Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, as you can see this is my first post here. Rest assured, I did search the forum and couldn't find where this issue has been discussed.

I took our 2017 Accord Sport, which my wife drives and will belong to our daughter in a couple years, to the dealer today (currently just shy of 10,000 miles). One of the things I wanted them to check was a "whirring" sound present on the driver's side with each rotation of the tires. Naturally, they didn't discover anything, so I asked if the tech could ride with me. When he did, he was able to hear the sound I was talking about and speculated that the rotor may have gotten a groove from a hard braking incident, and figured they would turn the rotor to fix it.

However, after just a few minutes one of the service advisors came and got me and said that it will actually be a 2-3 hour fix...and that they've had a handful of these with the 2017 Accord Sports. He said that the tires aren't "seated" correctly which is causing the sound with each revolution. He said that they have to remove the tires, do something (I can't remember exactly what he said), over-inflate the tires and put them back on, drive the vehicle, remove the tires again and deflate them to the proper level.

That all seems really strange to me. :screwy: Has anyone here ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks!

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,191 Posts
So, my understanding is that mechanic said one thing and adviser said another thing. Frankly, it doesn't sound like rotor issue to me. Take the car to the tire shop where they do inspection for free and hear their opinions.

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, my understanding is that mechanic said one thing and adviser said another thing. Frankly, it doesn't sound like rotor issue to me. Take the car to the tire shop where they do inspection for free and hear their opinions.
I took it more that the technician gave a speculative suggestion as to what might be needed after riding with me and hearing the sound. And, in short order (not sure if the vehicle was taken into the service area and lifted again or not), they put their heads together and remembered this issue with some other 17 Sport vehicles. They don't think it's a tire issue, other than that these tires aren't "seated" correctly (not sure what that even means). When I bought the car, I paid $399 for a 60 month road hazard tire and wheel policy (which came in handy today as the rear passenger tire, which had been leaking slowly, was replaced at no cost to me due to a hole on the side of the tire that couldn't be fixed). That makes me think that they aren't simply trying to avoid having to eat the cost on a tire problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I took it more that the technician gave a speculative suggestion as to what might be needed after riding with me and hearing the sound. And, in short order (not sure if the vehicle was taken into the service area and lifted again or not), they put their heads together and remembered this issue with some other 17 Sport vehicles. They don't think it's a tire issue, other than that these tires aren't "seated" correctly (not sure what that even means). When I bought the car, I paid $399 for a 60 month road hazard tire and wheel policy (which came in handy today as the rear passenger tire, which had been leaking slowly, was replaced at no cost to me due to a hole on the side of the tire that couldn't be fixed). That makes me think that they aren't simply trying to avoid having to eat the cost on a tire problem.
I had this same exact problem. When I took it in the first time a tech went on a ride with me and was able to hear what I was hearing. Kept the car all day and told me all they had to do was inflate the tires to a higher PSI and the sound went away. Test drove with the tech and indeed it was gone but sure enough it came back after awhile. Remember him telling me it's was a known problem with these Conti tires on 19s. Took it in again and this time told another tech told me because I was lowered something might be rubbing...told me to raise my car a bit to see if it goes away. I knew it wasn't rubbing on anything to behind with but of course they wanted to use that reason. I did read somewhere that this noise was caused by a tire not being seated properly and the only way to fix it was to take the tire off, and mount it again. I would take it into Discount Tire or another tire shop and see if they will dismount and mount it back on to see if that takes care of it.

Side note, I recently got new wheels and no noise with my new set up so can confirm it wasn't "rubbing" on anything. Dealer techs are always a hit or miss.

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this same exact problem. When I took it in the first time a tech went on a ride with me and was able to hear what I was hearing. Kept the car all day and told me all they had to do was inflate the tires to a higher PSI and the sound went away. Test drove with the tech and indeed it was gone but sure enough it came back after awhile. Remember him telling me it's was a known problem with these Conti tires on 19s. Took it in again and this time told another tech told me because I was lowered something might be rubbing...told me to raise my car a bit to see if it goes away. I knew it wasn't rubbing on anything to behind with but of course they wanted to use that reason. I did read somewhere that this noise was caused by a tire not being seated properly and the only way to fix it was to take the tire off, and mount it again. I would take it into Discount Tire or another tire shop and see if they will dismount and mount it back on to see if that takes care of it.

Side note, I recently got new wheels and no noise with my new set up so can confirm it wasn't "rubbing" on anything. Dealer techs are always a hit or miss.
Well, I'm actually glad to hear that there are, indeed, other instances of this issue. So, you wouldn't trust the dealership to dismount/mount them?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I'm actually glad to hear that there are, indeed, other instances of this issue. So, you wouldn't trust the dealership to dismount/mount them?
If they are willing to I would have them do it but would trust a tire shop more. When I suggested it the second time I had to take my car in they told me if it indeed was not seated properly the noise would be "louder"?? Not sure how much louder they are wanting especially if a tech heard on a drive:|

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they are willing to I would have them do it but would trust a tire shop more. When I suggested it the second time I had to take my car in they told me if it indeed was not seated properly the noise would be "louder"?? Not sure how much louder they are wanting especially if a tech heard on a drive:|
Yeah, they actually asked me to bring it back in so that they could do that. I guess I'll let them have a crack at it. These tires/wheels are on a short leash with me. They certainly weren't the deciding factor in choosing the Sport trim (the color was what my wife/daughter were after), and I'd rather just get different wheels/tires than having to deal with problems from them!

·
2016 Touring 6AT
112 Posts
I have the Contis with 19's and this same issue - sometimes it almost sounds like someone scraping cardboard or stiff paper along concrete or something (and no that is not what's happening.. lol) From research on the forums, it seems a lot of people have tried new moving tires around, had dealer replace wheel bearings, etc. I did have one tire that kept going low when I first got the car and Discount Tire gooped it up to try to get it to seal better as they thought it would be a bad seal. It hasn't really had an issue since.. but they also replaced the valve stem. So there could be some correlation, but maybe not.

I have had the tires rotated multiple times, and the sound doesn't follow the tire. So I guess that leaves "all tires," wheel bearing, brakes, brake shield, CV joint... something like that.

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've scheduled to take it in next Monday. I asked the advisor to describe to me what they are going to do. He said they will dismount all of the tires, clean the area around the wheel seating, rotate them, over inflate them, possibly drive on them while they are over inflated, and finally deflate them to normal pressure.

I don't see how that will help. I'll post an update after they've done this.

·
Senior Citizen
162 Posts
I would be very skeptical. Sounds like a way to extract money from you. Yes, it is true that all tires need to be mounted correctly with bead against the rim. Any good tire shop can and should do this when mounting the tire. If your tire is not mounted correctly, I would leave your car “stealer” as fast as you can go. Pay an honest and competent tire shop to mount it correctly. Should be under $20. No road test necessary. Contintetals are excellent tires. Maybe because they tend to be more performance oriented, they were a little more difficult to seat the bead. An Improperly seated tire tire is easily visible. If on the inside, the wheel may need to be removed from the car. If the bead is seated properly, then the noise is the result of another issue. The 19” wheels and that low profile tire is a bit stiffer than smaller diameter wheels. That might contribute make the tire a bit harder to seat as well.

·
2017 Accord Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be very skeptical. Sounds like a way to extract money from you. Yes, it is true that all tires need to be mounted correctly with bead against the rim. Any good tire shop can and should do this when mounting the tire. If your tire is not mounted correctly, I would leave your car “stealer” as fast as you can go. Pay an honest and competent tire shop to mount it correctly. Should be under $20. No road test necessary. Contintetals are excellent tires. Maybe because they tend to be more performance oriented, they were a little more difficult to seat the bead. An Improperly seated tire tire is easily visible. If on the inside, the wheel may need to be removed from the car. If the bead is seated properly, then the noise is the result of another issue. The 19” wheels and that low profile tire is a bit stiffer than smaller diameter wheels. That might contribute make the tire a bit harder to seat as well.
Well, they aren't charging me for it. So I'm inclined to let them have a shot at it. If there is still an issue after they try, I suppose I could get a tire shop to do it. When you say under $20...is that per tire?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replacement of the tires is the solution to this issue. I had the same problem with my 17 Touring took it to the dealer and was told the tires were the issue. The tech tried reseating them twice and the noise was still present. I had enough of the noise and bought new tires and now the noise is completely gone. I went with 245/40/19s instead and got the Michelin Pilot Sports.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
This may or may not be related.

Continental tires are junk.

I'd take a chance with Nankang tires before I bought Contis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm having the same problem with my 2016 Accord Sport (19in), and I'm taking my car on saturday morning to the dealership...I'll bring this discussion and show it to the mechanics out there..hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get a good technician.. Any other advices?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It may not be caused by tires. Check out the following comment.
I'm having the same rubbing noise with my 2017 Accord Sport. The dealership remounted the tires once, but after a week it started to happen again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replacement of the tires is the solution to this issue. I had the same problem with my 17 Touring took it to the dealer and was told the tires were the issue. The tech tried reseating them twice and the noise was still present. I had enough of the noise and bought new tires and now the noise is completely gone. I went with 245/40/19s instead and got the Michelin Pilot Sports.
I agree with this, I had the same weird sound as described in this thread. Last week I put on new Pirelli P7 A/S+ 245/40/19s and it's wonderfully quiet now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never personally been a fan of Contis. Every time I bought a car that wore them, I ended up switching pretty quickly due to excessive road noise and the fact that they turn into ice skates on wet pavement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 17 Accord Sport SE only 7K mileage on it. I made 3 visit already and still cannot figure this out. Something tells me, they don't want to deal with it...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 17 Accord Sport SE only 7K mileage on it. I made 3 visit already and still cannot figure this out. Something tells me, they don't want to deal with it...
Happens quite often. Call AHM to report the issue and mention you’ve made three visits for the same issue already (though they likely already know). Now that a case has been opened with corporate, take the car to a different dealer and nine times out of ten, they will diagnose the cause of the issue during the first visit without the runaround.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Happens quite often. Call AHM to report the issue and mention you’ve made three visits for the same issue already (though they likely already know). Now that a case has been opened with corporate, take the car to a different dealer and nine times out of ten, they will diagnose the cause of the issue during the first visit without the runaround.
I was supposed to receive a call back from Service Manager--no one called me back. When I called them up, they told me to wait till tomorrow for a call back. I spoke to AHM and they said to call them back if this is not resolved by the end of the week.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts