Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi All. New to the forum. This might be pretty dumb quesiton, since if you weren't happy you'd probably not be driving the accord....but just curious on your thoughts.

My last few cars have been an 2003 BMW330ci, 2010 VW GTI, and am currently in a 07 Legacy GT. I've always tended to prefer cars lean more toward the sporty side of spectrum. As I get older though I'm thinking I might be more happy with something tips the sales more in favor of comfort, refinement and a more grown up ride, but which is still fun to drive as well. Those cars have been expensive to maintain, require premium gas, have bouncy rides, are bland to look at. Maybe its time, not just for a new car, but to get into a different "class" of car.

So, for those with the V6 6speed, are you happy? Is it enjoyable enough to keep you interested or is it really just an "appliance" as most honda haters refer them to? I'm in love with the engine and that sweet gear box, but curious if you have found the car to have enough redeeming qualities to keep you interested in it. I've test driven two and really enjoyed what I've seen/felt so far. Don't really care that its FWD since I don't race or drive fast enough where it would be really noticeable. Your feedback, thoughts, flames are all welcome

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
You will not regret it. It has plenty of power- when the vtec kicks in it is like the classic 4 barrel kicking in. Even without the vtec it has power. On the highway I can cruise in 6th gear all day and go up any hill from West Virginia to Florida in 6th gear increasing speed if I want to.

Just did the round trip from above and got 30+ mpg. Hours going 70 mph without a hiccup from the drivetrain. Regular gas- $240 for 2400 miles round-trip.

Honda has had problems with the V6 automatic so I would stay away from them.
However I know someone with that set-up and she has had no problems.
Honda changed the body this year but elected not to screw with the coupe body too much.

I would get the EX with leather because it has all the goodies installed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will not regret it. It has plenty of power- when the vtec kicks in it is like the classic 4 barrel kicking in. Even without the vtec it has power. On the highway I can cruise in 6th gear all day and go up any hill from West Virginia to Florida in 6th gear increasing speed if I want to.

Just did the round trip from above and got 30+ mpg. Hours going 70 mph without a hiccup from the drivetrain. Regular gas- $240 for 2400 miles round-trip.

Honda changed the body this year but elected not to screw with the coupe body too much.

Great feedback, thanks! I'll definitely be going with the 6mt.

Save the manuals!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked my 2011 6-6 about 3 months ago an so far I like it more and more by the day. Its quick but can be driven civil as well.Go for it you wont regret it one bit

·
Registered
109 Posts
After a lot of looking at the 9th gen V6 Coupe, I found a 2012 V6 stick with 11,000 miles, and a 2012 V6 Auto with 4000 miles, both of them were red which looks great on the car, I was aware of the VCM issue but decided to get the Auto trans and really am quite happy, I have an Odyssey with the same VCM engine with no issues, and I had an S2000 which I sold not too long ago (just not practical) and I have been pleasantly surprised how sporty the Coupe feels, and I can carry WAY more stuff than the S2000, I checked and I can get my road bike ( bicycle) in the trunk no problem, I really am very happy with smoothness, comfort, power and conveniences the Coupe has, so it doesn't have a backup camera or push button start, what it does have is an audio system that blows away the junk system in the new 9th gen Coupe.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have responded with this to a few people asking the same question. I came from a 2006 Audi S4, and I had my concerns coming from a full blown sports car with a lovely V8 down to a Honda. The power in the 6-6 coupe is more than enough you can break traction in 3rd gear.

Overall I love the car I got mine last September haven't had any problems aside from a few annoying rattles and squeaks. It's also going to be MUCH cheaper to maintain in the long run, I can pay to get my oil changed with synthetic for cheaper than the oil and filter alone cost for my S4. :lmao:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input! Sounds like a lot of positive feedback on the Accord. S2000 thanks for pointing out you can fit a road bike in the trunk. I ride too and was hoping to avoid getting a roof rack or trailer hitch.

I've got a possible bite on my LGT so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed!

·
2011 Coupe 6-6
48 Posts
I picked up my 2011 6-6 last year. used with 24k miles, now with 40k miles

its a solid car. doesn't burn any oil , no weird noises, idles so smoothly I have to check the tachometer to make sure its on lol

I just did the coolant and transmission fluid replacement. both fluids removed were pretty clean

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have a 2013 Coupe V6 and I was wondering what is the problem with automatics, this is my first accord V6? I wanted the 6 MT but there was nowhere to be found, all they had was AT and I was in the need of a car badly so I just gave it a shot. I still wish it was manual but I think I'm getting used it. I notive no issues with VCM I dont even feel it enganing or not, if I wanna go I downshift with the paddels and it really launches like a rocket. Very few times I stepped on the gas like randomly while cruising in highway (probably while VCM engaged) and I felt a little hessitation to accelerate but I guess that is because RPMs are too low for a full throttle.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
Just do a search on the VCM, oil burning, and spark plug fouling with the auto V6.

Seems to be enough problems to think twice when you buy one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a V6 auto. Powerful but yes VCM is atrocious at times. I think i've gotten use to it or you pretty much have to gas the whole time, if you let go of the gas it will definitely flip to 3/4 cylinders, causing a jerk at slower speeds. At highway it's almost unnoticeable. It's just the neighborhood/city driving that can be annoying (jerking).

Luckily I don't have oil burning/spark problems!

I do secretly love my car especially if I drive around our nissan versa for a while then hop back into my accord!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
My last car was a 2010 GTI 6MT. I now have a 2012 6-6. I totally prefer it! First and foremost, the engine is far more rewarding to drive than the VW 2.0 turbo. It is far more responsive (no turbo lag) and more powerful. (It is equal to or faster than a Stage 1 GTI.) In case you don't know, the 8th gen 6-6s have the dual lobe VTEC engine. It does NOT have semi-troublesome VCM engine. (The VTEC engine has better low and high rpm power.)

With regard to sport, it definitely has attitude. It is bigger than a GTI, which gives the GTI an advantage in rapid transitional handling but not by too much. However larger sweeping entrance ramps and exit ramps feel more stable in the Honda. It is wider and you feel it -minimal body roll. I would give a slight edge to the GTI's steering - that was perhaps the GTI's best quality. But the Accord's steering is so close! However high speeds in the Accord feel more stable. For a slight compromise in “twisty road” handling you get a HUGE improvement in highway ride and daily comfort.

My only complaint is the overly complicated HVAC entertainment console. Jeez there are too many buttons! The GTI accomplished the same functions with simple, intuitive dials – so much better! But I would consider the rest of the Accord’s interior superior. And I’ll tell ya another thing, the doors on my coupe close with the same solid aplomb as the GTI. (Can’t say that for my wife’s RAV4.)

The 6-6 is a great GT car. Firm suspension but not too firm. It will carry speed through corners with ease. It has a fantastic engine with a solid low end torque curve and a strong high rpm rip - great with a 6MT. Regular fuel and 33+mpg highway - if that matters. It’s a nice bonus. Very usable and comfortable back seat – once the passengers are there. Bottom line is I smile so much more in my 6-6 than I ever did in my GTI. For the money, it is an amazing car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Overall I like my '12 V6 A5 but the VCM kills the responsiveness of the car, cruising on the highway it's great, and the power is there when you bury it but if you want something that quickly responds to your foot on the gas get the 6-6.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After 60k as a weekday daily driver, I'm still happy with my V6 auto..with no oil burn or other issues. Is it as fun to drive as my old '06 Si, nope......but 95% of the time, I never really got to enjoy the Si. In my case, rowing the gears in stop and go traffic to and from work each day got old fast. If you're looking for the fun factor, get the 6-6.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the 2011 accord coupe v6 auto, and i have no complaints about anything, just the rattle form the rear deck shelf (but fixed with some ripped clothing) the power is there if you need it.. VCM is annoying yes, BUT if i really needed the power i just switch over to 'S' and the VCM is almost disabled in a way (keeps the car in higher RPMs) and i get the extra power.. I will admit i just got a letter from honda saying that some V6's suffer form early carbon buildup at the spark plugs and that they would extend the power-train warranty from 5 to 8 years. but overall its reliable and does pretty damn good for a FWD car in winter

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My last car was a 2010 GTI 6MT. I now have a 2012 6-6. I totally prefer it! First and foremost, the engine is far more rewarding to drive than the VW 2.0 turbo. It is far more responsive (no turbo lag) and more powerful. (It is equal to or faster than a Stage 1 GTI.) In case you don't know, the 8th gen 6-6s have the dual lobe VTEC engine. It does NOT have semi-troublesome VCM engine. (The VTEC engine has better low and high rpm power.)

With regard to sport, it definitely has attitude. It is bigger than a GTI, which gives the GTI an advantage in rapid transitional handling but not by too much. However larger sweeping entrance ramps and exit ramps feel more stable in the Honda. It is wider and you feel it -minimal body roll. I would give a slight edge to the GTI's steering - that was perhaps the GTI's best quality. But the Accord's steering is so close! However high speeds in the Accord feel more stable. For a slight compromise in “twisty road” handling you get a HUGE improvement in highway ride and daily comfort.

My only complaint is the overly complicated HVAC entertainment console. Jeez there are too many buttons! The GTI accomplished the same functions with simple, intuitive dials – so much better! But I would consider the rest of the Accord’s interior superior. And I’ll tell ya another thing, the doors on my coupe close with the same solid aplomb as the GTI. (Can’t say that for my wife’s RAV4.)

The 6-6 is a great GT car. Firm suspension but not too firm. It will carry speed through corners with ease. It has a fantastic engine with a solid low end torque curve and a strong high rpm rip - great with a 6MT. Regular fuel and 33+mpg highway - if that matters. It’s a nice bonus. Very usable and comfortable back seat – once the passengers are there. Bottom line is I smile so much more in my 6-6 than I ever did in my GTI. For the money, it is an amazing car.
Wow such great feedback from a former Gti-er. I really appreciate it. I didn't realize you could see over 30mpg on the highway with this thing.

I'm still trying to sell my Legacy GT and assuming I do quickly I already know which 6-6 I'll be picking up. Just wondering if its worth taking a bigger hit on the Legacy and just trading her in on the Accord. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Always happy with mine, even though it is VCM. :eek:) Yep, 34MPG easy as pie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
V6 VCM "issue"

Is there any follow-up details as to how many of these "VCM" problems are actually materializing and if so, what year's are affected most, etc? I don't believe simply slapping an 8 yr./100k warranty on all affected cars is sufficient. Some people actually don't put 100k miles on in 8 years. That's why they buy Honda's in the first place, they have a reputation for lasting a long time. I think the warranty should be for the life of the vehicle/ as long as it's registered and maintained properly. There should be some kind of detail ongoing, as to what Honda buyer's of these models can expect too. After all... what do you think Honda will give us on a trade-in for our "VCM" vehicle, or how about resale value if we try to sell it ourselves, good luck! That is if we ever decide to purchase a Honda again! I think there needs to be some sort of resolution or diagnostic solution to the problem. Honda owners who paid their hard earned money have a right to a solid vehicle with no problems, if they maintained it properly! They also should have a right to the good reputation and high resale value they came to the Honda name for in the first place.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,044 Posts
I put 200k miles on an 03 Accord V6 coupe. It's an awesome, underrated sports car that will knock your socks off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts