Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been searching the net for the last couple of days for the answer. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 5 speed auto with just under 100K miles. The problem I'm having with the car is very hard to describle. At first I thought it was a engine/trans mount. It feels like the driveline is 'loose' when you're accelerating everything is ok when you let go of the gas it feels like "IT" drops...if that makes any sense. The biggest thing that just started is that when I'm going say between 35-50 mph trying to mainting speed, sometimes when rpms are at about 1500, the car kinda shudders...kinda like going over the highway shoulder bumps.

I had my mechanic check the mounts and he says everything is ok...he says to see his tranny guy because it looks and feels like the trans is the reason. He says these cars are know to have a problem with the trans. Also showed me that when the car goes into Drive you can hear it click once and then immediately clicks again, like it's trying to go into D twice...I can definitely hear it, but don't know what that means.

I really don't want some guy to tell me that I need my trans rebuilt unless I am 100% certain that it's on its way out. So like I said I've been reading up for a couple days and have not been able to find any stories of people's trannies going with 'my' symptoms. I have found a few cases where people have had similar symptoms and the 'CV Joints' or axles were the culprit. Is there any way to check if that could be my reason....the car drives OK besides these issues, all the gear work fine.

Sorry for the long post...I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Most will tell you to check the fluid and do the drain and fill (no flush) of the fluid if it has not been done. Probably not the total cure but might buy some time. Other than that you can only wait till it blows or run it by Honda before it gets many more miles. You never know till you ask them what they might do. There are many others on here with tranny issues if you do a search even though most did not have your exact symptoms.

·
36 Posts
Welcome to the forum! These honda transmissions are very sensitive and require frequent fluid changes. Have you checked the trans fluid? If it is dark or has a burnt smell I'd do a complete fluid change (x3) and change the external filter. Have a dealer look at it because some have been warrantied as a goodwill replacement from Honda free of charge. I change my fluid regularly every 15,000 miles and I also have a 2004 V6 auto. Mine has 95,000 and still shifts like butter.

·
Sosi baklazhani bydlo
589 Posts
Change the fluid. Do all 9 quarts at once at 3 quart increments (thats how much will drain at a time). Also, when you turn on your car, check your cluster and see if your D is blinking. If it blinks, you need to change or clean the transmission sensors. This may help alot or a little. Changing the fluid on my 05 av6 did a world of difference, might do the same for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the info about the trans fluid. I'll give that a shot. However is there anyone here who can tell me if it's possible my problem could be the CV Joints or axles. I found on another site ways to test them. For outer it's obviously one I knew already...turn wheels to either side full lock and start backing up you will hear a clicking noise usually means it's the outer cv joint on whatever side the noise is.

However for inner it's harder to tell. The site says to accelerate while backing up then decelerate (meaning coast) and listen for a clunk as you decelerate. Well I just did this test this morning and I can hear a clunk every-time it starts to coast going backwards. Can a mechanic tell if a cv joint is done by checking it or that something that has to be taken apart to tell. I just have this feeling that the trans is fine I cant explain why.

Thanks again
Matt

·
Registered
366 Posts
Matt, my dealership says that noise when you back up is the brakes doing a self Inspection. Mine does it periodically. And usually while coasting out of my garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys. I was really hoping someone would agree that I'm on the right path with the inner cv joint but I guess it's all in my head. I'll take the car to tranny guy and see what he says.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, I understand the symptoms you are having, your first post could have been written by me. I have the same, 04 auto V6 with the same 1500 rpm shudders and 'loose' feel. On the highway this car is a dream, but around town its kinda a chore.

Do you ever find out anything from your transmission guy? I just had a tranny service (drain and fill) done and things seem much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts