Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know how else to say it, but has there ever been a thread that asks if any other Honda parts cross spec over to other models or generations? What i mean is has anyone attempted to see what parts can be used or are the same as either newer or older models? Like could an aftermarket strut tower brace from an 8th gen accord possibly work on a 10th gen? I have seen plenty that have adjustable threaded ends, with different style mounting surfaces. I feel i may have to be the guinea pig for this. I have seen some figure that brembos from a genesis work with a small amount of modding. But back to asking, has anybody figured any other parts that are cross compatible with our cars?

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,157 Posts
I didn't know how else to say it, but has there ever been a thread that asks if any other Honda parts cross spec over to other models or generations? What i mean is has anyone attempted to see what parts can be used or are the same as either newer or older models? Like could an aftermarket strut tower brace from an 8th gen accord possibly work on a 10th gen?
An after market oil filter from an 8th gen accord will work on your 10th gen.

An after market valve stem cap from every prior gen Accord will work on your 10th gen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL... thanks for that. I found some interesting posts from other gen forums. Seems that the tower distances differ in all gens so its a matter of getting an adjustable one and making the mounting positions work for the car. Hmmm might be an interesting project.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But.... why?
But why, what?? Why i asked the question... Its called curiosity. I wondered if there were interchangeable parts. So i ask ....

I have a fabrication background and am very good at making things, so my thoughts were to see how feasible it is to find a strut brace design that's already out and make the mounting rings for the strut brace and make it specific for the 10th gen. To me that's how stuff gets made.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don’t think a full and single thread on this exists. However, plenty of “can I add the heated steering wheel from the Canada model, etc.” threads.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
But.... why?
It's a good question. Well, maybe not in terms of 'threads' on the news group, but in finding sites that cross reference parts across models.

I was surprised when looking for parts for my son's Subi how a given, important, steering part was used on 3 different models and in at least 1 case bridged a gen in the Subi lineup.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ignoring for a moment the case of "cross-parts" that can be "made to work", with some modification, it is a generally-interesting question to know, for a given part needed on a 10th-gen Accord, what other years of Accords also used the same part, not to mention other models and makes that use the same, or an equivalent part.

Unfortunately, most "parts search" algorithms aren't set up for this sort of reverse search. Basically, armed with a part number, you'd like to be able to find a listing of all car makes, models, and years, that use that same part, as well as any identical parts that have different numbers for other makes. Sort of like a giant version of the oil filter, air filter, and spark plug "cross reference" charts that used to be displayed at auto parts stores.

Some parts stores will show a "where used" listing, although sometimes it is limited to just within a brand or make. Actually, I find that eBay is pretty good about showing multi-make "where used" info. If you know the Honda part number, and search for that part on eBay, any listing for the part will quite likely show all of the Honda cars that use the part (and in fact will let you do a double-check on whether the part is applicable to your own model, year, trim level, etc.) In some cases, you may also be able to see generic or equivalent part numbers for the part, as well as other brands/makes that use the same or equivalent part.

I remember one time I was looking for a fuel pressure regulator for a Volvo (which was made by Bosch, for Volvo). When I searched for the Volvo part number on eBay, the compatibility info showed that the Volvo part was the same as a Bosch-badged part, which in turn was used on multiple makes. And the Bosch part was cheaper than the Volvo-badged identical part....

In the case of struts, one way to figure out equivalency might be to go to an aftermarket strut maker's web site, and search for parts that fit your car, and then see if the same parts come up for other years, gens, etc. (If the web site doesn't tell you this already.) Of course, the same brute-force method can be used on Honda parts sites...

·
Registered
923 Posts
RockAuto has an easy way to compare this based on the way they've set up their site. Just drill down to both model years in separate windows and you could do a quick comparison of parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ignoring for a moment the case of "cross-parts" that can be "made to work", with some modification, it is a generally-interesting question to know, for a given part needed on a 10th-gen Accord, what other years of Accords also used the same part, not to mention other models and makes that use the same, or an equivalent part.

Unfortunately, most "parts search" algorithms aren't set up for this sort of reverse search. Basically, armed with a part number, you'd like to be able to find a listing of all car makes, models, and years, that use that same part, as well as any identical parts that have different numbers for other makes. Sort of like a giant version of the oil filter, air filter, and spark plug "cross reference" charts that used to be displayed at auto parts stores.

Some parts stores will show a "where used" listing, although sometimes it is limited to just within a brand or make. Actually, I find that eBay is pretty good about showing multi-make "where used" info. If you know the Honda part number, and search for that part on eBay, any listing for the part will quite likely show all of the Honda cars that use the part (and in fact will let you do a double-check on whether the part is applicable to your own model, year, trim level, etc.) In some cases, you may also be able to see generic or equivalent part numbers for the part, as well as other brands/makes that use the same or equivalent part.

I remember one time I was looking for a fuel pressure regulator for a Volvo (which was made by Bosch, for Volvo). When I searched for the Volvo part number on eBay, the compatibility info showed that the Volvo part was the same as a Bosch-badged part, which in turn was used on multiple makes. And the Bosch part was cheaper than the Volvo-badged identical part....

In the case of struts, one way to figure out equivalency might be to go to an aftermarket strut maker's web site, and search for parts that fit your car, and then see if the same parts come up for other years, gens, etc. (If the web site doesn't tell you this already.) Of course, the same brute-force method can be used on Honda parts sites...
So here is what I was thinking... If the distance between the struts is only off by an inch or two between different models then it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate different threaded mounts that fit the 10th gen. I like toying with metal work. The main part of the strut brace is all I am checking for right now, as in the height between. Will it hit the hood or not... From what I've seen online some sit high some low with a curve. Im not trying to create some junky piece of crap. I spent good money for my car so I don't want to put junk on it that messes it up. Im confident in my skill to fabricate but I gotta do a little research to determine what I can use as a start base.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts