Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

If I go to any mechanic, I assume they're gonna recommend me to change the tires. But, since I greatly value your opinions, I wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm leaving the country shortly and wanted to drop the car (2007 Honda Accord SE 4 Door 2.4L) off at my friend's place in Orange County, CA (which would be about 1000 miles from where I live, Albuquerque) to sell it. I'll be going through Flagstaff and other mountainous regions. :frown

Here are the pictures of the tires:

Right front:

Left front:

Right back:

I could either replace them by ordering an economic set at Tirerack or somewhere else and drive to California with the peace of mind or my friend could sell the car and have the new owner replace it, after I drop the car off. I assume selling the car with new tires would be more appealing to prospective buyers, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for being silly but let's just say that I don't know many people in real life that are really knowledgeable about cars, let alone about Honda Accords.

If you recommend me to change the tires, could you please let me know which ones you would get and from where?

Many many thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
I really would not risk it. Can you guarantee that a tire won't pop, causing you to crash or worse? No!

I would at least go to a shop and put on some used tires for cheap. Plus, the tires look old. An extra chance of popping.

Used tires are about $20-25

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I agree. Wouldn't feel comfortable driving 1000 miles on those.

Also, a potential buyer might not consider the car if it needs new tires...however, if it has brand new tires, will be a big plus for a buyer.

My advice would be don't think too much about which tires you should get. I overthinked my decision recently, but ended up going with Cooper CS5 Ultra tires as recommended here, and love them! The're $89/each (could probably get comparable tires for cheaper). Obviously if you're selling the car you might be able to get a new set cheaper than that.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,627 Posts
I've never had a tire "pop". Usually I get a nail or something in the tread that causes it to go flat. That could happen to a new or an old tire.

With that said, that tread looks OLD, cracking, and not much there. Hit a puddle or even just wet roads on those and you better hang on, you're going for a ride......

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
I see popped tires all over the road. I also heard tragic stories. Recently, a bus had a tire pop. Couple of people died. Just change them.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
They're not even down to the wear bars yet so they'll probably go another thousand. When I bought my wife's Accord I tried to get the guy down another $500 for tires. He met me halfway at $250. I spent $480 on new Bridgestone Ecopias from Walmart. I coulda saved about $80 and wanted for them to ship in some Goodyear VIVA 3's but didn't feel like waiting.

You could drive over to Walmart and put on a set of Douglas (they're cheapest) that'll set you back $250-300.

Or do nothing, drive the thousand miles, and when you sell it, meet the buyer halfway at $250 and save your time.

I see popped tires all over the road. I also heard tragic stories. Recently, a bus had a tire pop. Couple of people died. Just change them.
I've never seen a popped tire anywhere cept when my wife hits a curb doing a U-turn. Sure you're not talking about the 18-wheeler re-treads that blow off? I see tons of that crap.

My kid didn't do the front end alignment I told him to do after we changed an a-frame on the Taurus. Few months later he's 2 blocks from home and blew a tire. But steel belts were showing and probably had been for months. This guy has even wear and no belts showing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say those tires are done. With a 1000 mile drive in the summer heat, I wouldn't want to risk it. I'd put on a reasonably priced set of tires, and you'll have some piece of mind plus you can advertise the car as having new tires which should make it easier to sell.

Keep in mind that if a tire should blow out, it often is not just the tire that is damaged. Your wheel could get damaged as you get the car stopped, and it is not uncommon for a part of tire which has just blown to flop around and damage the fender or quarter panel. Body damage from a blown tire will definitely not help your car sell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for your responses everyone.

I really would not risk it. Can you guarantee that a tire won't pop, causing you to crash or worse? No!

I would at least go to a shop and put on some used tires for cheap. Plus, the tires look old. An extra chance of popping.

Used tires are about $20-25
Thank you, salcuta88. Any idea where one can get used tires at those rates? Trying to contact Big O Tires and Discount Tires right now.

UPDATE:

Discount Tires are quoting me $459 OTD (out the door) for Falken Pro G4 A/S (205 /60 R16 92V SL BSW) with their standard free Lifetime Rotations and Prorated Road Hazard.

The tires come with a $75 Visa Prepaid Card Mail-in Rebate and an additional $60 prepaid card (after MIR) if I apply for their credit card.

Any thoughts on this one guys?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I get used tires on my old truck all the time. You have to be careful and pick out a good set. I got a pair once for $50 ($80 installed) and they were nearly new. Bought another complete set of nearly new Michelins for my daughter's Elantra for $300 installed. I wasn't able to get any for my wife's Accord because they didn't have any of the right size. Ditto the Taurus. The local place here is called Tire King and I always check there first. Dunno if they're nationwide or not.

I've been to other used tire places where all of their tires look like what you have right now or worse. That's why I said go for it. Used places sell tires like that all day long. US made tires are pretty bad ass. If you ain't showing steel belts you're probably OK.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,118 Posts
If I were you, I would just buy the cheapest new set of tires. You probably can get all the new tire price back when you selling the car. Most importantly you don't have to drive with unsafe tires.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discount Tires are quoting me $459 OTD (out the door) for Falken Pro G4 A/S (205 /60 R16 92V SL BSW) with their standard free Lifetime Rotations and Prorated Road Hazard.

The tires come with a $75 Visa Prepaid Card Mail-in Rebate and an additional $60 prepaid card (after MIR) if I apply for their credit card.

Any thoughts on this one guys?
That's not bad. Like I said I spent $480 at Walmart. The lifetime rotation and road hazard will only be good to you as the original buyer so it's basically only good for the next 1000 miles. You get to pocket the cards and use them for gas so you're basically paying $320 for the set.

Your call.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
Thanks again for your responses everyone.

Thank you, salcuta88. Any idea where one can get used tires at those rates? Trying to contact Big O Tires and Discount Tires right now.
Go to local tire shops, not national. Local businesses exchange and sell used tires all the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Those look almost like mine, but mine aren't cracked. Mine are probably 1mm deeper than yours and I put up 1000 miles every 2 weeks. I plan to drive them through the summer, slap on my winter tires for winter, then get new tires next spring. Just make sure you don't hit rain.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
Those look almost like mine, but mine aren't cracked. Mine are probably 1mm deeper than yours and I put up 1000 miles every 2 weeks. I plan to drive them through the summer, slap on my winter tires for winter, then get new tires next spring. Just make sure you don't hit rain.
Why don't you replace yours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walmart and Costco recommend 215/50R17 tires for my car while TireRack and Discount Tires recommend 205/60R16

What gives? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Why don't you replace yours?
Because I need the money for the upcoming timing belt job and the worn down Yokohamas can handle the dry summer road condition. There is no reason to toss them if I can still use them for a few more thousand miles. Please I rotate them every 5000 miles, which yields more life out of them.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,458 Posts
Tires are very important, and the only place I would go on those tires is to buy new tires. If you plan to drive 1000 miles on those tires, I would have two spares in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I've NEVER drove on tires that looked that bad. Time for one final burnout and then a new set of tires.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts