Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
How about people read through the thread instead of starting all over again like lower life forms? How about all those Toyota salesmen posting "Has Honda fixed their exploding engine problem yet?" one post wonders....How about we stop enabling the trolls?

Read the thread.

Reactions: TexasDavid

·
2020 Accord 1.5 T Frost
64 Posts
Well after two years of watching the progression of this car as it shows it’s durability I decided to pull the trigger on a 2020 1.5T LX. I’m a college student and just landed a new job so I’m being practical. I previously owned a 2005 TL with only 112k miles. The only thing I want to do is add the sport wheels . A guy at the dealership advised me to look elsewhere for the sport 10th gen wheels . Any advice is appreciated on where to purchase when I get ready next month to do the switch . Also I saw the 1.5T dilution issues and short trips thread. I live in Atlanta where the weather has been cold . Should I be worried ?

Attachments

Reactions: overlord

·
Registered
451 Posts
Id buy some enkei's at about 20 lbs each for wheels. Just my 0.02.

Reactions: Chad T

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Also I saw the 1.5T dilution issues and short trips thread. I live in Atlanta where the weather has been cold . Should I be worried ?
Not much. First off, the issue was addressed by Honda to minimize it in CR-V/Civics. By all accounts that is true of the Accords. Atlanta may have the odd cold spell, but it's nothing compared to "up here" where I haven't had a hint of it so far. (To be fair, I generally make longer drives than short errands).

A thing to consider for long term ownership would be an oil catch can to reduce intake valve deposits from the PCV loop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, I keep hearing so much stuff about the oil dilution issue pertaining to the 2017+ Honda CR-V and the late model Civics with the 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine........but not nearly as much about with regard to the 2018+ Accord. I own a 2018 Accord and my girlfriend has a 2017 CR-V; and both have the 1.5L turbo engine.

The 2017 CR-V has 38,000 on it and I changed the oil & filter yesterday. I do it every 4k miles and the oil seems to be pretty dirty (no odor of gasoline in it at all). I use fully synthetic 0w20 and a name brand filter (Honda, Fram, STP, Mobil-1 or what not). The 2018 Accord - same engine - is on a 4,000 to 4,500 mile oil change interval. The old oil is not as dirty as in the CR-V, but I also use the same 0w20 full synthetic and a name brand filter. The 10,000-mile interval suggested by the car's computer seems foolish at best and masochistic at worst.

Regarding the CV-T (which is in both the CR-V and the Accord), I am going to have the one in the CR-V done at 40k when it goes for state inspection and will have the Accord done when I get to 40k sometime this fall. My son has a 2013 Accord with the 2.4L non-turbo engine, but I honestly don't know if his has a traditional automatic or CVT. He has about 110k and the car runs like a top.

Anybody here having oil dilution issues at all?

Reactions: Mikeh

·
HondaKernelPanic
15 Posts
Putting in some $0.02 because I did a LOT of research about this issue before I went with my Accord. I honestly am not worried about the Oil Dilution issue. My 2.0T seems to keep pretty clean as far as the 2 oil changes I've done so far and I just turned ~11k miles.

Based on some of the research I have done myself, I'm going to continue changing my oil every 5500~6500 miles (usually my MM hits 20% at this point). I do take my car to someone I have trusted implicitly to work on my vehicles for years and even he suggested to keep up with the 5500-6500 oil changes. From our discussions and investigation in the shop, he hasn't found any oil dilution in mine and the takeaway I got from a lot of the research/advice is to drive the car and enjoy it. I was advised that some oil dilution is normal in ALL Direct Injected motors regardless of the manufacturer just due to the nature of direct injection. The best thing you can do is take your car for a long drive (if you drive short distances a lot, live in cold climates or are just generally worried) so if there is any amount of excess that makes it past the piston, it will evaporate as the engine will be warmed up fully.

Just doing a quick glance at some 2016 1.5T Civics on Autotrader, there are some on there that I've seen with ~175k miles and those are the first gen motors where these issues first cropped up. I would assume those wouldn't be on the market anymore if this was as big of an issue as folks make it out to be. Considering those 2016 civics were released over 4 years ago and the MY18 Accords came out roughly at the end of 2017, I think we'd see some posts now about the wear if this was a major issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I paid for an oil analysis a few months back and they noted down that there was elevated gasoline in my sample, but not enough to lose sleep over. Just to monitor the level of oil on the dipstick. For me, even though I would be mostly comfortable w/ running my oil until MM says, I change the oil myself whenever it's at 50% and at 0%.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you have a lot of short trips? Meaning... Less than 5 miles?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I paid for an oil analysis a few months back and they noted down that there was elevated gasoline in my sample, but not enough to lose sleep over. Just to monitor the level of oil on the dipstick. For me, even though I would be mostly comfortable w/ running my oil until MM says, I change the oil myself whenever it's at 50% and at 0%.
Good on you for sharing this

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Accord lx and 2019 Accord Hybrid base
222 Posts
Putting in some $0.02 because I did a LOT of research about this issue before I went with my Accord. I honestly am not worried about the Oil Dilution issue. My 2.0T seems to keep pretty clean as far as the 2 oil changes I've done so far and I just turned ~11k miles.

Based on some of the research I have done myself, I'm going to continue changing my oil every 5500~6500 miles (usually my MM hits 20% at this point). I do take my car to someone I have trusted implicitly to work on my vehicles for years and even he suggested to keep up with the 5500-6500 oil changes. From our discussions and investigation in the shop, he hasn't found any oil dilution in mine and the takeaway I got from a lot of the research/advice is to drive the car and enjoy it. I was advised that some oil dilution is normal in ALL Direct Injected motors regardless of the manufacturer just due to the nature of direct injection. The best thing you can do is take your car for a long drive (if you drive short distances a lot, live in cold climates or are just generally worried) so if there is any amount of excess that makes it past the piston, it will evaporate as the engine will be warmed up fully.

Just doing a quick glance at some 2016 1.5T Civics on Autotrader, there are some on there that I've seen with ~175k miles and those are the first gen motors where these issues first cropped up. I would assume those wouldn't be on the market anymore if this was as big of an issue as folks make it out to be. Considering those 2016 civics were released over 4 years ago and the MY18 Accords came out roughly at the end of 2017, I think we'd see some posts now about the wear if this was a major issue.
Yep. This argument is not new and whatever “evidence” shows up is not consist amongst the fleet of vehicles. It’s also worth noting how many people raise a stink about it who don’t even own the vehicle. It’s the mentality of justifying what you have and what you don’t (and that mentality applies in all directions). I had the original for ecoboost which everyone thought would have fuel dilution and other issues. This engine has proven to go hundreds of thousands of hard miles. I have more confidence in Honda design having spent time in Japan. 👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
But is it a design flaw or QC issue?

Pretty sure Honda cars in China are also made in China as well, under Dongfeng Honda.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
Accords are made by Guangqi Honda, Civics & CR-V's are made by Dongfeng Honda in China.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Whats the "issue"?
Did you verify that the dealer didn't over fill the crankcase after he changed it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Whats the "issue"?
Did you verify that the dealer didn't over fill the crankcase after he changed it?
It be safe to say that this vehicle isn't specd for 4.8 quarts of oil. Sending a sample to have it analyzed will answer the question. Was it over filled or a dilution problem?

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
It be safe to say that this vehicle isn't specd for 4.8 quarts of oil. Sending a sample to have it analyzed will answer the question. Was it over filled or a dilution problem?
No idea what its capacity is, because I've never owned a 1.5L.
I never assume something based upon one post, either.
(There have been many members, some still here... some long gone...that have no idea what the oil capacity of their engine is)

I'm sure the OP knows that answer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No idea what its capacity is, because I've never owned a 1.5L.
I never assume something based upon one post, either.
(There have been many members, some still here... some long gone...that have no idea what the oil capacity of their engine is)

I'm sure the OP knows that answer.
I'm not asking the question. I'm saying, that's why he may be sending in the sample. To find the answer as to why he drained out 4.8 quarts.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I'm not asking the question. I'm saying, that's why he may be sending in the sample. To find the answer as to why he drained out 4.8 quarts.
Could be.
But as I said, we still have missing info from him.

261 - 280 of 295 Posts