Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I pulled my Accord into the garage today and turned it off, I hear a loud squealing noise that was abnormal. After a few minutes I was able to locate the source of the squealing to my cooling fan motor, more than likely the bearings inside of it. You would think this would only happen years down the road after 200,000 miles.

Currently I have 59,713 miles on my Accord and within that time, I've had these problems.

1. CVT Judder [Fixed under warranty]
  2. Brakes squealing when turning [Fixed under warranty]
  3. Extreme wind noises from driver side pillar [Fixed under warranty]
  4. Right rear wheel bearing [Fixed under warranty]
  5. And now the cooling fan motor [We shall see Monday]

The cost of a new cooling fan motor will be $125.00 if it's not covered under the warranty (not including labor which I may do myself).

*Deleted the old thread and re-posted it due to a typo in the title dohhhhh

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,237 Posts
Let's hope it is covered under warranty. How did you identify CVT Judder if you could elaborate.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
490 Posts
59,000 miles is more than 36,000. I don't think the basic warranty is going to cover the fan... and I doubt it is part of the power train.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,237 Posts
59,000 miles is more than 36,000. I don't think the basic warranty is going to cover the fan... and I doubt it is part of the power train.
You are right; it is not part of power train coverage that I was thinking about.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's hope it is covered under warranty. How did you identify CVT Judder if you could elaborate.
When I was accelerating typically around 20-35, I would feel a surge or hesitation that would shake the entire car (very similar to stalling a car with a manual).

Monday I'll be stopping by my local Honda dealership to see what they can do and calling Honda Corporate to discuss my disappointment in this vehicle. If I wanted this much warranty work/crap braking I would have bought a Dodge. There's a good chance I'll be trading this vehicle in within the year for either a Lexus GS or IS.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
They are very easy to remove, just unplug the connector and pull the assembly out. Try adding oil to the fan motor? I'd try some DIY before picking up a new motor.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Mine was squeaking under 20k miles. Replaced for free

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's not covered warranty which furthers my disappointment. Trying to figure out whether to purchase the motor online for $125 (Hondapartscheap.com), $100 from a wrecked accord that does not have a warranty, or $80 for aftermarket which who the hell knows manufactured that.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
They got the wrong vendor on that one. That part is something that you can't abuse. Maybe Honda will accommodate you on this. It's almost worse if they do not accommodate you than the actual failure of this relatively inexpensive part.

Some coolant sensor parts are covered under the emissions warranty and if a bad sensor caused the fan to fail, maybe a longshot. Don't know what state you are from but I believe in NY, CA and a few others the emissions warranty is for 15 years 150k.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
$125 is not much of a difference to have the peace of mind of knowing it's a genuine Honda part and not some questionable salvage yard piece or a crappy part from China. It sucks, but it happens. Did you even try to get the dealer to meet you half way on the repair?

·
Banned
299 Posts
Besides the noise, does this cause a mechanical problem?

If the bearing freezes up or something I guess the car can over heat. But I would thin the chances are small on that one.

·
Registered
697 Posts
$125 is not much of a difference to have the peace of mind of knowing it's a genuine Honda part and not some questionable salvage yard piece or a crappy part from China. It sucks, but it happens. Did you even try to get the dealer to meet you half way on the repair?
Ha! Because the factory ones are probably made in Nebraska.
Couldn't resist.
Definitely go with the factory one for that little of a price difference.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Some coolant sensor parts are covered under the emissions warranty and if a bad sensor caused the fan to fail, maybe a longshot. Don't know what state you are from but I believe in NY, CA and a few others the emissions warranty is for 15 years 150k.
This above....

"Do you see, Warriors? Do you see what you get when you leave out your location?" - the leader of the Orphan gang in the movie, The Warriors

A member wanted to help, but sadly, the Original Poster could not be bothered with listing his/her location in his/her User CP info - and this thread may be for naught....

How many other members pay out of pocket for something covered under warranty? :(

Reactions: StevieD
1 - 16 of 16 Posts