Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to figure out the cause of my intermittent SRS light (still an ongoing dilemma, sadly), I noticed that the SRS DTC code lists commonly listed on many Honda forums are not fully correct for 7th gen Accords. Those code lists are accurate for older Accords/Civics/etc, but not for 7th gen Accords.

For example, most of those lists will say a 6-1 DTC is a "Internal failure of the SRS", when that DTC is actually the driver's seat belt buckle switch in 7th gen Accords.

I can confirm that before I got my buckle replaced, I saw a 61 DTC via the paperclip method. The dealer did a scan with their HDS and came up with the same 61 DTC.

Here's the correct list for the TRW SRS unit found in most 03-05 US made Accords. On this list, if you do the paperclip method, the first 2 digits in the lsit refer to the # of long and short blinks.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Going back to those links, I noticed most of them don't have the full code list. I had looked the codes up in the (03-05) service manual. What codes are you getting now?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Great info, bud :thmsup:

...but now, question, so the DTC list for the '06-07 are yet again, different?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going back to those links, I noticed most of them don't have the full code list. I had looked the codes up in the (03-05) service manual. What codes are you getting now?
I cleared the codes a few times via the MES and also disconnected the battery a few times. But the light keeps coming back on intermittently, and the DTC that is stored is a 5-3 (an actual "internal failure of the SRS"). I have a video from a few months ago where I got both a 5-3 and a 6-1 DTC via the paperclip method, so it looks like the dealer replacing my seat belt and buckle got rid of the 6-1, but the 5-3 is still there.

It is a little strange how the dealer never mentioned anything to me about the 5-3 DTC. But it's looking like I might have to actually replace the SRS computer, unless there's something that could be causing electrical interference with it. I do have an aux adapter installed under the center cubby (near the SRS computer), but I'm not sure if that would have any affect.

Great info, bud :thmsup:

...but now, question, so the DTC list for the '06-07 are yet again, different?
Most of the codes should be the same (or similar), but there are differences between model years and SRS unit manufacturers (Denso vs TRW. Most US cars have TRW units).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I cleared the codes a few times via the MES and also disconnected the battery a few times. But the light keeps coming back on intermittently, and the DTC that is stored is a 5-3 (an actual "internal failure of the SRS"). I have a video from a few months ago where I got both a 5-3 and a 6-1 DTC via the paperclip method, so it looks like the dealer replacing my seat belt and buckle got rid of the 6-1, but the 5-3 is still there.

It is a little strange how the dealer never mentioned anything to me about the 5-3 DTC. But it's looking like I might have to actually replace the SRS computer, unless there's something that could be causing electrical interference with it. I do have an aux adapter installed under the center cubby (near the SRS computer), but I'm not sure if that would have any affect.

Most of the codes should be the same (or similar), but there are differences between model years and SRS unit manufacturers (Denso vs TRW. Most US cars have TRW units).
I dont trust the paperclip method. Mine gives me 5-1 5-2 which is internal failure. Scanner shows buckle, passenger airbag, and driver seat airbag.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts

Maybe the dealership wanted to try and save you some money, hoping that the SRS internal code was intermittent or was caused by the seat belt buckle (seat belt fix is free, but I doubt SRS unit would be). I initially had an internal SRS code too, but after resetting the light it hasn't returned (knocking on that wood again). Hard to believe Honda would have the same code mean different things for different years. It should be a different/additional code, if anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts