Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up brothers
last thrusday I was checking all my fluids and noticed that my reservoir coolant was almost empty
so past saturday I bought honda oem type 2 coolant and poured on the tank till it reached between the full and low marked so I took a picture
but then just now I noticed it was a little low and took a picture again to see the difference
what do you brothers think ?
Its been like 40 degrees here at nyc. Ive been using the heater a lot this month but this past weekend it hasnt been that cold

·
Registered
295 Posts
Could be just circulating through the heater core and dislodged a few bubbles?

If it continues to drop I would take it in.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot I I dont know if its normal but will keep an eye on it bro

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I forgot to tell you guys
both checks were when the engine was cold
1st picture
engine cold and the picture was taken after I refill the reservoir
2nd picture
just checked it today when engine was cold as well

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
Renzo, good chance it's a leak. You added when cold and checked when cold. I live a couple of miles from you and mine has not gone down. Have it checked

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I will keith thanks
this is how it looks now when the car is hot just now, just a lil bit above the min line

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
Not good Renzo, not good. If you keep filling and it keeps going down, it's not a question of IF you have a leak, but where.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had something similar last summer. After a lot of back and frustration, the culprit turned out to be my engine was consuming oil. The engine was re-ringed (pistons and rings replaced). So far so good - thankfully it was all done under warranty.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man hopefully its not the bad bro

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
calm down. it's normal. that model does not have common leaks anywhere, if it wasn't wrecked.

what happens is coolant evaporates over time and has to be topped off. most techs ignore it and get the oil change done or w/e. however, it needs to be topped off occasionally.

the 'problem' here is no one topped it off in a long time, most likely, and air then enters the cooling system because the overflow bottle has no coolant, so it sucks in air as the coolant cools.

as you add coolant now the car sucks in coolant next time it cools down and expels air bubbles into the reservoir as it naturally bleeds itself.

so for the next few days after you drive the car, top it off at the max line when the engine is nice and hot. then when it cools down in the morning check it. drive it, and check it hot again and top it off if needed at the max line.

from then on out just check it at every oil change and stay on top of evaporation! lol

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol thanks a lot bro I will do that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts