Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
I'm in the beginning steps of doing my timing belt and I am already stuck trying to get the crank pulley bolt off . I've tried a half inch impact rated at 340 ftlbs +. Big half in breaker bar with a good size pipe. And no results. I have broken 2 of my extensions, both half inch and Ihave the tool to hold the pulley and have made zero progress on the bolt. ive tried everything but heat on the bolt. I feel like I'm going to snap the bolt off in the crank if I put any more torque on it. Any advice would be helpful at this point

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Go to a shop and pay them $20 to loosen it for you then snug it back.

I did that many years ago, it's worth the $20 or $30 if you want to save money and do the rest of the work yourself.

I ran into this problem again last fall, this time I just paid $400 labor and supplied the parts to a buddy's Honda shop to have the work done, no mess and I felt it was a fair cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man I really wanted to do it this weekend while I have time to do it. Would heat be a bad idea? Seems like mixed opinions on that from what I've read

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Yes it's a bad idea, the heat will carry into the crankshaft seal, potentially damaging it by the time you heat the bolt enough to loosen.

Soak it with PB Blaster and keep trying, use good tools so you can get free replacement if broken, FWIW I have a 1/2" drive 550 ft-lb pneumatic impact wrench and it didn't work.

Check out this recent thread http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156818

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on my way back from sears now. I'll give it another try when I get home. Should I worry about the bolt breaking at all?

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
I don't think so, but then again it's not my car so don't take my word for it, however I have yet to hear anyone actually snapping this bolt, this is why impact wrench is usually good for this, as it shocks the bolt hundreds of time per minute to break the binding, rather than just brute force.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well no luck. Ended up breaking up a inner piece of the harmonic balancer where the 50mm nut holds it. Fml

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used oxy/ acetylene torch & heated up just the hex on the bolt with no problems. Yes, you could do some damage to the seal IF you overheat the bolt. Just heat the head, let cool off for a couple minutes then use your impact to remove. Of course inspect the seal for damage & replace if damaged. They are inexpensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts