course it is possible to build a small and strong engine like the 1.6T in the GR Corolla/Yaris but the L15 doesn't seem to be it. The L series engine was originally launched as a Fit design and even a sub 100 HP economy engine for 3rd world markets. It seems like Honda might have pushed the architecture too hard for some combination of design stack/tolerances and operating conditions.

There is of course the possibility that some combination of environmental/operating factors may make problems more likely such as hot environments, abuse, poor maintenance and low quality fuel/oils. Particularly in turbo GDI engines, poor quality oil can contribute to LSPI and of course poor quality fuel and/or hot regions also. But it is their engineers responsibility to design margins for any production variability and the entire operating envelope of all markets.

Seeing these reports now, for any non enthusiast I personally knew, who just wants a reliable basic sedan I'd probably suggest the 2.5 Camry instead. The Camry also doesn't have that stupid exposed radar sensor that can get damaged or stolen now because the part is on perpetual backorder. Plus practically speaking Honda is still struggling to build cars, where Toyota is slightly less impacted by supply chain issues.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Does anyone know who makes an across the board mainstream bullet proof turbo? That's why I'll probably never buy one. I've had 2 K24 naturally aspirated and a K24 DI and they were all flawless although at launch the DI K24 had the vibration issue which created a media outcry which Honda had to acknowledge. Then they come out with the 1.5T and again a media disaster which once again Honda had to address.

I've also had V6's in Odysseys and DI V6's in a Ridgeline and Passport but my favorite was the Port Injected J35 that I had in my 14 Accord. It was quiet, smooth and pulled effortlessly. It did have some bad VCM vibrations in winter but I still loved it. Now I have some Toyota 2.5's they seem similar to the K24's buzzy workhorses but in Hybrid form with an E-CVT it is workhorse perfection. Let's see how Toyota pulls off this 2.7 turbo to replace their legendary V6's. I don't think it has a chance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone know who makes an across the board mainstream bullet proof turbo? That's why I'll probably never buy one. I've had 2 K24 naturally aspirated and a K24 DI and they were all flawless although at launch the DI K24 had the vibration issue which created a media outcry which Honda had to acknowledge. Then they come out with the 1.5T and again a media disaster which once again Honda had to address.

I've also had V6's in Odysseys and DI V6's in a Ridgeline and Passport but my favorite was the Port Injected J35 that I had in my 14 Accord. It was quiet, smooth and pulled effortlessly. It did have some bad VCM vibrations in winter but I still loved it. Now I have some Toyota 2.5's they seem similar to the K24's buzzy workhorses but in Hybrid form with an E-CVT it is workhorse perfection. Let's see how Toyota pulls off this 2.7 turbo to replace their legendary V6's. I don't think it has a chance.
Yeah, the company name is Honda and the turbo engine is a K20C4!!!! 🙄

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
No offense to any 1.5T owners, couple years ago I had no opinions nor comments about this, but the 1.5T is not aging well and problem reports trending in the wrong direction. This supposed mechanic does have another short about a blown 1.5T headgasket on a 2021 which would be almost new. You can flip through the comments to get some more details.

Even today blown headgaskets on the J and K engines are still almost unheard of. In the teardown video you can see speedshops saying a modified L15 can't even hold 300 lb-ft of torque, which is almost nothing even for aftermarket turbo or supercharge K24 which the aftermarket has been doing for nearly 20 years now. You can see in the teardown all the internals in the K series are twice the size of the L15, including the rods, crank, bearings, bolts/headstuds. This is despite the same factory power rating of the 1.5T vs any K24.

Yes of course it is possible to build a small and strong engine like the 1.6T in the GR Corolla/Yaris but the L15 doesn't seem to be it. The L series engine was originally launched as a Fit design and even a sub 100 HP economy engine for 3rd world markets. It seems like Honda might have pushed the architecture too hard for some combination of design stack/tolerances and operating conditions.

There is of course the possibility that some combination of environmental/operating factors may make problems more likely such as hot environments, abuse, poor maintenance and low quality fuel/oils. Particularly in turbo GDI engines, poor quality oil can contribute to LSPI and of course poor quality fuel and/or hot regions also. But it is their engineers responsibility to design margins for any production variability and the entire operating envelope of all markets.

Seeing these reports now, for any non enthusiast I personally knew, who just wants a reliable basic sedan I'd probably suggest the 2.5 Camry instead. The Camry also doesn't have that stupid exposed radar sensor that can get damaged or stolen now because the part is on perpetual backorder. Plus practically speaking Honda is still struggling to build cars, where Toyota is slightly less impacted by supply chain issues.

hmmm I don’t know. I just watched the video. I don’t hold anything against the guy but I also didn’t really hear anything to worry about either. He basically kept saying the car can’t hold the power and torque like the other Honda motors in the past like the K24. Personally I’m a fan of k24 too and think they were great too, but does it make 1.5t bad? Let’s assume his claim is all true, is that really all bad news for the average 1.5t Accord owner? Most 1.5t Accord owners, I’d imagine, won’t ever tune their Accord. If you do and your engine fails because it can’t hold 300hp or that much torque beyond stock numbers, is that really Honda’s fault?

The 3.5 from the TL is also a very good V6 motor performance wise. It was a tad slower and got worse city mpg, but to me I liked it a bit more due to its smooth delivery of power without VCM. I was looking at a 9G AV6 first, test drove both before getting the J35 in the TL when I traded the 2014.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I firmly believe Honda is not putting out the same quality stuff they used to. Condensing everything in the name of saving the environment has had a negative impact. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to make more sense to have a slightly less efficient engine that lasts forever than a more efficient engine that's constantly needing to be repaired/replaced/etc.

Even on traditionally reliable engine families like the J series and K series, we're seeing them being morphed into something less reliable. You have GDI on the J and K series now, Auto Idle Stop, VCM on the J series still, etc. All things compromising reliability and maintenance costs in the name of efficiency. And it's no coincidence that the quality has started to go down around the same time all this was introduced.

The 3.5 from the TL is also a very good V6 motor performance wise. It was a tad slower and got worse city mpg, but to me I liked it a bit more due to its smooth delivery of power without VCM. I was looking at a 9G AV6 first, test drove both before getting the J35 in the TL when I traded the 2014.
I never had a chance to test drive it, but I did look at a 2012 TL (it had even lower mileage than my Accord does now, it had only 19k miles on it) last year. It definitely seemed like a nice car and I had no doubt that its non-VCM J35 would be a solid, fun engine.

You also have to remember that no VCM also means full VTEC capability. Yes, you can disable VCM, but you can't get VTEC back.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I firmly believe Honda is not putting out the same quality stuff they used to. Condensing everything in the name of saving the environment has had a negative impact. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to make more sense to have a slightly less efficient engine that lasts forever than a more efficient engine that's constantly needing to be repaired/replaced/etc.

Even on traditionally reliable engine families like the J series and K series, we're seeing them being morphed into something less reliable. You have GDI on the J and K series now, Auto Idle Stop, VCM on the J series still, etc. All things compromising reliability and maintenance costs in the name of efficiency. And it's no coincidence that the quality has started to go down around the same time all this was introduced.

I never had a chance to test drive it, but I did look at a 2012 TL (it had even lower mileage than my Accord does now, it had only 19k miles on it) last year. It definitely seemed like a nice car and I had no doubt that its non-VCM J35 would be a solid, fun engine.

You also have to remember that no VCM also means full VTEC capability. Yes, you can disable VCM, but you can't get VTEC back.
I don’t disagree on quality seemingly going down overall. I obviously don’t own the 1.5t so can’t say for sure. Just logically speaking, if it’s a serious issue and Honda knows it, wouldn’t it make sense for them to just ditch the engine and come up with something new? Aren’t the new Integra, Civic, and CRV all continuing with the 1.5t? It seems betting their reputation on this one engine is kinda silly, if it does have serious flaws that can’t be fixed, isn’t it?

·
Registered
95 Posts

Believe whatever bullshit you like if it confirms your own biases and helps you to sleep at night. 😂

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Believe whatever bullshit you like if it confirms your own biases and helps you to sleep at night. 😂
Same to you...

Reactions: Markus
1 - 20 of 33 Posts