Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
2019 1.5 engine after dealer put in valvoline after 1600 their was 4.8 quarts oil in crankcase. sample sent to blackstone for fuel dilution issue
Your posts are difficult to understand, and leave out information. In this example, you do not mention if the car was overfilled at the last oil change- which happens a lot. So maybe the issue is that your dealer is a moron, and you, the owner, didn't bother to check the oil level immediately before/after an oil change.

And that has been pointed out so many times....

Please...and thank you.

Reactions: jcglos and 2Accordz

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Rick..you're spot on.
How many times do we hear that dealers throw in 5 quarts because they're way too lazy to watch the oil meter when they put it in with their bulk containers?
Or, they use quart containers...and throw all 5 in.

It's almost routine.

Reactions: jcglos

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
And if this really is a fuel in the oil issue, it would be rather important to document how he arrived at this conclusion. I am merging this with the existing thread....

Reactions: NailGrease

·
Registered
2019 HONDA aCCORD 1.5 SPORT
24 Posts
Your posts are difficult to understand, and leave out information. In this example, you do not mention if the car was overfilled at the last oil change- which happens a lot. So maybe the issue is that your dealer is a moron, and you, the owner, didn't bother to check the oil level immediately before/after an oil change.

And that has been pointed out so many times....

Please...and thank you.
the way the dipsticks are i could have overlooked it originally i know and sending to blackstone today will answer if it is fuel but pics dont lie and 3.7 is the fill not 4.8. this did not happen untill they put valvoline syn at dealer and was only 1600 miles on the oil. i had 3000 miles on castrol edge 0w20 on it before they changed it out!

and i might add it did not rise on the dipstick before with castrol edge in it!

·
Registered
2020 Accord EX-L 1.5T
19 Posts
I have a question about the potential oil dilution problem from a slightly different angle. I bought my Accord 1.5T CVT on Jan 2 of this year, and then Covid hit a couple months later. Since then, I have been WFH ever since. With all that said, I have only accumulated 2260 miles since then, in 8 1/2 months. I have not yet taken the car in for oil service (or anything for that matter). Can the "age" of the oil sitting in the engine be an issue with the dilution problem, or any other problem that may come along. I kind of feel I am answering my own question by reading the maintenance schedule below, but welcome any comments.

The only thing I see is in the maintenance schedule stating that the oil should be changed in 12 months if the maintenance monitor does not show anything by then:

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
the way the dipsticks are i could have overlooked it originally i know and sending to blackstone today will answer if it is fuel but pics dont lie and 3.7 is the fill not 4.8. this did not happen untill they put valvoline syn at dealer and was only 1600 miles on the oil. i had 3000 miles on castrol edge 0w20 on it before they changed it out!

and i might add it did not rise on the dipstick before with castrol edge in it!
If you're saying that you have an extra quart of gasoline in that oil, you've got a huge problem...that's almost unheard of(even with some of these 1.5L turbos, having known issues)
Now, if they simply over filled it, thinking that it was a 2.0, well that's a service tech sleeping at the wheel...
Why did they change the previous synth oil with only 3K miles?? That seems like a huge waste of money.

I have a question about the potential oil dilution problem from a slightly different angle. I bought my Accord 1.5T CVT on Jan 2 of this year, and then Covid hit a couple months later. Since then, I have been WFH ever since. With all that said, I have only accumulated 2260 miles since then, in 8 1/2 months. I have not yet taken the car in for oil service (or anything for that matter). Can the "age" of the oil sitting in the engine be an issue with the dilution problem, or any other problem that may come along.
Nope.
You're supposed to get rid of your oil once a year, even if your not driving it, but in your case, you're not even close.
Some of these new oils can go longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're saying that you have an extra quart of gasoline in that oil, you've got a huge problem...that's almost unheard of(even with some of these 1.5L turbos, having known issues)
Now, if they simply over filled it, thinking that it was a 2.0, well that's a service tech sleeping at the wheel...
Why did they change the previous synth oil with only 3K miles?? That seems like a huge waste of money.
it was at 15 on minder and i decided to let dealer do it and rotate wheels. but you seen the piuc a full milk gallon half a quart in another jug. Not l a person to lie about sorry!

i think its overfill as you all do. we will find out i will post results from blackstone. i know the dealer will not change it again. i only hope they haven`t damaged the engine or their lease value might hit rock bottom on it after resale.

Do you have a lot of short trips? Meaning... Less than 5 miles?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
when we got our new accords no one from honda sales told us we had to drive only freeway and not short in town trips to avoid fuel dilition.I wish people would wake up!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I meant to post this a while ago, this is a oil test on my daughters 2019 Honda Civic 1.5l DI Turbo. I personally smelled fuel in the oil, and it was over on the dipstick ( I think I overfilled it as it only holds 3.7qts.). This is the second oil change, I did a 3rd one not to long ago but I did not get a test. I changed it based on the MM. The fuel dilution was 1.3% under the 2.0% limit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
when we got our new accords no one from honda sales told us we had to drive only freeway and not short in town trips to avoid fuel dilition.I wish people would wake up!
If you want the facts... I wouldn't listen to much of what any salesman has to say.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i DON`T! But enlighten us all on them facts your so wise about friend!
Ok. Somebody listed their blackstone report and I asked about their driving habits to have a better understanding of the circumstances.

Maybe you should ask more questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok. Somebody listed their blackstone report and I asked about their driving habits to have a better understanding of the circumstances.

after changiung my wifes civic oil today i found the same oil filter i had paid to be changed with last oil change for it at dealer november 2019. They are cheats and i advise no one to do business with kokomo autoworld

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

This is my daughters car, she drives to work everyday, it is 32 mile round-trip on back roads, highest speed is 55. She goes to lunch everyday and drives about 2 miles round-trip. This oil was in the car from about August till February, she lives in Dallas Georgia, so not terribly cold but it gets to about freezing in the winter.

The dipstick is hard to read and it appeared to be overfull when it was new, I changed the oil and probably put too much in. I am used to my RDX and Accord, both take almost 5 quarts. Only using 3.7 from a 5qt jug is not hard, I just got a little carried away (maybe 8 oz over). It was not worth the time to drain the extra out.

The oil test came back normal, the car uses 0 oil and runs good every time I have driven it. This fuel in the oil issue is way overblown. If you are worried get it tested, if you want change the oil every 3k and you have nothing to worry about except your wallet being lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: I800C0LLECT

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh I'm not worried at all. I think people should understand engines are designed to work within tolerances. That includes seasons and temperatures. I've always known that short trips are hard on vehicles no matter the size, turbo, naturally aspirated, diesel, gasoline etc.

Similarly, I think quoting me was likely meant for somebody who was upset over all of this. I specifically avoided the 10th gen because of the turbos. I pay attention because family members have them. I do find circumstances surrounding people results interesting

Edit: this is who I originally responded to btw.

I paid for an oil analysis a few months back and they noted down that there was elevated gasoline in my sample, but not enough to lose sleep over. Just to monitor the level of oil on the dipstick. For me, even though I would be mostly comfortable w/ running my oil until MM says, I change the oil myself whenever it's at 50% and at 0%.
Do you have a lot of short trips? Meaning... Less than 5 miles?

Nope. Mostly highway. And I drove the car for >20 minutes before capturing the sample.

·
Registered
297 Posts
after changiung my wifes civic oil today i found the same oil filter i had paid to be changed with last oil change for it at dealer november 2019. They are cheats and i advise no one to do business with kokomo autoworld
That's upsetting. It's always frustrating to learn about these things after the fact

281 - 295 of 295 Posts