Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn a full right to get out of the drive and let the wheel turn back to normal, during the last 25% of a turn back, there's a crunchy sound coming from the left side I believe. It sounds like a rusty bearing/joint that doesn't have grease to move freely. Maybe a control arm too?

The noise happens at low turning speeds, and maybe only 30 percent of the time.

I haven't taken the wheel or axle out yet. Just wondering if someone had a similar experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I had a metal scraping sound during low speed right turn, turned out to be the brake dust shield scraping against the brake rotor. It got bent when I did my last brake job. I just bent it back out.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Trying running the car on jack-stands and turning lock to lock. You might be able to pinpoint it.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took the wheels off tonight and also did what was mentioned above. Took it for a spin, same thing. I can feel the noise, crunch in my pedal and steering wheel. Not too bad but I can feel it. It feels like the serpentine belt is slipping. The arrow on the tensioner is to the right, which means it needs to be changed. My tensioner pulley is also shaking. I guess I'll take care of these two cheap, fixes since they need to be fixed, and see what we get.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also experience this on my 06 l4 exl...seems like the car is straining especially noticable when backing out and turning the wheel almost the full way round. My PS fluid is clean and full and doesn't appear to be leaking or otherwise. I'm interested to see if your fix helps...I'm not wanting to unnessicarily change the tensioner though. thanks for sharing!

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also experience this on my 06 l4 exl...seems like the car is straining especially noticable when backing out and turning the wheel almost the full way round. My PS fluid is clean and full and doesn't appear to be leaking or otherwise. I'm interested to see if your fix helps...I'm not wanting to unnessicarily change the tensioner though. thanks for sharing!
Let me know if you fix it before me and what you did. I'll do it within a month or so maybe.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got it fixed. My serpentine belt was too loose. After replacing it, the problem went away.

(I've never replaced the belt until now. :|)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I replaced my belt but the problem still persists. The indicator is still to the right of the mark. I'm gonna look into tensioner pulley and see if it could be the issue

·
Registered
138 Posts
It turns out that my air intake breather tube was cracked and was causing my issue. It was sucking in air after the MAF sensor and causing it to get too lean...dropping RPMs low when idle or on the low end

·
Don't drink and drive
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sucked it up and paid the dealer for a diagnostic while I was in getting recall service done on the airbag inflator.
I bet that sucked, money out of your pocket? They charged you what, $100?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts