Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally brought my car for services for the very first time 2 days ago. And i think i mentioned about this on my thread couple months ago about how my steering is a little bit odd. long story short the dealer confirms that my steering is crooked a little bit to the right, but the car itself didn't pull to the right during drive. so they reschedule my appointment next week so they can realign it again. I know at least the dealer will fixed it for free (hopefully), but to think of new car with crooked steering wheel, i just don't like it. I'm a B**h when it comes to my car. Does anybody also experience the same thing?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I certainly hate it when my steering wheel is not centered. I assume that is what you are talking about. It sounds like you are saying the car itself is not pulling. That said, if the steering wheel was centered when new and the car starts pulling to the right you would have to move the wheel LEFT to compensate. Pull left = steering wheel moved right to compensate. Bottom line for you is if the alignment checks OK but the wheel is turned to the right, have the dealer CENTER the wheel, which will entail them pulling and remounting the wheel on the column.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
have the dealer CENTER the wheel, which will entail them pulling and remounting the wheel on the column.
false. never do this. this will mess with the turn to lock and can potentially cause cable reel breakage.

the correct way to adjust this is to turn the tie rods to center the wheel. we can do it off the alignment rack with a general guide of 1 flat of the inner tie rods = about 2mm of steering wheel movement.

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
false. never do this. this will mess with the turn to lock and can potentially cause cable reel breakage.

the correct way to adjust this is to turn the tie rods to center the wheel. we can do it off the alignment rack with a general guide of 1 flat of the inner tie rods = about 2mm of steering wheel movement.

Sorry, but i dont understand about this. However do you think the dealer know what they are doing of the way of centering my steering wheel with your way ? i dont want the dealer to ruin my car. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry, but i dont understand about this. However do you think the dealer know what they are doing of the way of centering my steering wheel with your way ? i dont want the dealer to ruin my car. :thumbsdow
Have your ever looked at tie rod components off the vehicle? They are threaded for a reason.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Agreed. This is exactly the procedure we use in the shop at work.
Should be covered under warranty.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
No worries. Any shop that knows what they are doing does it this way. It's how an alignment is done. Center the wheel, get all measurements green. Recenter wheel, verify.

Have your ever looked at tie rod components off the vehicle? They are threaded for a reason.
Probably not considering he is asking how it is done and admitting that he does not understand. But, whatever makes you feel better, bro.

Jay

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vehicle Pulls or Drifts and/or Steering Wheel is Off-Center.
the car does not pulls or drift, only the steering wheel is crooked slightly to the right.

·
Registered
884 Posts
They'll loosen the tie rods and then center the wheel. Not a big deal.

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, thx.. i just don't want the dealer to ruin my car...

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts

I have this issue with my other Honda that just went through alignment. Doesn't pull, but even though the guy took it up and down on the rack and several test drives, he didn't get the wheel centered.

Is this something I can fix myself when it warms up in the spring if I drive the car up on ramps? If so, what is "one flat of the inner tie rod"?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have this issue with my other Honda that just went through alignment. Doesn't pull, but even though the guy took it up and down on the rack and several test drives, he didn't get the wheel centered.

Is this something I can fix myself when it warms up in the spring if I drive the car up on ramps? If so, what is "one flat of the inner tie rod"?
well imagine a regular bolt and nut. the nut has 6 points and 6 flat spots. the flat spot is one flat.

also keep in mind you have to mark the tie rod, nut and outer tie rod to ensure you turn exactly even on both sides, otherwise you'd have some toe in or out issues that might not be apparent when driving but noticeable as tire wear down the line. this is why I almost exclusively recommend alignment over centering. what if you have a thrust angle? camber/caster issues? imo it's best to have it perfect.

someone linked a good service bulletin explaining everything - view that and I'm pretty sure it'll explain centering the steering wheel.

also the dealer can mess up your car, but they will also fix it if they do.

as far as him not able to center the wheel it's probably a combination of things such as: older alignment rack, road crown of the road you experience problems, front toe is not set toe in a hair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts