Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my sister's 04 i4 AT w/ 150K miles to work on thursday. On my way home there's a stretch of highway where i set the speed to 80, push the cruise button and it goes. however after about a minute the car decides it doesn't want to cruise anymore and if my foot's not on the pedal just stops maintaining speed.

Where do i even go about troubleshooting this issue?

I'll add that the car does have a check engine light on, but for a knock sensor that needs to be replaced and nothing else.

·
Elvira - the car
3,495 Posts
This is interesting.

Could a knock sensor cause the cruise control to turn off?

If the knock is bad enough or the bad sensor is falsely telling the ECU to retard the timing, it may also tell the ECU that there is an engine problem. The ECU probably doesn't want the engine to be in cruise and cause massive damage IF it decides the knock retards the timing TOO much. Detonation is not good and may mimic misfires although it may not set a misfire code.

Fix the knock sensor or find out why the code is occurring.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is interesting.

Could a knock sensor cause the cruise control to turn off?

If the knock is bad enough or the bad sensor is falsely telling the ECU to retard the timing, it may also tell the ECU that there is an engine problem. The ECU probably doesn't want the engine to be in cruise and cause massive damage IF it decides the knock retards the timing TOO much. Detonation is not good and may mimic misfires although it may not set a misfire code.

Fix the knock sensor or find out why the code is occurring.
I have a feeling they *could* be related. If she doesn't take it to the shop by then i'll do it later this summer. seems like a tough job since i also have to take off the IM and i don't have much space right now.

I just found this thread with my exact issues.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/32804-problems-cruise-control-2003-honda-accord-lx.html
Seems like i should check the brake pedal switch, but also inconclusive.

·
Elvira - the car
3,495 Posts
Yes it could be the brake switch except I would think if it were the brake switch you, or your sister, might also have trouble getting the car out of park occasionally. EDIT: nah if the brakes were occasionally "on" you still could get the car out of park without actually pressing the brake pedal.

Have the brake lights ever been on when the car is not running? This might just need to have an adjustment of the switch position.

But you're correct that the brake switch is easier to fix than the knock sensor.

·
Mike
842 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the brake switch in these vehicles usually has two switches inside the housing. One set of contacts is the brake switch, the other is for the cruise control. One set of contacts is normally closed, the other normally open.

The ECU uses BOTH for control of the Cruise system logic, however the brake lights and Auto interlock can be working perfectly, but the cruise section of the switch can still cause the cruise control to not engage or to disengage randomly.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing to keep in mind, the brake switch in these vehicles usually has two switches inside the housing. One set of contacts is the brake switch, the other is for the cruise control. One set of contacts is normally closed, the other normally open.

The ECU uses BOTH for control of the Cruise system logic, however the brake lights and Auto interlock can be working perfectly, but the cruise section of the switch can still cause the cruise control to not engage or to disengage randomly.
It's still the same part number though right?

·
Mike
842 Posts
It's still the same part number though right?
Yes, same part number.

BTW the brake switch in the Honda is normally adjustable, lot of people get caught after replacing the brake switch and find their cruise control does not engage, the switch positions must be adjusted correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts