Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, started the fabrication for the iPad mini I am installing in my lower dash. Heres the pics from today's progress:

First i created a cardboard template of the lower dash area in my car where i'm going to install the iPad

Then I transferred the template onto a sheet of 1/8 ABS plastic and cut it out. Pictured with the iPad so you can get an idea of how it will sit

Heres a few pics of the test fit of the piece in the car:

Got in the iPad float mount kit from SoundmanCA and my Grom BT3 bluetooth interface

Next step was to cut a hole out of the ABS panel i fabricated and fit the float mount in. I also had to trim the float mount pan itself in order to make it fit. Once it was all fit together, i bonded the two pieces together using plastic epoxy

Once it dried, it was ready to get installed in the car. There are two tiny spots in the corners where you can tell that this is two separate pieces, but it looks very clean and im going to leave it as-is

Here's the finished product: I just need to install a piece of suede behind the iPad so it doesnt get scratched, but that's about it.

Lastly, here's a video i made showing how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMNuH1A5Ns

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice work on this. I had to check the dimensions of my nexus 7 but it looks like it might work as well.. gives me something to think about. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
VERY NICE, I am always impressed by peoples custom work.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks great. I really want to do this by relocating the small screen down there and installing a tablet to the upper dash.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
VERY NICE, I am always impressed by peoples custom work.
In honor of recently reaching 10k I was going to do a tour-of-my-car post, and I'll be amazed if you're impressed by my "custom" work :)

@OP, it does look good, but the placement is a bit dangerous in terms of eyes being completely off the road.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In honor of recently reaching 10k I was going to do a tour-of-my-car post, and I'll be amazed if you're impressed by my "custom" work :)

@OP, it does look good, but the placement is a bit dangerous in terms of eyes being completely off the road.

I would gladly take a look, hope to see a thread pop up before too long!

·
Registered
213 Posts
looks really cool, good work. my only qualm is that it's sooo far down that i feel like using it for GPS would be a little dangerous lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts