Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rollin in FL
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have been looking at others on how they drive in Florida and boy, where are their manners and common sense. I understand many people may not know about the left lane law or how the left lane is supposed to be used (left lane is meant to be used as a passing lane), but the sheer utter amount of entitlement and ignorance of many people, hog up this lane, doing the speed limit or below and not caring about the person behind them. Go figure! If there isn't even any traffic, this lane should be empty regardless unless you are passing a vehicle in the right lane, as hogging up this lane leads to a delayed response for first responders. I'd show some bias towards a brand here if I wasn't observing everyone, but everyone is fair play.

Although, I have been seeing way too many Toyota Corollas not caring about people behind them on the left lane, and these Corollas are not even the recalled years (generation) of the unintended acceleration issue, so they should not have an issue of having a stuck accelerator pedal from the factory. Heck, they are not even passing anyone, but they are being passed by everyone else by using the lane of travel (not lane of passing). However, I also have been starting to see Honda's too breaking the same law, so this is where I am not going to be biased.

In addition to this issue, when the person in front of you has an indicator on to tell which way they are going and if they are going in the same direction as you, this does not allow you to jump the curb or go on the emergency shoulder and cut the person off. And passing a person on the shoulder when the vehicle in the passing lane is going the same rate of speed as the person in the lane of travel, you will more likely rear-end a state trooper or a vehicle that is disabled on the shoulder. Regardless, if you use the curb or emergency shoulder to cut someone off, you clearly need to be taken to a psychiatrist and go through a complete driving school course (possibly lose your license), as this is not just illegal, but also dangerous! Also if you happen to collide with the vehicle you are illegally trying to pass by doing such maneuvers, don't blame the driver who is in the right, because this will look bad for you if there are any witnesses or cameras who saw or recorded the entire incident.

And when you are talking with the police during the incident statement, please don't act like a child and don't be all excited that you are trying to screw an innocent person over for your lack of patience! It's just going to make you look even worse in a situation that you caused.

Also, red-light runners, please think about slamming those brakes when it's about to change from amber to red or if it's literally the red color.

Having common sense and knowing the rules of the road makes it a lot safer for everyone that results in fewer collisions, which means fewer people get injured or may not be able to see their life the next moment. And as a result of fewer collisions, our (the United States of America, to be exact) road system and infrastructure will be better (not like politics and money is involved, but data and numbers are).

Why am I going off this rant? Because some ignorant and immature Homo sapien did this exact illegal maneuver on Tuesday (October 29) and hit my mother and brother (keep in mind, my mom is afraid of vehicles and driving since the horrible front-end collision we had that happened back in 2005) and caused $2,085 in bodywork and $100 for realigning the vehicle. And to top things off, I still have no clue why she needed to call a few of her buddies to back her up and trying to underestimate my mom and brother, and then immediately called her insurance and filed an insurance claim, while we are trying to figure out why our insurance premiums have increased for this upcoming cycle. Lady, you are 40+ years old, keep your act together and have common sense.

If none of this still makes any sense, a YouTuber by the name Casey did a video series called Left Lane losers

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,573 Posts
Nothing posted here is new. It has always happened, and will continue until all vehicles are autonomous. You can control you, no one else. Everyone knows the rules of the road; it’s not an ignorance issue, just a disregard.

·
Rollin in FL
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone knows the rules of the road; it’s not an ignorance issue, just a disregard.
How is it disregard yet the police won't displine those that do such acts (aside from CHP)? They pull over people that speed and ticket them, but they won't pull lane hogs and illegal lane cutters and giving them tickets.

Also, shouldn't the all driving examinations test drivers if they know the rule of the road? Some places the driving exam is literally a loop behind the DMV building.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,573 Posts
It’s a logistical issue. States don’t have the time and resources for extensive driving tests. Some states have to schedule driving tests due to the sheer number. Further, the police are tied up with responding to calls for service and rarely have time for simple traffic infraction stops.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would also like to add to this list of bad etiquette those who pass you only to slow down as soon as they get in front of you.

About left lane cruisers, not all hope is lost:

·
Super Moderator
12,781 Posts
On the plus side, China! Remember they started a pilot program in a few cities where they would pay regular citizens to send in dash cam footage of other drivers breaking the law. These dash cam people earned 10% of the government fine levied onto the misbehaving driver. One guy profiled made an extra $3,000 a month by figuring out the places where bad drivers would ignore the law- and were the highest fines. He would just record and collect.

Even in freedom and due process loving America, we know that a percentage of drivers are complete sociopaths- we just are too broke to assign resources to catching them. Most have insurance anyway, so cops don't really care who hit whom. They did not take an oath to keep State Farm from raising your rates.

At some point, maybe 10 - 20 years from now, you will see front cameras/recorders mandatory in all new cars. You would have the option to turn it off, of course- but it would be there.

Most local and state governments have been lousy stewards of our tax dollars. Illinois is a case study on how crime pays, and pays very well, if you are elected and want to make your friends rich.

·
Rollin in FL
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the plus side, China! Remember they started a pilot program in a few cities where they would pay regular citizens to send in dash cam footage of other drivers breaking the law. These dash cam people earned 10% of the government fine levied onto the misbehaving driver. One guy profiled made an extra $3,000 a month by figuring out the places where bad drivers would ignore the law- and were the highest fines. He would just record and collect.

Even in freedom and due process loving America, we know that a percentage of drivers are complete morons- we just are too broke to assign resources to catching them. Most have insurance anyway, so cops don't really care who hit whom.
You'd be surprized that both times we got into front end collisions the driver at fault was uninsured. And both times we went through our own insurance since the vehicles were few months old, and the value of the vehicles are more than $10k.

Right now I'm doing my best to convince my father to buy dash cameras for all three vehicles (the cheapo dash cams from walmart doesnt have over record option). And speaking of dash cams, those are lifesavers tbh.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Even in freedom and due process loving America, we know that a percentage of drivers are complete sociopaths- we just are too broke to assign resources to catching them.
Traffic violators are the best customers of a LEO, because if you pull over a speeder, most of the time it's ka-ching and have a good day. Revenue.

If you decide to go after a meth dealer, most of the time they will resist (danger). Pursuit ensues (effort), they will have to be detained (expense), brought to a court (expense) and if found guilty, jailed (expense).

That's why setting up speed traps to catch people doing 39 in 35 is a more rewarding initiative.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,573 Posts
Traffic violators are the best customers of a LEO, because if you pull over a speeder, most of the time it's ka-ching and have a good day. Revenue.

If you decide to go after a meth dealer, most of the time they will resist (danger). Pursuit ensues (effort), they will have to be detained (expense), brought to a court (expense) and if found guilty, jailed (expense).

That's why setting up speed traps to catch people doing 39 in 35 is a more rewarding initiative.
This is a myth. Individual agencies do not get revenue from traffic citations. That would be unethical. I have never stopped someone for four over, but if I did it would most likely result in a simple warning.

Further tactics are taught to minimize resistance of those being arrested and are very effective.

As for pursuits, many departments have policies against pursuits unless several criteria are met.

Fines are in place to help fund the other expense-related aspects of the justice system.

·
Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
Common sense has been replaced by things like Honda Sense. People are using water bottles to avoid having to steer the cars. The same people will then post about a crash and blame Honda Sense for not stopping the car or get mad when the sensors don't work in the snow or they can't use cruise control beyond 90 mph.

It's not just FL there is a guy from Georgia in a facebook group that I'm in who posts videos of himself driving aggressively and then blame other drivers for his near misses. He gets likes on his videos and he's happy.

All we can do is be mindful of our surroundings when driving.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Related, everyone should read up on the zipper merge if you ever blocked someone because you thought it was unfair that they were getting in front of you, you were WRONG. Here they just installed a new round about, totally sucks, it actually has lanes that end and merge, I avoid it whenever possible.

·
Rollin in FL
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Common sense has been replaced by things like Honda Sense. People are using water bottles to avoid having to steer the cars. The same people will then post about a crash and blame Honda Sense for not stopping the car or get mad when the sensors don't work in the snow or they can't use cruise control beyond 90 mph.

It's not just FL there is a guy from Georgia in a facebook group that I'm in who posts videos of himself driving aggressively and then blame other drivers for his near misses. He gets likes on his videos and he's happy.

All we can do is be mindful of our surroundings when driving.
I can relate here... I almost crashed my moms brand new 2019 Rogue after 11 days we bought it. Nissan's Forward Emergency Braking system doesn't alert the driver to brake, which I find it weird considering Honda Sensing (AcuraWatch) blares at you and flashes Brake in bold and capital letters. And then the Rogue decides to brake its self in the middle of Interstate 4 because my hands werent on the steering wheel and I ignored its warning. Like poor implimentation of a system. I expected the system to shut off after ignoring the warning, but dang, it didnt give a single crap about surrounding traffic and just full on slammed the brakes like a (insert words).

And while Honda sensing works in all types of driving, Nissan's ProPilot assist works with cruise control turned on ONLY, which is useless for those that doesnt exercise the use of cruise control.

So, having common sense is needed when your vehicle isnt equipped with the intelligence of common sense.

·
Legitimate hack
1,596 Posts
I don't know why its still called "common" sense when it isn't common anymore. Hasn't been common in decades.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Related, everyone should read up on the zipper merge if you ever blocked someone because you thought it was unfair that they were getting in front of you, you were WRONG. Here they just installed a new round about, totally sucks, it actually has lanes that end and merge, I avoid it whenever possible.
This would be all well and good in a world where all the participants understood the rules. We, however don't live in that world. Drivers that run the closing lane in a brazen and inconsiderate act of selfishness deserve to get blocked when most of the others have lined up well in advance of that lane closure.. Seeing their rage through the rear view mirror is further evidence of this point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This would be all well and good in a world where all the participants understood the rules. We, however don't live in that world. Drivers that run the closing lane in a brazen and inconsiderate act of selfishness deserve to get blocked when most of the others have lined up well in advance of that lane closure.. Seeing their rage through the rear view mirror is further evidence of this point.

There is a book out; I think it is called Traffic, oddly enough. It is a scholarly tome, citing all kinds of studies, etc. One of the topics is MERGES and studies have found that late mergers, like you denigrate, do not, in fact slow down traffic overall. In fact a merging situation where the closing lane is full of late mergers up to the final merge point is more efficient than where everyone in the closing lane is an early merger. Sounds counterintuitive to me, but perhaps there is something to it. I have seen merges where there are signs instructing drivers to use all lanes and take turns at the point where the lane ends.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is a book out; I think it is called Traffic, oddly enough. It is a scholarly tome, citing all kinds of studies, etc. One of the topics is MERGES and studies have found that late mergers, like you denigrate, do not, in fact slow down traffic overall. In fact a merging situation where the closing lane is full of late mergers up to the final merge point is more efficient than where everyone in the closing lane is an early merger. Sounds counterintuitive to me, but perhaps there is something to it. I have seen merges where there are signs instructing drivers to use all lanes and take turns at the point where the lane ends.
This would assume that everyone is working together to share the space. In theory, this would work splendidly. I have almost never seen this behavior exhibited in the wild.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This would assume that everyone is working together to share the space. In theory, this would work splendidly. I have almost never seen this behavior exhibited in the wild.

I did, just yesterday. After multiple years of road construction in Milwaukee on I-41 there is still a bottleneck where the left lane goes away in one location. There are signs to "Use all lanes during backups" and shortly thereafter to "Take turns at merge". I went down the left lane, which was half-full compared to the other lanes. I merged at close to the last possible point. It worked well and I didn't experience any road rage.

·
Rollin in FL
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something related to this, but I need to say it: If the police said something, follow it. We were literally about to be screwed over by that lady had I not called our insurance this morning. The police had a purpose for not exchanging insurance information, yet she had the nerve to blame us. Our insurance clearly understood something was wrong here, since there was conflicting stories, and they told us they aren't allowing USAA to get their "money" from us, but they did started to work on our vehicle ASAP this morning!

And @HondaBob that's great that some part of the country actually enforces road rules which lower road rage. Like most of the country should follow Milwaukee or Germany in lowering road rage incidents.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

I hear you but when you take emotion out of it it's more efficient to run the lane all the way to the end. Use all of the pavement. I don't do it either because it's tough to get back in at the merge and get all the dirty looks. Now, I don't get mad at the late mergers because they are smart and selfish as they pass all of us that are too stupid to use the lane to the end. I instead focus my attention to those that cut in front of me before a lane exit. Yeah I'm an ahole but I go out of my way to make it extra difficult for them and I love my Accord for this. Can't easily close gaps with my other cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts