Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing a lot of research about installing a double din head unit in my Accord and have come across various threads with different projects. I definitely don't like any of the kits (including the new Metra, which I think looks cheap). I've seen some folks cut out a a double din slot in the original bezel, which is the route I'm thinking about going.

I'm going to let a shop do this since I have no experience and will ultimately end up screwing it up. There is a guy who does nice custom bezels. He quoted me $250, but that's for the bezel only. I'll go to a shop this week and see what they say.

I'd like to make this look as stock as possible. Even with a custom bezel, I will still be left with the huge power/volume knob. Does anyone know if this can be wired into an aftermarket head unit? If not, could it be wired into another Honda head unit (I was looking at one of the current gen Civic nav systems)?

After reading several reviews, it seems like the aftermarket Nav systems aren't that great. I've found some older threads on this but a lot of images have been removed. I'd appreciate any advice, diagrams, pictures that would aid me. FYI I have an 03 Accord Coupe with single zone climate control.

Thanks!

·
3rd Gear Roll
23 Posts
I s thinking about going the same route. I'd do it myself and hope I don't screw up lol. I'd still want to keep the factory wheel controls but I'm not sure if that's possible... I want to keep the storage bin and I the metra kit is way over priced so DIY it is

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
674 Posts
I attempted this a long time ago. its possible. Just a lot of work. Take a lot of pictures along the way. Good Luck can't wait to see finish product. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I s thinking about going the same route. I'd do it myself and hope I don't screw up lol. I'd still want to keep the factory wheel controls but I'm not sure if that's possible... I want to keep the storage bin and I the metra kit is way over priced so DIY it is
The Metra kit just looks cheap. I've heard the temp controls are not backlit, so trying to turn on your defog at night is a major pain.

I'll let you know what my local shop says. I just dont know what to do with the power/volume knob, as it will probably be useless after the install.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I attempted this a long time ago. its possible. Just a lot of work. Take a lot of pictures along the way. Good Luck can't wait to see finish product. :)
Did you take any pics?

·
Mike
779 Posts
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52891&highlight=replace+HVAC

This may give you some idea of the way the HVAC is tied to the Radio electronics.

You can relocate just the HVAC board but you loose temperature and HVAC mode display. You can get it back via a custom electronic interface.

As you can see, the radio, LCD display and HVAC are electronically and functionally tied together in the Gen 7.

·
3rd Gear Roll
23 Posts
I just dont know what to do with the power/volume knob, as it will probably be useless after the install.
id find a way to wire it in, if i took apart an old headunit i could figure it out no problem. then just splice in the controls. i imagine the vol has some wire some where, but the power would be difficult because it probobly contacts the board without wires.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52891&highlight=replace+HVAC

This may give you some idea of the way the HVAC is tied to the Radio electronics.

You can relocate just the HVAC board but you loose temperature and HVAC mode display. You can get it back via a custom electronic interface.

As you can see, the radio, LCD display and HVAC are electronically and functionally tied together in the Gen 7.
He has an LX with single zone climate. So there is no temperature or HVAC mode display in the first place.

OP, I've seen many custom fixtures like you're talking about. Pretty sure I've seen a few guys on here that have done it themselves. If you don't know much though definitely get a professional to do the setup for you.

But I also want to throw out that I personally went with the lower pocket double din and am very pleased. Much cheaper than the route you're trying to go. Plus it keeps my factory radio intact. js

·
Mike
779 Posts
He has an LX with single zone climate. So there is no temperature or HVAC mode display in the first place.

OP, I've seen many custom fixtures like you're talking about. Pretty sure I've seen a few guys on here that have done it themselves. If you don't know much though definitely get a professional to do the setup for you.

But I also want to throw out that I personally went with the lower pocket double din and am very pleased. Much cheaper than the route you're trying to go. Plus it keeps my factory radio intact. js
The HVAC single zone system still has the HVAC controller integrated into the button controls and radio display board (the BIG board the radio plugs into).

In a single zone unit it would be far easier to relocate and it "might" work without the Radio to power it as power for some of the HVAC section comes via the HVAC plug. It would be easy to unplug the radio and see if the Air con still works.

Volume control is soldered directly to the board. It may be a rotary encoder and not a simple rotary control, can't remember though.

If you use the existing board all HVAC controls would have to wired back to this relocated board. No matter how you do it, you still need a HVAC controller like the small one added to the Metra kit or the existing HVAC/Radio display board.

I have seen this single zone board relocated by one or two people, still a lot of work and you need good soldering skills and some electronic knowledge so as not to destroy the board in the process.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Buy the honda audio attachment kit and put it in the double din cubby and transfer the audio to that. All upper controls and LCD will still work for heat ac etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts