Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2014, CVT is the only automatic option for Civics. If you like the V6-6AT combination, 2014/2015 could be the last year. Motortrend.com said Civic's CVT is the best on the road. I know there are a lot of CVT haters (I don't need to mention by name), but Honda will get this right and offer the best fuel combination and reliability. So enjoy or buy 6AT while you can before it is too late. Sorry my CVT has not blown up yet and functioning very well for those people who are so happy that they did buy 6AT and not CVT.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I agree that the CVT is the transmission of the future. Mine has operated flawlessly. I sympathize with owners who have had issues such as judder but Honda will do the right thing and fix the problems it just takes perseverance. I think the manual transmission may also be an endangered species except in sports cars. The cost of building manual transmissions and clutches for less than 10% of a model doesn't make economic sense. The three pedal manual will be replaced paddle shift CVTs. The Gen X kids aren't buying new cars especially ones with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Historically speaking (at least for Subaru), CVTs were reserved for the lower powered engines (4 cyl N/A engines specifically). The turbo 4 cyl and 6 cyl engines received the traditional automatic trannys. With the announcement of the next generation 2015 WRX, the automatic transmissions for that car will be CVT (268 HP). This shows that the newer generation CVTs will be able to handle extra power where they weren't able to before.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
The cost of building manual transmissions and clutches for less than 10% of a model doesn't make economic sense.
True, but remember that the vast majority of cars in Europe are still manual transmissions, and that cars "share" components across continents. So the manual trans market may only be 10% here, but can be 75% of the Euro market if you are talking about a "world car" like the Focus.

Still, you are right about the future....

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Historically speaking (at least for Subaru), CVTs were reserved for the lower powered engines (4 cyl N/A engines specifically). The turbo 4 cyl and 6 cyl engines received the traditional automatic trannys. With the announcement of the next generation 2015 WRX, the automatic transmissions for that car will be CVT (268 HP). This shows that the newer generation CVTs will be able to handle extra power where they weren't able to before.
Nissian has a few V6 CVT's, including the Altima and Pathfinder. When I saw that I realized that the future is near. I believe it will be a while before preformance cars have CVT's. Their efficiency is much lower compared to a traditional automatic so naturally they are slower 0-60.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
True, but remember that the vast majority of cars in Europe are still manual transmissions, and that cars "share" components across continents. So the manual trans market may only be 10% here, but can be 75% of the Euro market if you are talking about a "world car" like the Focus.

Still, you are right about the future....
The only reason that is true in Europe is the high price of fuel both gasoline and diesel. Manual transmissions get better mileage than traditional automatic transmissions but CVTs narrow the gap in gas mileage and will change the game in Europe. I don't think Europeans buy manual transmissions for the fun of it but for economics. With CVTs and new engins they will drop manuals like a hot potato. :yes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
subaru has the CVT in a 296 hp and 295 lb-ft Legacy 2.0GT mid last year. only in Japan though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had a CVT on a V6 (Nissan Murano) and it was the worst nightmare of my life, but now with my Accord I4 it's running flawlessly like a champion :))

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
48 Posts
a subaru wrx with CVT? oh what has this world come down to? what a way to ruin a car I dont think anyone will buy a WRX in CVT. that car is meant to switch gears, even if it has paddle shifters its not the same as a genuine automatic tranny. The WRX sales will certainly drop

·
Registered
227 Posts
CVTs are very efficient at delivering maximum fuel economy, there is no real debate about that. :thmsup:

I am pleasantly surprised that many Accord owners are having good luck with the CVTs. :yes:

Honda does build the best machinery. Maybe they have overcome the problems that plague many other manufacturers with their CVTs. :dunno:

I think it is important to change the fluid very frequently with this type of transmission. :)

Hopefully they will provide a long service life. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think it is important to change the fluid very frequently with this type of transmission. :)

Hopefully they will provide a long service life. :biggrin:
Why would one want to change the transmission fluid on a CVT more often than what is recommended by the MM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mind cvt transmissions as the power delivery they provide is more accessible than a conventional automatic. It really gets the most out of the engine, eliminating any need to rev up the engine to high rpms under normal driving. However, historically speaking they have been very unreliable. Honda has been using cvt tranny on the Civic for at least 3 generations so far and each generation has been very problematic. Nissan and Ford have been using the cvt for many years and they still have serious reliability issues. The only variation of cvt that appears to be reliable are the ecvt transmissions on some hybrids but that's a different animal and it can't be compared with the belt driven conventional cvts found in our cars. Given how long they've been on the market and the reliability aspect has not been addressed successfully makes me wonder if it's inherently flawed with little room for improvement. I hope I'm wrong and my 13 Accord serves me well but I've had my share of issues with other vehicles equipped with cvt.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't mind cvt transmissions as the power delivery they provide is more accessible than a conventional automatic. It really gets the most out of the engine, eliminating any need to rev up the engine to high rpms under normal driving. However, historically speaking they have been very unreliable. Honda has been using cvt tranny on the Civic for at least 3 generations so far and each generation has been very problematic. Nissan and Ford have been using the cvt for many years and they still have serious reliability issues. The only variation of cvt that appears to be reliable are the ecvt transmissions on some hybrids but that's a different animal and it can't be compared with the belt driven conventional cvts found in our cars. Given how long they've been on the market and the reliability aspect has not been addressed successfully makes me wonder if it's inherently flawed with little room for improvement. I hope I'm wrong and my 13 Accord serves me well but I've had my share of issues with other vehicles equipped with cvt.
Where are you getting your data from? As you stated Honda has been using CVT transmissions since the early 2000s. Reading car forum posts is not a very scientific method of evaluating the reliability of cars. Owners who are having problems will post seeking help or to just complain but the majority of happy owners don't even know these forums exist. No one can vouch for the longevity of the transmissions in the 9th generation Accords because the cars have only been around for a year. Are we Honda's test subjects? I doubt that because if the transmission becomes problematic Honda will offer an extended replacement warrantee up to 100,000 miles as they did on the automatic transmissions in the 6th generation Accords. My 2000 V6 transmission was replaced at 93,000 miles in 2007. A friend of mine had a 2000 Accord V6 with about the same amount of miles and his was never replaced and ran just fine. If not, then some owner who is an attorney will bring a class action lawsuit against Honda.:thmsup:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I will hold on to my Three Pedal with a death grip, thank you.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I will hold on to my Three Pedal with a death grip, thank you.

Jay
You may have to because I think this will be the last generation of Honda building manual transmissions in the Accord. You might have to trade for a sports car or for the Civic SI, if they even will offer a manual, or just keep your current Accord forever.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
You may have to because I think this will be the last generation of Honda building manual transmissions in the Accord. You might have to trade for a sports car to get a manual or just keep this one forever.
Right now the plan is the latter.

Jay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda has been using cvts since the late 90s. A 97 Civic hx came equipped with a cvt and I'm not positive that is the first year they released it. So yes it's been around. As far as the reliability claims, they come from an individual who owns two repair facilities :)

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
I'm happy with the CVT in my Accord Sport because at many times during normal driving I don't even feel the CVT. It feels very traditional at times. I think Honda got it right with this one. Of course when your nail the throttle it will hold revs like a CVT should, but the 'rubber bandy' effect most people associate with CVTs (courtesy of Nissan) is not there.

But jump into a Nissan and you get the rubber bandy effect/feeling when you drive normally which is what turns most people off from CVTs. The only thing I liked about Nissan CVTs is that it responds much quicker to throttle input in changing ratios.

The one thing Honda could improve with the CVT though is when the transmission is in 'S' manual mode, the gearing should be at set ratios rather than still moving around a bit which can be annoying when you want full control.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Honda has been using cvts since the late 90s. A 97 Civic hx came equipped with a cvt and I'm not positive that is the first year they released it. So yes it's been around. As far as the reliability claims, they come from an individual who owns two repair facilities :)
In the scientific world that's called anecdotal evidence. Which means it's not really evidence. Two shops and how many CVT transmissions has he repaired or replaced since the late 90s? Maybe ten cars? As of October 2013, Honda has sold 278,000 Accords in 2013 and maybe 100,000 in 2012. Most of those cars probably are I4 engines with the CVT transmission. If ten percent of them were having CVT problems the automotive press would have known as well as everyone here and Honda would have issued a huge and highly publicized recall.

Honda has installed them in the Fit/Jazz since the late 90s outside of the North American market and how many of them have failed? Another way to think about the CVT is that Honda has perfected the transmission in the last 17 years and would not be betting the transmission's reliability on their flagship model in North America unless they felt sure that the technology was ready for prime time.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed my CVT fluid at 23K miles and am planning to change it out when the car has 50K miles. I was happy that the fluid color was very clean/clear like the new fluid. The fluid change is not that hard - just replace what you take out (3.7 US qts). $40 for 4 qts of oil every 25K-30K miles, it is not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts