Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first time poster and long time Honda owner here. I love my 2013 Accord EX-L 4 cylinder, but I'm noticing a few issues with it.

The CVT is fairly rough at low speeds. When slowing down to a stop it is noticeably jerky, and the whole car seems to lurch a few times as the transmission adjusts.

Further, the steering wheel is rattling, and the airbag cover seems loose.

Now, I know that both of these issues are covered in technical service bulletins, but my car does not fall in the VIN range for either TSB 13-029 (Horn Sounds By Itself; Driver’s Airbag Rattles) or TSB 13-053 (Surge, Hesitation, or Judder on Light Acceleration from a Stop). My VIN is 1HGCR2F84DA160xxx.

Does anyone have any experience with the issued described in these bulletins on cars that don't fall within the range? I'm assuming my car has the updated parts for both bulletins, and I'm wondering what the dealer will have to say about this (I have an appointment on Friday).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have no idea what they will say or do, but still bring it to their attention. I don't know about the horn sounding by itself but it may be tied into the driver's airbag rattling. You should ask your service advisor to drive the car with you to have him or her experience the problems you describe. If they don't offer you a solution that meets your expectations then call Honda Customer service, the number is in your warrantee booklet and open a case. Honda Customer Service can offer you curtsey repairs even if the car is not included in the TSB VIN number range or even when the car is out of warrantee.

Since you are a long time Honda owner hope you have established a relationship with a dealer and with a service advisor. It doesn't hurt to deal with people with whom you have worked with in the past and who know you.

Luckily my car doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms that you and others have described with the CVT and my car does fall within the VIN numbers that TSB 13-53 covers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My car was within the range and experienced the judder. It was bad. Sometimes during a slowdown it would actually jerk my head forward. A couple times some motion sickness would happen (and I dont get motion sickness on rollercoasters, boats, etc.). I took it and got the TSB on the trannny done. It drives like a new car now.

My advice is take it anyway to get the TSB done even though you are out of the VIN.

·
AccordCoupe'13
130 Posts
I have that CVT tranny problem with described symtoms, but Honda Canada here doesn't do shit. The dealer is not aware of the problem and simply say they need to keep the car and test it. Why the #$%#$& is Honda Canada not able to work properly and send out the US TSB to their dealers so they can simply fix my car... my last honda ever

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have that CVT tranny problem with described symtoms, but Honda Canada here don't do shit. The dealer is not aware of the problem and simply say they need to keep the car and test it. Why the #$%#$& is Honda Canada not able to work properly and send out the US TSB to their dealers so they can simply fix my car... my last honda ever
LoL, chill out man, it's a car. it's a first year full model change. wait patiently for their fix or...well, nevermind, just trade it in and get a kia.

·
Banned
784 Posts
LoL, chill out man, it's a car. it's a first year full model change. wait patiently for their fix or...well, nevermind, just trade it in and get a kia.
I hate to say this but the CVT will not be fully robust until Gen 10 Accord. The transmission problems in Gen 2 Odyssey did not get resolved until Gen 3 Odyssey. Honda offered great service and replacement program on Gen 2 Odyssey so I am hoping they do the same if Gen 9 CVT becomes problematic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts