Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have a situation with my car lately. The mpg has drop significantly and is consuming a lot of coolant too. What should I check? have you ever experienced something like that?:dunno:

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I'm going to guess it's a head gasket. Have you checked your oil lately? If it's milk colored it's definitely a head gasket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to guess it's a head gasket. Have you checked your oil lately? If it's milk colored it's definitely a head gasket.
I have change the oil about 1200 miles ago. I'm going to check it.
I'm very paranoid about overheating the engine and I'm always checking the temp gauge, The car has never overheat, and I don't see any leak. How expensive/hard you think is to replace the head gasket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
if it is a head gasket problem and you dont fix it soon, you will need a new engine. i know because i've gone through the exact same problem with my last car.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
How expensive/hard you think is to replace the head gasket?
Both expensive and hard. Unless you have quite a bit of experience doing head gaskets.

if it is a head gasket problem and you dont fix it soon, you will need a new engine.
The truth. When checking the oil, remove the oil fill cap and look to see if it's milky on the inside of the cap and in the valves. If that turns up normal definitely take it in ASAP before it's too late.

·
NJDR
862 Posts
to replace the headgasket you have to take off the intake manifold, runners, heads, and anything else to get alll the way down to the block of the engine ..

check if your car is smoking out of the exhaust.. thats usually a sign of it .. i believe white smoke

take it to your local shop or your mechanic and have him pressure test your cooling system and that will show if you have a blown head gasket

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey man, you ever find out what the results of this was? my 06 4cyl is consuming coolant, but no smoke or anything. or maybe thats normal? ive got no idea.
My car is in the body shop right now, but I'll take it to the mechanic this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
Bump.. Any word on what the problem was?

My car is doing the same thing, no smoke, no leaks, no evidence of evaporated coolant crust, oil is clean, radiator is full to just over the plastic shelf in the filler neck, yet I am losing about 1/2 to 3/4" of coolant from the expansion tank daily.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 03 4cyl with 130k consumes a little, but my level in the reservoir fluctuates up and down, like some days it is more full than others. I need to put a piece of tape on the tank and start marking it to see whats up. Whats the difference between oil and coolant smoke?

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
My 03 4cyl with 130k consumes a little, but my level in the reservoir fluctuates up and down, like some days it is more full than others. I need to put a piece of tape on the tank and start marking it to see whats up. Whats the difference between oil and coolant smoke?
color and smell:
smoke from antifreeze will be white and smell sweet.
smoke from oil will be blue and won't smell sweet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The level in the reservoir will go up when your car is hot and will go down when the car is cold. That is normal.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The level in the reservoir will go up when your car is hot and will go down when the car is cold. That is normal.
Also the change in weather from hot to cold will make the coolant drop a little as you start to use the heater more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It turn out to be a little leak in one of the upper corner of the radiator that leaked the coolant when the car was on and hot due to the pressure. its fixed.

·
Northern Canada
76 Posts
I have a 2006 Accord 4cyl that is loosing coolant as well. I think there is a small leak somewhere in the drivers side lower rad area, but I haven't found it yet.

Just outta curiosity, what type of coolant did Honda use from the factory? What type of coolant should I top it off with? I haven't opened the resevoir yet, but it looks blue.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
It turn out to be a little leak in one of the upper corner of the radiator that leaked the coolant when the car was on and hot due to the pressure. its fixed.
How was it "fixed"... JB-Weld, egg yolk method? :D Or...did you get a new radiator?

Glad it wasn't too serious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts