Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive been wanting to do this for a long time and i finally got around to it. I took pictures step by step along the way. hope you like.

And yes, I am aware that my brights are not as bright because of this, but they're not bad. And high temp paint was used so it'll be fine.

the stock headlight.

removing the headlights, i got 3 calls because my neighbors thought i wecked my car lol

getting started.

usually you wouldnt do this at this high of a temp, but because our headlights are so long, my oven wouldnt shut. so i would place it in the oven with the door open for a minute at a time.

after removing all of the plastic, rubber and lens screws, they were ready to go. i had them on a trey with a towel.

finally open, time to disassemble.

all taken apart and ready to go to a local paint shop.

back from paint, two coats of NHBP and a coat of clear. i let them dry for a few hours.

all put together and ready to go back on the car. i resealed them with clear silicone and once they were dry, i put silicone around the edges because you can never be too safe ;)

back on the car. watch out corvette and honda fit, honda accord coming though. :)

with the factory lights on. unfortunately, my HID's didnt come in for another 2 weeks.

once the HID's came in, i had to take my damn bumper of AGAIN. while it was off, i took out the fog lights and smoked them with one light coat of black. i actually had to drive my car like this while the fogs dried and everyone once again thought i crashed it lol

clean cut, with fogs.

black housed with HID's

black housed and smoked fogs with ddm tuning 6k 35w HID's.

mission accomplished. :banana:

blacked out emblems for the final touch.

sooo what do you think?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So uh... since you painted over the reflectors... How does your high beam function?

·
1 UP
1,467 Posts
So uh... since you painted over the reflectors... How does your high beam function?
HAHAHA i was thinking the same thing...

now u need to black out ur grill..

and think about how the black paint will absorb tons of heat from the high beam, maybe causing them to bubble and pop or just chip slowly...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so to answer all of you debbie downers, the high beams aren't as bright as they were but they're not bad. The paint that was used is high temp paint, it'll hold up just fine. Plus, how often do you use your highs? Four HID bulbs are in the front of my car, it's plenty bright.

The black grille is on it's way ;)

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Your Grass looks great! :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks nice!

I would have kept the high beams unpainted, but as long as you like it man. Goes well with your theme.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was thinking the reduced output from the reflection through the original chrome plating too.....

And, I don't think it's cop friendly huh?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Ok, so to answer all of you debbie downers, the high beams aren't as bright as they were but they're not bad. The paint that was used is high temp paint, it'll hold up just fine. Plus, how often do you use your highs? Four HID bulbs are in the front of my car, it's plenty bright.

The black grille is on it's way ;)
:rolleyes:

First you asked what people thought of this mod. Then people replied and, when the replies were not to your liking, you resort to name calling (debbie downers). Nice.

Did the paint shop sand the deposited-aluminum before they painted? If they didn't you can expect the paint to peel within a few months.

I hope you didn't seal the lights with silicone. Silicone will cause fogging of the lenses and of any exposed deposited-aluminum. Also the silicone will lose its effectiveness at sealing in a year or so (perhaps less) and then you'll get dirt and moisture inside the housings.

·
Should Have Went 5peed
309 Posts

First you asked what people thought of this mod. Then people replied and, when the replies were not to your liking, you resort to name calling (debbie downers). Nice.

Did the paint shop sand the deposited-aluminum before they painted? If they didn't you can expect the paint to peel within a few months.

I hope you didn't seal the lights with silicone. Silicone will cause fogging of the lenses and of any exposed deposited-aluminum. Also the silicone will lose its effectiveness at sealing in a year or so (perhaps less) and then you'll get dirt and moisture inside the housings.
What do u suggest to seal the headlights with. I just opened mine and i thought silicone was the way to go?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

LOL "name calling" im sure these people are so offended. And dont insult my intelligence, sir. of course the pieces were sanded before being painted; it goes hand in hand with a project like this.

and yes, i did use silicone, as does everyone who attempts this project. but whats sealing the head light is the original gunk between the lends and housing. the silicone is just extra humidity prevention.

it has been 2 months since ive done this project and there isnt a trace of humidity inside the lights. keep in mind that i wash my car once a week, it rains like hell in miami, and its the most humid, miserable place on the planet. i think i did it right.

the only difference between this project and any other black house project is that i painted over my high's. people though that i destroyed my highs when in fact all i did was dim them a little, thats why i used the term "debbie downer." and its in the form of humor, not an insult.

as you can see, they hold their own.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your Grass looks great! :thmsup:
LOL thank you :yes:

Looks nice!

I would have kept the high beams unpainted, but as long as you like it man. Goes well with your theme.
the thing is, thats what everyone would do.. i try not to be like everyone else, so i wanted to try something different and truthfully, the brights arent bad. yea, theyre not surrounded by chrome, but instead a glossy black finish. how shiny are black cars when theyre nice and clean? plus, how often do you use your brights? just some thoughts.

this mod is also a cop friendly why to have smoked looking headlights :nuts:

·
whataaa?!?
178 Posts
Those actually came really good. Nice job man.
Enjoy them...I wouldn't have the balls to **** with my heads...

·
whataaa?!?
178 Posts
I hear ya. I felt like that first time I blacked out my tails on my xB. How long have you had your car?

After my experience with this one, I don't even wanna bother with any major mods...I would like to enjoy a stock/comfortable ride.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
for about 4 months. it was completely stock when i got it except for the 5% tints.. i hate them lol i smoked my tails and fogs on my coupe, and did the headlights like this so that they would appear to be smoked but completely legal.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
you should look into led switchback led parking/turning lamps...think it would be a nice finishing touch personally

1 - 20 of 33 Posts