Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a '04 V-6 EX-L sedan currently. It is my third accord, starting with a '94 accord EX 4-cylinder, followed by a '03 LX 4-cylinder. I traded in the '94 with 165k on the clock for the '03 LX. I drove the '03 LX to 155k when my father in law offered to sell me his wife's '04 V-6 with 89k on it for the measly $7,500 the dealer was offering in trade on a new one. I bought the '04 V-6 and sold the '03 LX for $4,500, giving myself a big upgrade for $3,000. So now the '04 V-6 has 155k on it. I was planning on keeping it until 200k but my daughter is about to get her license and could use a safe reliable car so I'm probably going to pass it down to her.

Which leads me to my conundrum. I've loved my accords but living in the Northeast where it snows a bit I've always wanted AWD or 4WD. For reasons only those in Japan know Honda does not offer AWD on the accord... but they offer it on the Crosstour. I've also got a dog and would like the ability to put her in the back instead of her sitting on the backseat next to the kid. I'd also like to be able to have two people in the backseat and still be able to bring the dog.

So this brings me to the Crosstour, obviously the V-6 L with AWD is on the menu... I've read reviews and reports and the car seems to have a bad rap but l'm hesitant to go outside brand. I hate the Venza, I think it looks like a low roofed minivan and by the time it's equipped with a V-6 and leather it's damn close to Lexus RX money. My wife drives a Lexus RX and I can say I'd rather buy another CPO one of those before a Venza. I'm also not fond of Subarus and their dreadful engines. At this point I'm also considering an Audi Allroad or Q3 when it comes out, Volvo V60 T5 AWD, benz GLK or the CLA when it comes out, but I'm really reluctant to step into these less reliable more expensive brands.

Long story short I'd like to hear from crosstour owners, especially those who own or have owned accords;

1. Can you put a full size dog in the back of the Crosstour? it's hard to tell from the pictures.
2. I've always felt like the 240 HP V-6 in my '04 was more engine then was needed in the sedan, I'm thinking the new 278 V-6 should be plenty to motivate the Crosstour, am I wrong?
2.b. How is it going from an accord to the Crosstour, is it really a land barge in comparison or is that just overblown?
3. Is the reliability up to accord standards? I've seen some issues being reported with oil burning and consumer reports gives the new one very low marks on the audio system* which gives it overall low reliability score, how bad is it really?
4. Would you buy the Crosstour again?
5. What do you love and what do you hate about?

* my '04 had the black screen problem shortly after 100k, I was able to get Honda to pay for 3/4 the part even though it was way out of warranty so I'm pretty confident that they'll fix an issue like this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,854 Posts
It's soon to be discontinued and the value will drop big time. Consider your future when buying this.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I haven't owned one, but know 3 people who do and nobody has had any complaints. 2 plan on driving it til the wheels fall off and the third is trading for a newer year Crosstour.

You can check with @CSTU93 here on his impressions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Ram, I wanted to answer your questions in case you are still looking. FWIW, I always wanted a Crosstour but kept passing up on it. When I got tired of my 2008 Civic I was going to give the CT a look but decided to lease a new Lincoln instead. (Employed by Ford at the time ;)) I decided to end my lease early and buy a Crosstour. I haven't looked back since! I tend to get bored with cars pretty quick but this one has kept my attention. :)

1. Can you put a full size dog in the back of the Crosstour? it's hard to tell from the pictures.
I have two Labrador Retrievers one is 75lbs and the other is right under 100lbs. They go with me around town all the time and on 5+ hour trips every few months. They seem to be quite comfortable once laying down. The sloping roof line doesn't give them the best of space to stand up but they still fit. I keep the seats folded down when they ride with me and they are able to stand or sit without touching the roof. It is close though.. definitely not as much room as our H2 but it can be done and your dog will be fine. I have had the smaller dog in the back with the seats up and he was fine. See the picture below... it actually makes a nice place for the dog to sleep.
2. I've always felt like the 240 HP V-6 in my '04 was more engine then was needed in the sedan, I'm thinking the new 278 V-6 should be plenty to motivate the Crosstour, am I wrong?
I have the v6 and it has plenty of power. While in for service yesterday, they gave me a Crosstour as a loaner and it had the 2.4 4-cylinder... I was actually quite impressed with it and it moved the CT out well. There was only one interstate situation that I was wanting my V6 back.
2.b. How is it going from an accord to the Crosstour, is it really a land barge in comparison or is that just overblown?
I haven't owned an accord but have driven a ton.. it really isn't that much of a difference. Some owners have upgraded the rear sway bar (Acura TL part) This upgrade tightens it up a bit and gives you a more confident drive. All things considered, the CT drives much more car like than suv/truck.
3. Is the reliability up to accord standards? I've seen some issues being reported with oil burning and consumer reports gives the new one very low marks on the audio system* which gives it overall low reliability score, how bad is it really?
The oil consumption issue is hit in miss in the CT, just like 8th gen accords... I'm right at 100k and have had no issues. I just did my timing belt service etc and had nothing bad show up during the multi-point inspection. I don't keep up with CR but I would assume some of their gripe with the audio system on 2013+ models is due to the dual screen setup. I am 22 and listen to a wide variety of bass heavy music... the Crosstour does an okay job. I haven't changed speakers or added a sub yet but may one day. It is by no means horrible.. though i'd say its a little less than average for the price segment.
I may upgrade to a 2013+ model but plan to keep my 2010 for now. So yes, I would.
The main thing I love about the Crosstour is its uniqueness. I have owned many cars since 16 and this is definitely one of my favorites. It does all things well but isn't a standout in any dept. I enjoy the fact that is has the room and ride height of a small SUV but still drives like a car. My only complaint, if I had to have one, would be the dated/low-key interior but its not a bad place to be.

I hope this helps w/ your decision. I found a photo of Harley (75lbs) laying in the back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not a 2015 Acura RDX? They are selling pretty cheap right now and the drive sporty when you want and also comfortably (like an RX) when you feel like it. They are very peppy (273HP) and have all the features from the Crosstour. I would look into a 2015 now as the 2016 MMC is around the corner. Good luck!

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,577 Posts
#4 would be no for anyone since Honda just killed off the non-selling flop. Ugliest vehicle Honda ever made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ram.... way too late now, but I bought one in late 2010, brand new 2011.

Like you, I have owned many Accords over the years, buying them new and changing them every 3 years. Always been satisfied with all of them...I just had to change them because of my long daily commutes.

I bought it as when I looked at the new 2011 Accords, they looked just like my 2007 trade in...really didn't get any wow factor buying the same thing over and over again.

To answer your questions:

Have no idea as I don't own pets, but have used to haul all kinds of stuff for my house renos... from doors to bags of insulation. Good cargo space, but high wheel wells a problem, however better than a sedan.

Very peppy, love the power. Great acceleration.

It is built on an Accord frame so quite similar, however it is heavier, I think about 600 lbs heavier... probably because of the AWD....you can feel it as you drive. Holds the road better and cruises better...a great highway car. Like the old style Cadillac... a smooth ride.

No mechanical issues since I've owned it, except the side mirror sticking.

Love the car. I was planning to buy a brand new one last year, but they stopped making it. Poor seller as it was too expensive for the Brand....Acura entry level... Honda is a budget brand, the Crosstour was entering the luxury car price point, so in no-man's land between budget and luxury.

When I first saw it, I though it was ugly...but after a while looking at it in the show room, I grew to love it, especially all the features, leather, GPS, cargo space, AWD, etc. At the time, very impressive. And the dash lay-out was quite different than the Accord. The front grill is quite aggressive looking....I have had many compliments from passers by who commented on my great looking car....as recent as last week. Some people think its a new Honda model. It was ahead of its time, not too many crossovers back then (sedan/SUV). today, everybody makes one.

The only big negative issue is the rear visibility...a common complaint.... it's quite poor...heavy emphasis on mirror and rear camera, as long as you are not backing into sunlight, then there's an issue. Too many obstructions as opposed to a sedan.

·
4,577 Posts
Poor seller as it was too expensive for the Brand....Acura entry level... Honda is a budget brand, the Crosstour was entering the luxury car price point, so in no-man's land between budget and luxury.
That is not why it failed. It failed because no one liked it, and no one bought it. Sales determine the life of the vehicle, and sales were terrible compared to other models. The Acura version failed miserably in sales and was killed off a few years earlier than the Crosstour. Honda is not a budget brand, they are an ordinary brand. The Pilot and Odyssey both have a higher starting price than the Crosstour, so price does not determine luxury. The Pilot, Odyssey, and CRV also outsold the Crosstour. Honda dropped 'Accord' from the Crosstour name because the poor sales were having a negative halo effect on the Accord. This article sums it up best, referring to the Crosstour as the "odd-wagon, humpback crossover" and it remains as "the ugly-duckling of the Honda brand".

2012 Honda Crosstour Drops Accord From Name, Gets More Equipment | Car and Driver Blog

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, the Pilot, Odyssey, and CRV are NOT sedans....totally different class of vehicle.

The Crosstour is, as the name implies, a hybrid sedan/SUV....a cross-over. It is built on an Accord frame, therefore it is more of a sedan....it is not an SUV, not a truck nor a passenger van.

You can't compare different classes of vehicles when it comes to price point, you have to compare vehicles in the same class, regardless of brand. For example, one can compare a Honda Accord to a Toyota Camry as they are both in the same or similar class of vehicle.

Here I am comparing sedans.

In my previous statement, I was comparing Honda as a budget brand as opposed to Acura which is a luxury brand. The Honda Civic being the highest seller, is an entry level car, i.e. budget. Ordinary brand? no such thing. There's luxury, then there's everything else.

The Crosstour failed as it was too expensive for its class, which is an odd-ball "in-between" class therefore few bought it.....a no man's land....as a rule either one buys a sedan or an SUV. Acura version had same issue and therefore proves the point.

At the time the price of a brand new fully loaded Accord Crosstour was the same as an entry level Acura sedan of similar size. This is what I was talking about. If one is going to spend that kind of money on a budget brand sedan (Honda), one may as well buy a luxury brand sedan for the same price point (Acura).

In the car business, like any other, price point is always the determining factor when the consumer is comparing similar products in a similar class for purchase. It's always about the money.

In any case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....ugly? that's just blatant personal opinion... I still get compliments on the car from passers-by .... and I love the car anyway. Suits my purpose for the time being.

My next car will probably be a new Lexus...as I will be returning to a "regular" 4 door sedan now that my renovations and downsizing move are done.

·
4,577 Posts
First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, the Pilot, Odyssey, and CRV are NOT sedans....totally different class of vehicle.

The Crosstour is, as the name implies, a hybrid sedan/SUV....a cross-over. It is built on an Accord frame, therefore it is more of a sedan....it is not an SUV, not a truck nor a passenger van.

You can't compare different classes of vehicles when it comes to price point, you have to compare vehicles in the same class, regardless of brand. For example, one can compare a Honda Accord to a Toyota Camry as they are both in the same or similar class of vehicle.

Here I am comparing sedans.

In my previous statement, I was comparing Honda as a budget brand as opposed to Acura which is a luxury brand. The Honda Civic being the highest seller, is an entry level car, i.e. budget. Ordinary brand? no such thing. There's luxury, then there's everything else.

The Crosstour failed as it was too expensive for its class, which is an odd-ball "in-between" class therefore few bought it.....a no man's land....as a rule either one buys a sedan or an SUV. Acura version had same issue and therefore proves the point.

At the time the price of a brand new fully loaded Accord Crosstour was the same as an entry level Acura sedan of similar size. This is what I was talking about. If one is going to spend that kind of money on a budget brand sedan (Honda), one may as well buy a luxury brand sedan for the same price point (Acura).

In the car business, like any other, price point is always the determining factor when the consumer is comparing similar products in a similar class for purchase. It's always about the money.

In any case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....ugly? that's just blatant personal opinion... I still get compliments on the car from passers-by .... and I love the car anyway. Suits my purpose for the time being.

My next car will probably be a new Lexus...as I will be returning to a "regular" 4 door sedan now that my renovations and downsizing move are done.
That is why you are so misinformed...you bought one! You are trying to justify your mistake. The Crosstour was a failure because it failed to sell. It was an ugly, overpriced, POS, and so was the Acura version. Since you refuse to believe the reason why it failed, here is proof for you.

"Last year, the Honda Crosstour recorded just 11,802 U.S. sales compared to the CR-V's incredible 335,019 sales. The Crosstour's sales have fallen steadily over the past few years, from 20,848 in 2012 to 16,847 in 2013." In 2014, just 11,802 sales. Can you comprehend that? 11K compared to 335K? Honda kills cars that don't sell so they can free up the manufacturing for cars that do sell. They also killed the Element a few years ago due to poor sales too.

If you still don't believe it, here is the proof. Sorry to break it to you, you bought the worst car Honda ever made, and now you have lousy resale value.

Honda Crosstour to be Discontinued After 2015 Model Year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts