Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've got an 05 Accord 4 cylinder that has been getting terrible mileage recently.

I bought the car from a guy in Tampa who didn't think much of maintenance. I had a legit mechanic in Tampa check it out before I bought it, and he cleared the engine and pointed out some things needing fixed in the tire area:

Between myself and my local mechanic (a legit guy), here is what's been done:

- New spark plugs
- Replaced CV axles
- Replaced front rotors
- Replaced two front tires
- Induction cleaning

Within the past several months, I've gotten really bad gas mileage (less than 20 highway, more like 13-14 city). Been browsing the forums, and sounds similar to this thread.

My car shakes on acceleration from a dead stop until around 20mph, then smooths out, but I'm thinking that is more of a back tire issue (thinking of replacing those soon). But I can't imagine the tires alone are causing this much of a drop in gas mileage.

I don't think weather is a factor. The temp has dropped here in FL, but I checked my tire pressure, and it's where it should be.

My mechanic is scratching his head on it, and the Honda dealer here in town has a reputation for being steeper than most, so I'm just curious if anyone has any other ideas as to what may be causing my gas mileage to plummet like this before I have to drag myself to the dealer. :dunno:

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
1) I lived in Clearwater for four years and know damn good an well there is more that one Honda dealer in the Tampa area.

2) How many miles on this pig?

3) What mileage were you getting and when?

4) Did you do ANYTHING to the vehicle before the mpg dropped? If so, what exactly?

5) Was any of this better mileage during the winter months when winter gas robs you off a few mpg?

6) Did you switch from pure gas to the corn-blend gas?

7) What does "induction cleaning" exactly mean? What was done?

8) How dirty is your air filter?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimijam, I actually live in Tallahassee. I just bought the car in Tampa.

2) 120K miles

3) I was getting about 25-27mpg hwy before and about 19 city.

4) The only things done to the before I noticed the drop were replacing the front rotors and CV axles, rotating the tires, and an induction cleaning.

5) I noticed this right after Thanksgiving when the weather was cooling, but not dramatically. I can't imagine enough to cause a drop that much in fuel economy.

6) I was using the same gas station, a USA Gas place. As a precaution, I started filling up at a Shell station nearby to make sure it wasn't just a bad tank of gas. Still the same problem.

7) See here for an explanation of induction cleaning. Since this has more to do with the intakes. I'm wondering if somehow something tripped up an air flow sensor, which I'm thinking would affect fuel economy. Thoughts?

8) Air filter looks pretty clean.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
5) could be the same time when your local stations switched over to winter-blend gas. this alone usually drops mpg.

7) so who did it and how did they do it? hook it up to a fancy machine? maybe you got ripped off and all they did was charge you for the service. pull the intake tube and look at the throttle-body plate. if it's got any visible black gunk on it, or just inside where the plate closes, then you got ripped off and a throttle-body and maf cleaning is in order.

9) did you put on the same tires or were they a more aggressive performance tread than what you took off?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5) Good point.

7) I'll take a look at the intake tube/throttle plate. My mechanic hasn't given me a reason to distrust him so far, but I'll definitely dig into it.

9) Nah, I just put on some Goodyear Eagles. Don't think there's anything performance about them.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
7) That "induction cleaning" link has me a little worried. Usually you just need a few squirts from a can of MAF cleaner and a few squirts from a can of throttle body cleaner (each made by a company called "CRC") and that's it.

I did see a poor throttle body cleaning once that allowed the throttle body plate to stay slightly open. MPG were lost and it idled kind of high.

9) Small mention here: New tires are generally heavier than older, worn tires. Not enough to cause the mileage drop you are experiencing, but guys on the Miata forums (very tiny engines so weight savings is important) compare tires in ounces/grams. Doubt you got heavy snow tires in the DR, but just wanted to say it....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RickBlaine, good to know. I'll definitely look into this induction cleaning business. The more I think about it, I'm wondering if something was just left a little off, or if the sensor got tweaked somehow. I'll do some investigating and let everyone know what turns up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something else I totally forgot to include above, but my check engine intermittently comes on. It didn't start until after the mechanic had it last. It randomly cuts on every few days then goes off again. Mentioned it to my mechanic, just haven't gotten the car back to him. Maybe it's an indicator to what RickBlaine mentioned above about the throttle body plate or something else letting more air in than it should be.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
joshisaking: You have got to pull the engine code (it will be stored in the car's computer for a while). I guess in the DR you don't have Advanced Auto or a Pep Boys on every other corner that will pull the code for free- so you may want to invest $15-$75 in a bluetooth or wired OBD II reader that will tell you the code.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Could be O2 sensors also detecting a lean mix, you should try to pull this code when it's on. Problems with O2 sensors can also increase fuel consumption.

·
Registered
16 Posts
joshisaking: You have got to pull the engine code (it will be stored in the car's computer for a while). I guess in the DR you don't have Advanced Auto or a Pep Boys on every other corner that will pull the code for free- so you may want to invest $15-$75 in a bluetooth or wired OBD II reader that will tell you the code.
Hi Rick, I think you are confused with threads, I'm the guy in DR with a similar Fuel Economy.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168978

:D:D:D:D

·
Banned
13,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Go to a local AutoZone or Pep Boys type shop to get the codes read, some times there are what's called "pending" codes which will not turn on the CEL yet but will be stored in the ECU, a good OBD-II reader such as the ones from Innova can read these pending codes which you will otherwise know.

Use the data and info that is available to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts