Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sporting
3 Posts
My 2013 Accord Sport has had an issue accelerating between 20 and 40mph that causes the CVT transmission to shimmy judder or surge. Those words describe a feeling of back and forward hesitation in the drive train. Honda, after many telling stories that this was normal operation... told.me there was a software update. It was performed under warranty. It did not fix the issue. After another trip or two and getting into an arguement with my service manager, I was finally told about SERVICE BULLETIN 13-053 which provides a corrective action of a 6-7 hour repair involving replacement of an updated transmission valve body kit and update to PGM-FI software. We will see if this is a solution. Car goes in this morning.

I forgot to tell you guys the vehicles affected in this bulletin, all 2013 accords L4 with VINS begining JHM and 1HG. Numerous 2014 models I believe that are L4 motor and tyranny. 2 door and 4 door models listed by qualifying VINS. See bulletin

·
Plot Twist
68 Posts
Let us know what comes of it. I call it rubberbanding when my car does it! :p

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,211 Posts
My 14EX i4 cvt has the same problem, no fix. they even said, my vin is not included in the TSB.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The TSB applies to all cvt accords. I'm taking mine to the dealer next Friday to take care of 3 TSBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
140 Posts
My 14EX i4 cvt has the same problem, no fix. they even said, my vin is not included in the TSB.
I contacted Honda Customer Svc via twitter(@HondaCustSvc. I think they are on this site too.) Long story short, they helped me get warranty repair on my post-warranty Civic. My car was not included in a campaign recall, but Honda fixed it for free anyway. You might want to contact them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just came across this thread. I bought my '13 accord sport used a few months ago (92k miles) I noticed the cvt is jerky under acceleration sometimes and would bringing it into Honda now be beneficial at all since this bulletin was from 2 years ago?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I just came across this thread. I bought my '13 accord sport used a few months ago (92k miles) I noticed the cvt is jerky under acceleration sometimes and would bringing it into Honda now be beneficial at all since this bulletin was from 2 years ago?
60K power train warranty, you can try for a goodwill repair or software update but don't expect much since it was a TSB & not a recall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does this bulletin still cover my accord as it has only 37k miles and is a 2013 I am the original owner, will honda do this update for free or is it a repair/update that has to be paid for.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Does this bulletin still cover my accord as it has only 37k miles and is a 2013 I am the original owner, will honda do this update for free or is it a repair/update that has to be paid for.
Take the car in right away, the power train warranty is 5 yrs. / 60K, you may be borderline depending on month your car was made. Good luck.

·
trt1969
19 Posts
I see this is an old post so hopefully I get some replies. I have an '13 coupe with ~125k miles and the transmission is starting to display some of rubber banding effect described here. It does it under partial load at speed. I am due for a fluid change, which I am hoping will take care of it but I am doubtful. Given the age and miles I know they won't cover the TSB and it is not worth installing a new transmission, but it is still a very clean nice looking car that I would like to keep for my daughter. There are plenty of low mileage CVT's in the scrap yard, is it an extremely hard job to replace this transmission? Has anyone had a mechanic replace one and what did it cost? Any replies would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Call around & ask, trans. shops, indy places. Read up on their reviews. Do 3 d/f's over a couple months, find a good indy shop that will charge for labor only (you bring Fluid).

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
How about ordering the kit and doing the mechanical part yourself and get a Dealership to upgrade the code?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Accord LX CVT 4 cylinder
3 Posts
If it works okay perhaps just drive it in "sport" mode as a temporary fix.
I had dealer fix under warranty and several years later it leaked from bottom gasket. I am now having another issue with it related to that repair, but I am not trying to hijack the thread so back to your question.
My answer is maybe its better to leave it alone and just drive in sport.

·
trt1969
19 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It started acting up badly on my way home from NY today and actually went into limp mode and threw some codes. The codes were all for misfires (cyl. 3 and 4) so maybe it is not transmission related. It is fine until I really get on it. I replaced the plugs about 15k ago with OEM’s. Could it be coils? It idles fine.

·
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.
60 Posts
Where did you buy the OEM Plugs from. eBay and Amazon both have a lot of counterfeit plugs being sold in OEM boxes and represented as OEM. If the price you got was really good compared to dealer they may be counterfeit.

·
trt1969
19 Posts
Where did you buy the OEM Plugs from. eBay and Amazon both have a lot of counterfeit plugs being sold in OEM boxes and represented as OEM. If the price you got was really good compared to dealer they may be counterfeit.
Ebay....damn it! That makes a lot of sense because I had trouble with a misfire after I put them in and the garage replaced one. I thought it was just a fluke. Thanks for the info. That is what I get for trying to save a buck.

·
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.
60 Posts
I bought them too but found out before install and returned them for a full refund and they paid the shipping back. Look at this link for more information. A lot of engine damage has been done by these parts. PLUG STUDIO / NGK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts