Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the 2011 model now has the USB audio interface. I'm wondering if it is possible to swap this into my 2008 model and how much it would cost?

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Doubt it, probably has a different switch that controls that feature. Why do people keep talking about the USB? Just use an MP3 player with the AUX plug...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason people keep talking about a USB connector is that the AUX input simply amplifies out of the speakers the audio that the MP3 player produces. In other words, it uses the MP3's amplifier, not the car's, resulting in extremely poor audio. In contrast, a USB connector simply takes the data off the device and uses the car's amplifier so the audio is as good as if it was coming of the radio or CD. You also have the benefit of navigation using the car's controls, whereas the AUX input does not provide this ability. It is passive.

I really think you could replace the whole switch panel containing the new head unit, but it would probably be expensive. Any one have a good source of discount OEM parts?

·
Registered
296 Posts
A much cheaper alternative (Under 200$) is a module (like the iSimple PXAMG) that connects to the XM plug in the back of your existing radio (And retains XM). I have one in my '08 EX-L Coupe and I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you tell me how this product works? I tried something similar by GROM Audio and after ripping the whole center console apart and installing, I found out that it was real buggy and only worked partly, half the time. Returned it for a full refund. They never did get it to fully work.

Where is the USB connector located? Is file navigation displayed on the screen? Can I just use a flash drive with MP3 files on it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
you could try taking the usb module from the 2011 accord or the 2010 + crosstour and connect it to ur 2008 radio....\i'm not sure how the 2011 usb module interfaces with the radio i.e. what kind of wires/harness hook up to the audio unit from the usb but i wud guess it would be similar to the collegehills 2010 usb interface from the honda fit in the link above my post.

You can find the 2011 or 2010+ crosstour usb module at bernardi honda's parts website...once u select the vehicle, click on interior>console and u should see a usb module for 170 ish bucks.

no one has yet to test this but I tihnk theres a good chance it may work since they use the same module for navi and non navi accords.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts