Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Accord just turned over to 10,000 miles. I just checked the color of the CVT fluid and it seems that it's very dirty. It seems odd that I might need to change the fluid with so little miles. My last car (2006 Impala) I did the first change at 75,000 miles. I attached a picture of the fluid color. Any ideas.

Attachments

·
Banned
784 Posts
My 2013 Accord just turned over to 10,000 miles. I just checked the color of the CVT fluid and it seems that it's very dirty. It seems odd that I might need to change the fluid with so little miles. My last car (2006 Impala) I did the first change at 75,000 miles. I attached a picture of the fluid color. Any ideas.
Just consider yourself smart for checking and changing the CVT fluid. I do not trust the MM for CVT fluid change. If you don't mind sending it our for an UOA that would be great for everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up to this point I have to had any trouble with the transmission. I don't want to wait till I have one. As far as I know this could be normal, I don't know what fresh CVT fluid looks like. I guess it does not hurt to call the dealership, the place I bought it from does not seem to be crooks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My CVT fluid is still fairly clear with only a light amber-ish hue at almost 10k miles. I'd definitely do a drain & refill, or maybe two. You could try your luck bringing it to the dealer, but most likely they are just gonna use the "normal maintenance" bit, as a few other users have reported.

Here's a pic:

·
Banned
784 Posts
I guess it does not hurt to call the dealership, the place I bought it from does not seem to be crooks.
Majority of Honda dealers and mechanics are not crooks. They are in business to make money but also to service your car. They have to pay bills just like all of us.

New CVT color is golden honey color but smells bad. Calling the dealer will do you no good since your CVT is working fine. They can't fix something that is not broken. I change my Odyssey transmission fluid every 15K (every two oil changes) because it gets dark. No transmission issue thus far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is not a big deal for me to change the fluid, I change my wife Odyssey every 8,000 miles since I pull a fishing boat with it. I have yet to have any problems with it. I was going to ask the dealership if they thought it needed to be changed. Most of my driving is city, I don't do much highway travel.

·
Banned
784 Posts
My CVT fluid is still fairly clear with only a light amber-ish hue at almost 10k miles. I'd definitely do a drain & refill, or maybe two. You could try your luck bringing it to the dealer, but most likely they are just gonna use the "normal maintenance" bit, as a few other users have reported.
Here's a pic:
My CVT fluid color was light on a stick but it might be just as dark as the OP's if I were to drain it out. I did not have a dedicated oil drain pan for the CVT fluid so I could not comment on the fluid color as a bulk. So I made the right call when I changed it around 23K miles.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
it will look dark as seen in a tube like that, on a stick it will be lighter. it is darker than the first gen cvt fluid when new. the new cvt fluid is more on the brown side to start out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing a google search I was able to find a PIC of new CVT fluid and HondaTech is correct. I don't feel so bad now, but I don't think it would hurt to do a drain and fill anyway. Looks like stuff is only about $8.00 a quart. Now I get an excuse to use my new 60,000 BTU propane heater, this is the first winter I have a heated garage. From what I read Honda is unrealistic on the drain and fill, in fact GM is the same way. All the GM cars I have owed stated a 100,000 miles to never on transmission flushes. I would be willing to be half of all transmission failures happen do to improper maintenance.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I know in a larger quantity, my fluid would also appear darker. I don't think the darker fluid is indicative of an issue though. I've made a "dipstick" and checked the color of my fluid several times and the latest color looks almost exactly the same as the first time I checked it. Just slightly amber-colored on the "stick" and when wiped on a white paper towel. I plan on keeping an eye on the color and change it earlier than the MM recommends if it gets significantly darker.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
You can't judge a lubricants ability to perform based on color alone.

:headbash:

Spend $20 to have an analysis done to see what the real condition of the fluid is.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
To have an analysis done would prove what? My assumption is CVT fluid is not engine oil and would have completely different properties, in order to analyze this fluid you would need to know measures indicate an issue or what indicates the fluid is worn out. Unless there is already a base line and what parameters are good or bad I am not sure an analysis would prove anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
To have an analysis done would prove what? My assumption is CVT fluid is not engine oil and would have completely different properties, in order to analyze this fluid you would need to know measures indicate an issue or what indicates the fluid is worn out. Unless there is already a base line and what parameters are good or bad I am not sure an analysis would prove anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blackstone is very experienced in this area. They most likely have a clean sample baseline already. Worst case scenario is you send a clean baseline sample into be analyzed.

Jay

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm just wondering if perhaps fluid cleanliness is not as critical to the "shifting" of this transmission as with a normal AT. I mean, I really have no idea how it works. I guess it has 2 split, variable diameter pulleys with a belt around them, right? Gotta have a torque converter too. Also some kind of valve body because that was involved with the TSB. Sure would be nice if a service manual was available to OWN.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts