Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this in yahoo finance news & also other places on the web.

"Two popular models, the redesigned 2013 Honda Accord V6 and the 2013 Nissan Altima, scored too poorly in the survey for Consumer Reports to continue Recommending them. Last year, CR had predicted that both vehicles would have at least average reliability"

Consumer Reports latest annual car survey results are out and 2 big surprises. Camry is not being recommended anymore due to poor crash results. And Accord V6 is also dropping off recommended list, no details yet what those concerns are. I am a CR subscriber, but didn't get the December issue yet. I am in market for either an I-4 or V6 Accord so I'm anxious to read why

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a online account with Consumer Reports. They've added reliability ratings for the 2013 LX CVT and EX-L V6:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/honda/accord/sedan-ex-l-v6/reliability.htm

The 2013 I-4 sedan is excellent in all reliability categories except for audio (terrible) and "squeaks and rattles" - very good. Overall reliability is rated average.

The V6 is rated with an overall reliability of "below average". The "very good" (not excellent) categories were "brakes", "squeaks and rattles", and body hardware. The audio was still terrible. The wrap-up is "Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 27% below average"

Both I-4 and V6 coupes were rated "much worse than average" with climate system and suspension also taking hits.

These reliability reports are based on the annual reader survey feedback,
"...Based on 1.1 million vehicles in our latest subscriber survey".

They have a cut-off for "not enough data", but I don't know whether that's 1 or 100 cars. I suspect the number of subscribers with V-6 coupes is pretty low, Consumer Reports readers tend to be pretty practical and frugal.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
The 2013 I-4 sedan is excellent in all reliability categories except for audio (terrible) and "squeaks and rattles" - very good. Overall reliability is rated average.
So "terrible" audio takes an otherwise "excellent" reliability rating and turns it into "average" overall?!! Something wrong with their mentality, if the radio dies I can still drive home, if my CVT dies I'm stuck on the road.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Both I-4 and V6 coupes were rated "much worse than average" with climate system and suspension also taking hits.
I get the suspension taking hits as it's pretty firm - but what's the issue with the climate control???? I haven't seen any complaints on that.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
First MY of a new generation of car, take it all with a grain of salt. Based on what I am reading on these boards about the issues that people are having with brand new cars, they are VERY minor compared to what I would read when I was on boards for domestic cars.

Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2014 sport and I could not be happier. And like I said before, " What CVT issues?"

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Why does anyone even care about what CR says? Unless, of course, one's self worth it tied to what others think of the car one purchased.

I have a 2014 sport and I could not be happier. And like I said before, " What CVT issues?"
The CVT has not exactly been a model of reliability. There is at least one TSB and several members of this forum alone have had the CVT replaced under warranty. I can see where CR is coming from.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Wish they would elaborate on how the suspension is "much worse than average". Unless Honda engineers were wasted on Vallium and Cocaine, I doubt there was any decline from the quality of the 8G. It's a well sorted suspension.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for initial replies. I use Consumer Reports as a reference and not the bible per say. But these annual survey results are from auto owners like us, so should be at least looked at. I was hoping the V6 issue wasn't engine related. I clicked on the CR link that "77accord" provided, but can't see anything beyoond the initial loaded page

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wish they would elaborate on how the suspension is "much worse than average". Unless Honda engineers were wasted on Vallium and Cocaine, I doubt there was any decline from the quality of the 8G. It's a well sorted suspension.
I suspect it's the "harsh ride" that some have reported here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is anybody having any issues with the climate control system? It is interesting that it is worst than average, and I am/haven't heard anything about people having issues with the climate control system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I clicked on the CR link that "77accord" provided, but can't see anything beyond the initial loaded page
I logged out of my account and tried the link and got a page saying "subscribe to see the reliability results".

All of the results are self-reported by owners, with the severity based on inconvenience, effort, and cost.

I can see the audio system problems rated as an inconvenience many times over - doesn't work daily, take it in for the TSB, still doesn't work,... .

Of course cost for everything is zero for now since it's under the factory warranty.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
those folks with a lot of jelly and a lot of belly probably do not like the firm suspension :banana:
I personally like a firm ride. I guess its why I own a 2006 BMW 330ci and '08 Mustang. Almost any car I test drive is softer than my 2 vehicles... ha-ha

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I don't get the harsh ride comment either. I also have not experienced any climate control issues, brake problems, etc. The radio is no problem for me since I'm doing my own upgrades. Overall, I feel the car is pretty solid. I'd rather have a car with a crappy radio than one that will likely severely injure/kill me in an accident (Camry).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, I don't get the harsh ride comment either. I also have not experienced any climate control issues, brake problems, etc. The radio is no problem for me since I'm doing my own upgrades. Overall, I feel the car is pretty solid. I'd rather have a car with a crappy radio than one that will likely severely injure/kill me in an accident (Camry).
Consumer Reports doesn't seem clean to me. Just because they claim to be clean doesn't mean they can't be political or corrupt. :dunno:

I also think that if they attack strong brands like Honda, that they might feel they gain credibility with the public. :nuts:

If they go after a strong brand, then it helps them to sell more paper, right? :biggrin:

Having said that, I do think its ok for them to point out the real problems with Honda and everyone else. Honda is not perfect by any means. :wave:

·
Banned
308 Posts
Wow..... So when they say audio systemreliabil ity is much worse than average is that people complaining they had to take the car in for a non working system or just that the system doesn't sound good like others here have said?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow..... So when they say audio systemreliabil ity is much worse than average is that people complaining they had to take the car in for a non working system or just that the system doesn't sound good like others here have said?
I think its due to linking with Pandora and that type of thing. It is a real problem. Is it Honda or Pandora? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 150 Posts