Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have 2014 Accord 4 cylinder (well maintained) with 105K on it, no issues with the transmission, works great. I change the CVT fluid about every 20K miles (Honda brand HCF-2) - As a preventative measure and looking to get 200K + out of the car - Is it recommended to change the CVT warmer / top filter? Also what about the filter in the CVT transmission pan too - Is it recommended to change that one too? Thanks!

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
Hello,
I have 2014 Accord 4 cylinder (well maintained) with 105K on it, no issues with the transmission, works great. I change the CVT fluid about every 20K miles (Honda brand HCF-2) - As a preventative measure and looking to get 200K + out of the car - Is it recommended to change the CVT warmer / top filter? Also what about the filter in the CVT transmission pan too - Is it recommended to change that one too? Thanks!
Actually the owners manual does not mention anything about changing the filter on the CVT transmission, it’s not included in the maintenance, even the Honda dealership said it should last a life time and not part of any routine maintenance whatsoever but at the same time I have had friends who has changed them as well, it is rather simple job, it’s located under the battery tray, remove old rubber ring seal and filter and reinstall. Peace

· Registered
2,496 Posts
Actually the owners manual does not mention anything about changing the filter on the CVT transmission, it’s not included in the maintenance, even the Honda dealership said it should last a life time and not part of any routine maintenance whatsoever but at the same time I have had friends who has changed them as well, it is rather simple job, it’s located under the battery tray, remove old rubber ring seal and filter and reinstall. Peace
Did they look what was caught in the filter, condition of it, was it full or had some life left in it? It's a closed system with limited opportunities to receive impurities, and the drain plug magnet catches the metal shavings.

· Registered
2013 Accord Sport CVT
101 Posts
I’ve done both and posted a thread for the filter in oil pan.
I suggest against this service at your mileage because I see no debris visible at 15xxxx km. I rather push this to 300000 km if I know they are that clean.
Spend the effort on other crucial item, like routine intake valve cleaning.

· Registered
346 Posts
My thought would be to spend the effort checking valve lash. I say that after 120,000 miles on our 2015 I-4CVT. Also after changing the CVT fluid, HCF-2, every 20,000 I have seen very little debris or color change in the fluid and the drain magnet has been generally clean since the first change. Our CVT runs like new, no issues.

· Registered
2014 Accord Sport MSM
320 Posts
I've replaced my CVT warmer filter 2x. Not a hard job, just time consuming as you must remove the battery & battery tray.
I replaced it recently before a CVT fluid change, I'd say worthwhile to replace it.

Attachments

· Registered
44 Posts
I drain and fill my 2017 Accord Sport SE CVT every 20-30k miles. When I drain the fluid take on a sweet tea, or slightly lighter than that color. It looks yellow/goldish going in new. Are yal seeing similar color change when you drain?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts