Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been countless people straight up bashing the new CVT. This thread is not going to do that. Id like to hear from Sport CVT owners. 99% of the time, I leave it in D, Econ Mode. But, I have to say, turn off Econ Mode, drop it into sport mode, and use the paddle shifters to keep the engine in the power band and it's a totally different car. It's flat out FUN. Having a pretty quick GSR in the past, I definitely would had preferred purchasing a 6 speed. But with 2 little kids and a wife who doesn't drive, or want to learn to drive, stick, the CVT made more sense. That being said, Honda dialed in this drivetrain to keep it a driver's car, when called upon.

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
I'd have to agree with you on all counts. I usually leave mine in D and econ as well. Today, I wanted to scoot around a little so I turned off econ and traction control also... I usually don't turn off traction control. I had just a hint of wheel spin with it off while mashing the throttle, so I don't think it makes things any more exciting with TC off.

I don't usually mess with the paddles but I have a few times when I wanted engine braking around a curve or to keep the engine in a higher rev range to keep things closer to the power band.

I usually don't leave it in 'sport' paddle mode often. In fact, not for more than a few minutes usually. I think in the back of my head I'm thinking 'It's a CVT, don't stress it too much.' I think the 'stepped' simulated gears would wear it out more than it would normally do so. It gives that 'herkey-jerkey' feeling that I subliminally think will cause more stress on the tranny. I have no proof of that, and I'm sure I'm probably wrong about it, but that's what's running through my head, so I just don't do it very often.

I would have purchased the 6-speed if my wife could drive one. I'm sure that's a bit more satisfying.

TomZ

·
'13 Accord Sport
264 Posts
For normal driving, D is sufficient, although if you need extra oomph, double tap the accelerator and it will get into higher rpm range than usual. For real speed, for example, doing 50 mph on the second fastest lane and needing to change into the fastest lane full of cars at 70 mph, throw it into s and give 80% throttle... usually gets you to speed as quickly as you would ever need it to be.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I also really like the I4 and the CVT transmission. I also normally keep it in D and turn the Econ mode off and on with each respective tank of gas to see if it really makes an appreciable difference in milage. Once I have a few tankfuls to make an informed decision I will decide to either leave it on or off. The transmission has not given me any issues at all. It works perfectly and is as smooth as a baby's rear end.

You don't have to go to the S mode to use the paddles. When you use them to down shift to get better acceleration or to use the engine for braking the car automatically goes into the S mode and will display the sudo gear you are selecting in the center of the speedometer. I haven't used them very much but the other day I down shifted using the paddle to accelerate onto a freeway and the car accelerated very briskly. Personally, I think the I4 with the CVT has more than enough power yet delivers great gas mileage.

Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual on using the paddle shifter in D and in S mode:

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Might be good to have a warranty package so you can drive the car like you want without exposure to big repairs.
Already had the CVT Transmission fluid changed and checked. Everything is good to go! I'm already at 30,000 miles and the warranty would only last so long with how much I drive.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Already had the CVT Transmission fluid changed and checked. Everything is good to go! I'm already at 30,000 miles and the warranty would only last so long with how much I drive.
As much as you drive an extended warrantee might make sense.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the 6 yr/80k Hondacare warranty because I've never owned a CVT before. But if all I have to do is follow Honda's recommended maintenance, I'm super happy with the decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am still trying to figure out what is the best way for a sudden accelerate when you are cruising at the 30-60 mph speed range.

I came from a 07 accord. For a 5 AT, a slight harder push will make it back down 2 gear and increase the rpm. But for this CVT on D mode, i have to really floor it to make it back down 2 gear. So far, i find double click on the down shift paddle is the best way to do it?

I have to say this I4 after 3000 rpm is definitely a beast.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't have any statistics about how many owners are or have had issues with the CVT. I can sympathize with those owners who have had issues and I hope that Honda has addressed their problem and fixed their cars. Since this forum is an Accord website it would be one of the first places to turn to for information concerning transmission problems. If I was having issues I too would be loudly complaining which may skew our perception of the number of Accords with problem CVT transmissions.

My car only has a little less than 3000 miles and my car drives flawlessly. The I4 drive train is terrific because the engine is always running at an RPM where there is usable torque and the transmission smoothly allows the car to accelerate without any fuss. I have driven manual transmission cars for 30 years and loved manually shifting my 81 Accord and 88 Prelude. However, for every day driving this automatic has shown me the future and it's CVT all the way, especially with the paddle shifters for fun. When and if I can afford to have a two seat drop top like the S2000 to run around in on the weekends I will go back to a standard transmission, otherwise I like the CVT.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd have to agree with you on all counts. I usually leave mine in D and econ as well. Today, I wanted to scoot around a little so I turned off econ and traction control also... I usually don't turn off traction control. I had just a hint of wheel spin with it off while mashing the throttle, so I don't think it makes things any more exciting with TC off.

TomZ

I feel with TC off the throttle is more responsive and climbs quicker from 1500-3k rpm. I was only able to get wheel spin with TC off (guess that's TC doing its thing).

·
Registered
164 Posts
i drive with it mostly in D as well with occasionally econ on but let get real here it makes the car feel like a wuss and sluggish

·
Registered
39 Posts
I drive in it D no ECON, as I feel the car feels sluggish in ECON. I also throw it in SPORT mode when I need that extra passing and merging power. Boy does it take off.

Also getting around 32-33 mpg.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts