Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just noticed that at lower speeds (45 at least and lower), when I let off the gas to coast/ slow down slightly... the transmission downshifts. I can feel the shift of momentum from lower motor RPM and see the tack increase slightly. I really don't ever recall feeling this before.

I recently had my 4th CVT fluid drain and fill. I have had them done at the dealer as the cost vs price of fluid doesn't warrant me getting dirty. A few days after the fluid change, I replaced the valve cover assembly that was leaking a second time (the first repair was gasket only, now the entire cover was replaced by me).

I can't say the change in transmission behavior was before I replaced the valve cover for sure, I may not have noticed it after the CVT service. I have went over the connectors that I removed to replace the valve cover again and don't see anything unplugged. I have no CEL set off either.

Any ideas of what may be happening is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
I have just noticed that at lower speeds (45 at least and lower), when I let off the gas to coast/ slow down slightly... the transmission downshifts. I can feel the shift of momentum from lower motor RPM and see the tack increase slightly. I really don't ever recall feeling this before.

I recently had my 4th CVT fluid drain and fill. I have had them done at the dealer as the cost vs price of fluid doesn't warrant me getting dirty. A few days after the fluid change, I replaced the valve cover assembly that was leaking a second time (the first repair was gasket only, now the entire cover was replaced by me).

I can't say the change in transmission behavior was before I replaced the valve cover for sure, I may not have noticed it after the CVT service. I have went over the connectors that I removed to replace the valve cover again and don't see anything unplugged. I have no CEL set off either.

Any ideas of what may be happening is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Based on what you have said I would take it back to the place where you had your car serviced and let them know there is something wrong but do not mention what work you have done and go from there. Also if you replaced the gasket and valve cover correctly there shouldn’t be any issues. Good luck

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on what you have said I would take it back to the place where you had your car serviced and let them know there is something wrong but do not mention what work you have done and go from there. Also if you replaced the gasket and valve cover correctly there shouldn’t be any issues. Good luck
So, I took it back to my dealership. They test drove it and ran diagnostics. They observed a misfire on cylinder 1. They found what I had found when replacing my valve cover... oil on cylinder 1 plug valley. I had seen that when pulling that coil out as the plug tube seal was leaking. I cleaned what I could with paper towel down into the hole without removing the plug. The dealer removed all plugs and cleaned them, I was advised, reset the ECU of the data and for the crank sensor (what the service manager said should be done when replacing plugs). I left and at first thought it was good. Just to realize it was still doing it. I called the dealership back up to advise the SM that it was still going on. He said the ECu may take time to learn and settle along with advising me his service tech said this was somewhat of a behavior of the CVT. I just don't ever recall it feeling this way.

I will visit my son next week with a 2016 Civic EX-T, CVT equipped. I will drive it and see if it behaves the same way. If so, I have wasted a lot of mine and others time.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts,
Mike

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update..

The problem is still there.

But, I realize another issue which is my idle. In park, I am just above 1100RPM’s. In gear, I am at 1000RPM. That is definitely wrong and hopefully may help me figure out what is going on.
I am going to look deeper at my steps for the valve cover replacement to see if I left something disconnected. The funny thing is no codes are coming up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the cause of this.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts