Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd dropped my key (the all in one Honda oem key/fob combo) one too many times, and this time the case shattered. The piece that holds the battery in place is gone, so therefore it's basically unusable. There's no way for it to hold a battery in place to make it function. Bought a generic replacement on Ebay, which is a total piece of crap, so it's going straight back.

I've concluded oem is probably the only way to go. Can Honda dealerships still get these, and if so, how much does it cost to get one nowadays?

Car is a 2012 Accord coupe EX-L 2.4.

Thank you!

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
Programming costed me $130 the last time at my local dealer, including the new key. Which I think they charged me $50 for.

You can go check out ACE Hardware. They can do the programming and give you a new key. It might be cheaper option for you since dealerships charges differently.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Registered
649 Posts
I'd dropped my key (the all in one Honda oem key/fob combo) one too many times, and this time the case shattered. The piece that holds the battery in place is gone, so therefore it's basically unusable. There's no way for it to hold a battery in place to make it function. Bought a generic replacement on Ebay, which is a total piece of crap, so it's going straight back.

I've concluded oem is probably the only way to go. Can Honda dealerships still get these, and if so, how much does it cost to get one nowadays?

Thank you!
From a Honda dealer's website.

How much does a replacement key cost?
There may come a time when you need a replacement Honda key or simply need a new battery. It’s a good idea to learn about the price and process beforehand. The average price for parts and programming for a replacement key is $90-140. Prices will vary mainly because it depends on the type of remote and key your vehicle calls for.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,197 Posts
Dealers sure can. I got two for my Accord back in July. Call one up and ask them for a quote. Also, it may be wise to have two made, as you only would have to pay for the parts cost of the second key if you get them programmed at the same time.

Reactions: dgates01

· 8th Gen Believer
5,648 Posts
Last year a Dallas dealer charged $180 key and programming. A local locksmith charged $120. Do some searches. Both are still working.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· V6 Supremacist 😎
2,197 Posts
Thanks everyone! Yeah I honestly think dealership oem is the way you want to go if you want something that's good quality and substantial.
It honestly depends. I had a similar issue with my 2010 Accord where the shell broke apart, but the remote part was still completely intact and functional. So I was able to find a replacement shell on Amazon that allowed me to rip out the blade from the old shell and move it and the fob together into the new shell, which meant I wouldn't have to worry about any cutting or programming as I was only changing the shell, nothing else. The new shell was made of a noticeably higher quality plastic than the OEM shell. It was a quality product.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
2,197 Posts
I went back and checked my records.

At the dealer, the parts cost for the driver 1 key was $96.46. $84.33 for the driver 2 key. The cut and program labor cost was $74.94. Should give you an idea of what to expect.

· Registered
1 Posts

Thank you!
I've seen those exact parts for sale on amazon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts