Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just had his car inspected (North Carolina). The garage told him his brake fluid had a high copper content and it would need to be changed ... or it wouldn't pass the state safety inspection. :confused:

So what all is wrong with that sentence?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
That would require a lab analysis to determine, highly unlikely. If he/she has horrid dark brake fluid then it makes sense to flush it and go with new but copper? Horsecaca.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That would require a lab analysis to determine, highly unlikely. If he/she has horrid dark brake fluid then it makes sense to flush it and go with new but copper? Horsecaca.
So to say but you are wrong. You can buy brake fluid test strips that you dip into the master cylinder, and will give you an indication of how much copper is in the fluid, and if it needs to be flushed.

BrakeStrip Ensures Stopping Power

BrakeStrip™ is an easy to use copper brake fluid test that quickly and accurately informs the user if brake fluid needs to be replaced based upon the fluid’s copper level content; all in accordance with MAP guidelines.* This revolutionary product features Phoenix Systems’ patented FASCAR® technology that identifies the exact level of copper ions in brake fluid. Copper is an early sign of corrosion in a brake system. Without correction with new fluid, corrosion can be extremely damaging to a brake system, compromising the integrity and safety of your brakes.

To use: simply dip the BrakeStrip test strip in the fluid, shake off and wait 60 seconds. Then consult the color on the test strip with the FASCAR rating color chart that is included on each product package. If the test strip turns a deep purple color, matching the 200 rating level on the FASCAR rating chart, this corresponds to 200 ppm of copper, a level of copper that would require a brake fluid exchange.

BrakeStrip should be the first step in the preventative maintenance of your brake system, especially for costly ABS systems. Proven, risk-free, easy-to-store and use, this product is used nationwide by top brake service providers.

For the best possible preventative maintenance of any make and model brake system, trust the company that consistently advances brake test and tool technology – Phoenix Systems.

*The Motorist Assurance Program (MAP) has established copper as its recommended standard for monitoring brake fluid replacement at 200 ppm of copper. A FASCAR rating of 200 equals 200 ppm of copper. For more information, go to www.motorist.org.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
So to say but you are wrong. You can buy brake fluid test strips that you dip into the master cylinder, and will give you an indication of how much copper is in the fluid, and if it needs to be flushed.
In one post I have gone from ignorant to educated concerning brake fluid & copper content. Thanks for the information, I learned something today.

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
i thought brake system needs to be bled every few years according to shop manual. had to do mine couse there was something in it like sediment maybe thats what you have. if you havent done brake system bleeding in long time i would recommend getting that done, you can do it yourself with a buddy, not sure how much shop gona charge you, my friend did it for me since he works at the shop, took him maybe half hour when i was installing my GS calipers

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
^^oh ok. im sure its about same for any car, overtime brake fluid "****s" in water and becomes less effective since boiling point of water is lover then boiling point of brake fluid.

·
Banned
578 Posts
A friend just had his car inspected (North Carolina). The garage told him his brake fluid had a high copper content and it would need to be changed ... or it wouldn't pass the state safety inspection. :confused:

So what all is wrong with that sentence?
Nothing. The tubing within the brake system has a very high copper content. Brake fluid, over time, absorbs small amounts of the metal.

Besides looking dirty (which it may or may not) copper content is an accurate way to tell if the fluid is old and in need of flushing.

I did not know any form of automitive inspection (anywhere) used this "test" to pass any sort of inspection! WOW!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info, guys. Thanks for posting.

While I can now see that copper could be detected and what it could mean . . . what I doubt is that it was required for passing inspection. Unless the brake fluid was low, the system was leaking (which I'm sure a repair would have been required), or the fluid looked like mud, I think my buddy was taken on this one.

:thumbsdow

I've saved friends from this kind of thing before. I always tell them, if you're not sure and the garage doesn't outright say the car is dangerous to drive, tell them "Thank u. I don't have the funds today..." - leave and get a second opinion.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
If you can drive a car into the shop, then you should be able to drive out of a shop.

I can just see the brake test strip being another selling tool for the shops, "See, the strip is red, it's dangerous!", it's a whole lot easier than try to explain to an average consumer that brake fluid is hydroscopic and will absorb water, lowering the boiling point to decrease braking efficiency in multiple heavy stop situation.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts