Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After filling windshield water, I thought about coolant product for my accord. As a beginner, can you guys give me some instructions how to refill coolant? Thanks.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I don't feel like reading the owners manual.
Interesting. I don't feel like telling you how to perform one of the easiest tasks under the hood.

Why do something myself when someone else can do it for me? :banghead:

RTFM.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Easy on the OP, people. Every single one of us was a total noob at one point, and some of us didn't have family members or friends who imparted their car knowledge upon us. Aren't we all here to share information and help each other?

However, having said that, in this day and age with Google, Wikipedia and YouTube, we all should consult those sources first. Better yet, the owner's manual is a great product-specific starting point.

Back to the topic, an important thing for absolute beginners is checking to see if the product you are using needs to be diluted 50/50 with water, or if it already came pre-mixed. Also, make sure you don't leave any antifreeze on the ground or garage floor, as its sweet taste attracts animals and even kids who could die from ingesting that stuff.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Good point on checking whether you need to dilute the antifreeze. I would say that all the Honda Genuine Coolant sold by dealers nowadays is pre-mixed. Also, if you use something that you need to dilute, do it with distilled water. No sense getting mineral deposits on the innards of the cooling system. Bottom line tho is use the Honda coolant. Unless you have a major leak, which you should get fixed anyway, you shouldn't have to add coolant very often. I have a partial gallon in my garage that I've had for years (for all my Hondas).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I would get the Honda BLU coolant from a dealer. I only use this for my two new Hondas. For my 2003 I just use Peak or something like that. The Honda BLU is pre-mixed so you don't have to worry about that. As far as filling, you just do that right at the reservoir by the radiator (white looking bottle with a tube running to the radiator cap). There are min/max lines. Usually best to look at those lines when the car is cool so that all the coolant has settled into the engine. Once it is cool, if you are at least at the "min" line, you don't need to add any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts