Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working my P0128 CEL. Some questions before I go ahead and replace the thermostat.

* This wiring that leads from the passenger side radiator fan, it looks like a big fubar to me. All covered in electrical tape. Are those ferrite beads under there? Does everyone's wiring look like this? If the picture quality is not good enough, I can take another one in daylight. Just want a sanity check on this. It worries me. I was told the radiator was replaced at some point -- I think earlier this year -- because it was punctured during some maintenance.

* Shouldn't there be some kind of topside connector or clamp to secure the radiator in place? Looks like something was left out to me.

Have I correctly labeled the Intake Air Temp sensor, the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, and the thermostat (above and behind the T)?

Isn't there another ECT near the bottom of the radiator? Which side?

Many thanks.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,513 Posts
The radiator bracket looks normal. The wires don't. I assume the thermostat is under that housing where the sensor is screwed in. Have no idea about which sensors those are.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
You do have the IAT, and housing for the thermostat correct, that is ECT1, if it's a post '04, since the '04 only has 1 ECT.

What is that cluster of wiring mess there at the cooling fan?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is an '04 (V6 6 MT). Ah, so that means that's the only ECT.

I'll take another photo of the wiring in daylight. I have no idea what's going on there.... I almost wonder if a previous owner tried a HID install then backed out of it.... but nobody in their right mind would splice into the cooling circuit for that.

Could someone post a pick of their wiring in that area?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry for reviving old thread.

I logged ECT1 and ECT2 sensors on my car during my normal commute to work.

The initial part of the log is warm up (I did not start logging right after engine start).
Outside air temperature was around 35F this time.

Does it look normal?
I'm surprised how low my ECT2 readings are.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have never seen a temp plotted before, but the temp 2 range would seem to be reasonable if it is the radiator temp with 35F ambient temp. Your thermostat controls the amount of coolant through the engine. Cooler water from the radiator would mean less flow.

What equipment are you using to plot the info?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use Autoenginuity with Honda enchanced interface.
Why does thermostat look more open when engine is warming up?

·
VCM DELETE
808 Posts
In regards to this thread

I was just going to post a new thread, but figured i'd ask on this one, b/c you basically asked my question too...
The radiator mounts are circular holes, and the radiator has some give in it...this was designed that way??...Almost seems like the radiaor moves around in the housing...just a slight bit. Is there a reason for this? Sometimes i feel like when my radiator fans kick on, its causes a "click, or Thump" ...due to those silly brackets or whatever they are...Why can the radiator move around in the housing? Is there a reason for that, or was it a poor design flaw?

Just commenting, that electric tape job, looks like a "fail"

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was just going to post a new thread, but figured i'd ask on this one, b/c you basically asked my question too...
The radiator mounts are circular holes, and the radiator has some give in it...this was designed that way??...Almost seems like the radiaor moves around in the housing...just a slight bit. Is there a reason for this? Sometimes i feel like when my radiator fans kick on, its causes a "click, or Thump" ...due to those silly brackets or whatever they are...Why can the radiator move around in the housing? Is there a reason for that, or was it a poor design flaw?

Just commenting, that electric tape job, looks like a "fail"
rubber should dampen some vibration

1 - 10 of 10 Posts