Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Accord coupe alloy rims at 100k miles are quite ugly - lot of curb rash.
Can you recommend where should I bring them for cosmetic repair around Chicagoland, please? West suburbs preffered.

I was thinking about doing this myself but after a closer inspection the two-tone design of the stock wheels is rather above my DIY skills.
I would preffer to keep the original look & feel which I like very much.

Thanks!

I posted the current pictures of the wheels on flickr.

·
Registered
231 Posts
usually a refinish is $100-$150. Your better off buying some refinished ones off ebay.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
These wheels are not so much "two tone" as they are two surface finish, the rough surface is the raw casting pattern, the smooth part is machined pattern, you are right it's too difficult for DIY, it will take a lot of right equipment to make the rim look good again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BullShifter said:
usually a refinish is $100-$150. Your better off buying some refinished ones off ebay.
$150 Per wheel? Really that much?

I have just checked the prices of new, stock honda alloy rims on bernardiparts.com and here is what I see:

1. 42700-SDA-A11 DISK, ALUMINUM WHEEL (16X6 1/2JJ) (ENKEI) $140.26 x 4
  2. 44732-S0X-A01 CAP, ALUMINUM WHEEL CENTER $5.72 x 4
  3. 90381-SV7-A01 NUT, WHEEL $2.64 x 20
The cost of new parts: disk+cap+5 nuts is $159.18 per wheel, $636.72 for 4 wheels + shipping.
I do not see any point paying $150 per wheel for labor if almost the same money can fetch factory new parts.
It is quite a lot of money, it is hard to believe nobody would be able to refinish these 4 rims for less money.

Aviography said:
These wheels are not so much "two tone" as they are two surface finish, the rough surface is the raw casting pattern, the smooth part is machined pattern, you are right it's too difficult for DIY, it will take a lot of right equipment to make the rim look good again.
Exactly, thanks for the clarification.
The damage on my rims seems to be limited to the machined, smooth surfaces only (see scuff marks and corrosion on the pictures).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check around there are companies who specialize in refinishing. We haven't sent one out for a while but I think the last place was Stone Wheel in the Chicago Area. I can't remember any of the other ones. Couple winters back when the roads were really bad we had a lot of bent ones to send out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found stonewheel.com but they seem to be automobile parts distributor, not the machining shop... I will keep looking. Thanks!

·
6,322 Posts
Call some local dealers and talk to the used car manager. See if they send wheels out to any shops. Ugly wheels can make a bad first impression.

One of the Honda dealers here would have a company come to them once a month or so. All the certifieds Hondas would have the wheels redone when they were all mucked up.

When I called the shop they quoted around $60 per wheel depending on the condition. If you don't want it 100% corrected and the tire doesn't have to come off a better price can likely be negotiated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i got a quote of 350 for all 4 on long island. mine are much worse..well..they don't have those major dents you have they just have clear coat corrosion.
I'm sure to lug 4 rims you order over to a garage and have them install them on the tires must be far more costly right

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have found stonewheel.com but they seem to be automobile parts distributor, not the machining shop... I will keep looking. Thanks!
I guess stone wheel is the place we got an exchange wheel from. It's been a while since we sent one out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts