Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone new to the forum. I just picked up and '02 V6 EX with 100K on it and was looking to do some preventative maintenance. I already did the tranny D&R and am looking at doing the timing belt kit next. I am wondering what everyone is using for coolant? I have a couple gallons of Peak anti- freeze that states on the label that it is silicate and phosphate free. Is this a acceptable substitute for the Honda coolant?

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have been in similar situation (long story).
I agree that Honda coolant is only a couple of dollars more than Prestone or Peak.

But if I have a couple of gallons of Prestone extended life coolant lying around, I would not throw them away. I would find a way to use them w/o doing harm to the cars.

I had two gallons of Prestone extended life coolant left over from my 99 Sienna minivan days (sold 3 years ago).

Living in TX, the coolant evaporates a little over time, so I've been topping off my 3 Hondas with Prestone extended life.
If I had to do a radiator flush on my 99 Accord, I would put in 2 gallons of Prestone.
For my 2 newer Hondas with unexpired power train warranty, I would flush with Honda coolant and but would not hesitate to top off with Prestone.
If the power train warranty expired and if I had 2 gallons of unused Prestone, I would use them to flush the radiator.

By the way, after 3 years I still have 1.5 gallons of prestone left !!!

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
Hello everyone new to the forum. I just picked up and '02 V6 EX with 100K on it and was looking to do some preventative maintenance. I already did the tranny D&R and am looking at doing the timing belt kit next. I am wondering what everyone is using for coolant? I have a couple gallons of Peak anti- freeze that states on the label that it is silicate and phosphate free. Is this a acceptable substitute for the Honda coolant?

Thanks
I've been using Prestone coolant myself for my Accord without any issues. I too was concerned about using Prestone or Peak at first, but after reading here and on the other Accord forum I'm on that the OEM Honda coolant is silicate and phosphate free, I have absolutely no problems buying Prestone coolant since I know it's free of those components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.