Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4 for 10 months and now I have a new Transmission with only 15K.

I found the shutter issue in the transmission a couple of months ago and what the issue growing on this forum. I was waiting for a real fix. Well the Honda dealer tried to fix with the TSB 13-053 and I got a call back that it did NOT fix the issue. Finally got a call back after they replaced the PCM that the transmission needed replacing after talking with Honda Tech Line.

Only drove it about 15 miles today and it was NOT cold. Hope it is fixed.

So, $25,000 Car and new transmission at 15k miles.... 60K Miles Warranty.

I have concerns will it make it when I hit 61k miles? The Honda's Warranty bill was $6,080.00!!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
That's horrible. It's good that the dealer's service department stood up and had Honda replace the transmission rather than just do the TSB and say, that's the way it is.

Hopefully, this transmission will be a good one and last a long time.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Wow that just stinks. Ironic first post though. Something to be said for the simplicity of the manual. If this proves to be a major trend I'll sell mine before the 60K warranty is up. Planning to keep it for 10 years though and let Jr. drive it to college in 5 years.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Wow that just stinks. Ironic first post though. Something to be said for the simplicity of the manual. If this proves to be a major trend I'll sell mine before the 60K warranty is up. Planning to keep it for 10 years though and let Jr. drive it to college in 5 years.
If this keeps up then Honda should extend the transmission warrantee to ten years or 100,000 miles like they did for the ones on the sixth generation Accords.

Honda replaced my transmission at 93,000 miles and ten years. Now my son is driving that Accord Coupe to college every day.

·
...shifting
18 Posts
Ouch! I'm glad they replaced it for you. Hopefully this does not become an epidemic (I doubt it)... when Honda sells as many units as they have, there are bound to be casualties I guess. My dealer has a lifetime warranty which I thought was great but you always wonder if at that moment, they find some reason to not cover the breakage. It sounds like your dealer did the right thing. I have heard other stories of dealers telling customers that their issues are "normal".

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Ouch! I'm glad they replaced it for you. Hopefully this does not become an epidemic (I doubt it)... when Honda sells as many units as they have, there are bound to be casualties I guess. My dealer has a lifetime warranty which I thought was great but you always wonder if at that moment, they find some reason to not cover the breakage. It sounds like your dealer did the right thing. I have heard other stories of dealers telling customers that their issues are "normal".
Your dealer has a life time warranty on your car? I have never heard of that.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Ouch... that's an expensive transmission! I'll stick to my manual. If it ever goes I'll grab a used one for a few bills and throw it on myself :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Continuously Variable Transmission will always be plagued with these kind of problems. All of the work is done by very few parts (sliding pulleys) and those parts are stressed more than the average automatic transmission because of that. For longevity, nothing will ever match the 6M.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I see leaked spots where my trans and engine are attached :thumbsdow

Sound like ill be in the same boat, well kinda. The dealership probably replace the seal.

·
LoVe Honda
81 Posts
I was thinking to buy a 6mt sport before but my future wife doesn't know how to drive stick and we're moving to ca (traffic is bad for reason) soon, so I just gave up on 6mt. I heard that Honda automatic transmissions always have a problem but I don't realize will be that soon at 15k miles. I have a little regret to get the cvt now....:paranoid:

·
Registered
485 Posts
i will give honda the benefit of the doubt.
for sure, they tested the car for hundreds of thousands of miles, under all kinds of abuse.
the transmission is made in japan, and the car is shipped internationally. They wouldn't risk international failure by not thoroughly testing this transmission. There is nothing to regret.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Permit me to quote the stock market pundits: "One day's results, good or bad, hardly makes a trend."

Honda has manufactured and sold roughly 350k CVT Accords to date. By my count, we know of two dead CVTs (one of which I think was tortured to death). Hardly a trend. Moreover, Tinymonster now has the best of all worlds --a year-old car with a new transmission. Know anyone else with a year-old Accord with a new tranny and another warranty to go with it? If Tinymonster sees a trend in any of this, he should be buying lottery tickets, 'cause he sure beat the odds.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Your dealer has a life time warranty on your car? I have never heard of that.
Here are examples of the Dealer lifetime powertrain warranty.

http://www.hendrickhondava.com/lifetime-warranty.aspx
http://www.hudsonnissanky.com/lifetime-warranty-from-hudson-nissan-in-kentucky.htm

The kicker is that the fine print requires that all, and I mean all, factory recommended service be done at the time/mileage that it is due, as outlined in the owners manual. And, look at this part from the Hendrick lifetime warranty:

"All service must be completed by an ASE certified technician."

And this from the Nissan warranty:

"To maintain the Lifetime Warranty, all you have to do is keep the records from other service departments, which document that you have performed the manufacturer recommended maintenance."

So, bottom line? Expensive$$$ dealer services or your 'lifetime' powertrain warranty is void.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Here are examples of the Dealer lifetime powertrain warranty.

http://www.hendrickhondava.com/lifetime-warranty.aspx
http://www.hudsonnissanky.com/lifetime-warranty-from-hudson-nissan-in-kentucky.htm

The kicker is that the fine print requires that all, and I mean all, factory recommended service be done at the time/mileage that it is due, as outlined in the owners manual. And, look at this part from the Hendrick lifetime warranty:

"All service must be completed by an ASE certified technician."

And this from the Nissan warranty:

"To maintain the Lifetime Warranty, all you have to do is keep the records from other service departments, which document that you have performed the manufacturer recommended maintenance."

So, bottom line? Expensive$$$ dealer services or your 'lifetime' powertrain warranty is void.
A very interesting sales tool. The first five years or 60,000 miles is covered by Honda. Most people don't keep their car for more than five years although they may drive more than 60,000 miles. This reduces the pool of cars that the dealer will have to repair the drivetrains in the future if something fails. Then they can wiggle out of it if you ever had the oil changed at one of those chain quick oil change places.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.