1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Drive Accord Forum,

I am new here.
Looks like a nice community.
I recently purchased an 08 accord, the power socket in the console compartment is not working.
I checked the fuse and it's fine a number 12 on passenger side (15A) currently in there.

I have looked in the service manual and the manual that came with the car.
In the service manual it says that it needs a 20A and in the manual that came with the car it says it needs a 15A. I am guessing this is not the issue.
I am not an electrical guy but guessing it is not fuse related.

I really do not want to take apart the whole console for this.

Any recommendations on what to do next?

I do have an Easy Care total care warranty that is supposed to cover electrical.
My deductible is 50, if I take it to my local honda it's 100 bucks to inspect it and if it is a covered part I will only be out 50.

Anyone know if this would not be covered for some reason?

Any recommendations on what to do next would be appreciated.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,068 Posts
When you say console compartment, do you mean the front socket or the one in the arm rest? Either way, it's probable that if the fuse is OK that the relay maybe died (not common but anything can happen). The relay is controlled by the ignition so your sockets power up with the key inserted and in Acc.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=989594

Was a thread I made that explained how to force the the front socket to be always on without the key. I would have to check for the arm rest socket, but I bet the black relay to the right of the one I jumpered is for that. Get yourself a paper clip, remove the relay, and jumper it and see if your socket starts working. If yes then you need a new relay that I'm sure can be found online for around $20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say console compartment, do you mean the front socket or the one in the arm rest? Either way, it's probable that if the fuse is OK that the relay maybe died (not common but anything can happen). The relay is controlled by the ignition so your sockets power up with the key inserted and in Acc.

Was a thread I made that explained how to force the the front socket to be always on without the key. I would have to check for the arm rest socket, but I bet the black relay to the right of the one I jumpered is for that. Get yourself a paper clip, remove the relay, and jumper it and see if your socket starts working. If yes then you need a new relay that I'm sure can be found online for around $20.
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I will let you know how it goes.

-Danny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

By console compartment I meant armrest.
I looked a bit deeper into relay's and from my understanding this one controls the front power outlet and the one in the armrest.

The front power outlet works, but the one in the armrest does not.

Do you think its possible that its half broken?

Sorry if that is a stupid question but I am not an electrical guy. :)

Im a little afraid to try your paper clip method...

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,068 Posts
The front and armrest sockets are on separate relays and fuses (proper electrical design) so one can be broken while the other works. See page 22-377 of the service manual. The one I messed with was the Front Accessory Power Socket Relay. The one you need to look for is the Console Accessory Power Socket Relay. From the diagram it looks like it's to the right of the steering wheel?

Just grab a multimeter, unplug the relay, and probe all 4 of the contact holes with the key removed. You should find 12V on at least 1 of them and that's the main power line to the armrest socket (might have to use a paper-clip extension on your probe to get far enough into the holes). Use chassis ground for the black probe.

Assuming you do find 12V and the relay is the same as the front socket (it probably is), I would just swap them around to see if the one is broken. If you don't find 12V then you checked the wrong fuse and the correct one is blown. If you do find 12V and swapping the relays doesn't help, there might be something wrong with the socket itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front and armrest sockets are on separate relays and fuses (proper electrical design) so one can be broken while the other works. See page 22-377 of the service manual. The one I messed with was the Front Accessory Power Socket Relay. The one you need to look for is the Console Accessory Power Socket Relay. From the diagram it looks like it's to the right of the steering wheel?

Just grab a multimeter, unplug the relay, and probe all 4 of the contact holes with the key removed. You should find 12V on at least 1 of them and that's the main power line to the armrest socket (might have to use a paper-clip extension on your probe to get far enough into the holes). Use chassis ground for the black probe.

Assuming you do find 12V and the relay is the same as the front socket (it probably is), I would just swap them around to see if the one is broken. If you don't find 12V then you checked the wrong fuse and the correct one is blown. If you do find 12V and swapping the relays doesn't help, there might be something wrong with the socket itself.
I swapped the wrong 2 relays according to the diagram.
I thought they where both running through the same one.
I will give it another shot next weekend.

Thank you for catching that.

I will keep you updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.