Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2010 Honda Accord Ex V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped my 2010 Accord V6 Cluster to the crosstour and i’m wondering if it reads the gas gauge with a fuller tank? My old cluster shows half a tank while the crosstour cluster reads almost a full tank… does anyone else have this problem?
Speedometer Vehicle Plant Odometer Trip computer

Speedometer Car Odometer Vehicle Trip computer

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
Normal. Due to the difference in the shape of the tank.

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
Yes,
Half tank is about 15.5 gallons consumed.
I drove the tank to almost empty for the first time in a very long time over Christmas (had 4 more gallons in a jerry can in the trunk, so I wasn't worried). The needle got very low, but the light didn;t come on even though I had less than 0.6 gallons left in the tank.

· Registered
2010 Honda Accord Ex V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,
Half tank is about 15.5 gallons consumed.
I drove the tank to almost empty for the first time in a very long time over Christmas (had 4 more gallons in a jerry can in the trunk, so I wasn't worried). The needle got very low, but the light didn;t come on even though I had less than 0.6 gallons left in the tank.
so basically i would have to refill up around the halfway mark?

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
Yeah. You should. I don't let it get past 1/2 tank unless I'm literally on my way to the gas station or I'm carrying a gas tank in the trunk.

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
Normal. Due to the difference in the shape of the tank.
I totally disagree, each tank has its own sending unit which send the same exact signal to the garage, basically what you’re saying is the guage since it’s not the one made for that tank is causing the incorrect measurements, I never had any problem using different gauges or even aftermarket gauges giving me different reading, it always was gave a good precise reading.

· Registered
2010 Honda Accord Ex V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally disagree, each tank has its own sending unit which send the same exact signal to the garage, basically what you’re saying is the guage since it’s not the one made for that tank is causing the incorrect measurements, I never had any problem using different gauges or even aftermarket gauges giving me different reading, it always was gave a good precise reading.
do you think there’s any way of fixing it?

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
The sending unit sends the same analog signal, but those signals are interpreted differently since at same height, the fuel quantity is different based on different fuel tank shapes.

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
If we ask nicely, maybe @Ang would be kind enough to swap the gauges between their Accord and Crosstour. The needle position would be different between the two clusters regardless of which car it is because of the difference in shape of the fuel tank.

Reactions: andrewtl96

· Registered
685 Posts
Shape of the tank shouldnt matter either, the Sensor reading The Capacity knows what 50% full in your accord is, so it should be sending 50% full to the gauge cluster? And the Tank in the crosstour is probably the same tank from the Accord Sedan. They are both 18.5gal. there is no reason why its not working right other than yours has a defect. you likely bought it off ebay from an accident vehicle? Maybe its damaged?

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,241 Posts
All the cluster gets is the position of the float in the gas tank. Not how full it is. It's up to the cluster to figure out what a given float position means.

I highly doubt both Hudouc and the OP just have bad clusters.

Reactions: Hudouc

· Registered
685 Posts
All the cluster gets is the position of the float in the gas tank. Not how full it is. It's up to the cluster to figure out what a given float position means.

I highly doubt both Hudouc and the OP just have bad clusters.
The float doesn't just tell the gague 25% or 50% and then the gague can display what 25% or 50% means? Either way both vehicles likely have the exact same tank, and they have the same tank size, so I'd think it would be the same.

· Registered
2010 Honda Accord Ex V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shape of the tank shouldnt matter either, the Sensor reading The Capacity knows what 50% full in your accord is, so it should be sending 50% full to the gauge cluster? And the Tank in the crosstour is probably the same tank from the Accord Sedan. They are both 18.5gal. there is no reason why its not working right other than yours has a defect. you likely bought it off ebay from an accident vehicle? Maybe its damaged?
i found the crosstour cluster in a junkyard from an accident vehicle, but i filled up my tank and now they both correctly display that the tank is full

· Registered
685 Posts
i found the crosstour cluster in a junkyard from an accident vehicle, but i filled up my tank and now they both correctly display that the tank is full
Well now you just have to see if it's accurate as it goes down.

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
The float on the fuel sending unit is a very simple needle swiping on an indexed plate with one wire attached to each. There's no controller, no digital signal, only an analog voltage signal. It's up to the cluster control module to determine what fuel level correspond to the what voltage.

The FWD might be very similar in shape, but the AWD is definitely different in shape to accommodate the driveshaft. I know I got mine off a AWD car, but a FWD cluster might actually read the right result.

· Registered
685 Posts
The float on the fuel sending unit is a very simple needle swiping on an indexed plate with one wire attached to each. There's no controller, no digital signal, only an analog voltage signal. It's up to the cluster control module to determine what fuel level correspond to the what voltage.

The FWD might be very similar in shape, but the AWD is definitely different in shape to accommodate the driveshaft. I know I got mine off a AWD car, but a FWD cluster might actually read the right result.
I mean its possible that the tank is different at the bottom, but The accords have a lot of exhaust stuff going through too. especially if honda had started to plan the Crosstour likely just before the accord came out in 2008 it would have been smart to adjust the part slightly to just be compatible with all versions of the vehicle. either way i guess that's the cost of swapping a Crosstour part, they are similar vehicles but they have differences.Especially the Facelift Crosstour which is still an 8th gen platform but has a 9th gen Motor, Transmission, Steering Wheel, Computers e.t.c. Crosstours are Rare and have extremely little aftermarket support

1 - 18 of 18 Posts