Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 2.4L used up 1 quart oil in 2000 miles. It only has 65k miles
I noticed it used up 3/4 quart at 7000 miles in the last oil change. I used Mobil 1 EP in the last 3 oil change including this one.
I see oil all around the cylinder head.
what is the estimate cost of fixing that? Do you think it is related to this TSB?

Date Reported: NOVEMBER 24 2010
NHTSA Reference:#10034885
TSB Reference: #SB-10-075

Description: HONDA VEHICLE: ENGINE OIL LEAK AT THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER. THERE IS PAINT OVERSPRAY IN THE GASKET GROOVE OF THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 07 2.4L used up 1 quart oil in 2000 miles. It only has 65k miles
I noticed it used up 3/4 quart at 7000 miles in the last oil change. I used Mobil 1 EP in the last 3 oil change including this one.
I see oil all around the cylinder head.
what is the estimate cost of fixing that? Do you think it is related to this TSB?

Date Reported: NOVEMBER 24 2010
NHTSA Reference:#10034885
TSB Reference: #SB-10-075

Description: HONDA VEHICLE: ENGINE OIL LEAK AT THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER. THERE IS PAINT OVERSPRAY IN THE GASKET GROOVE OF THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER.
Clearly, your engine is leaking oil at the cylinder head cover. It seems very early to have this kind of problem at 65K. I don't know why there would be paint overspray at the head cover gasket but it is worth checking with the dealer. If they turn you down, this is not a hard fix for the problem. What you need is a new head cover gasket and some elbow grease. It is much easier to change the head cover gasket on the L4 vs. V6. You have to remove the head cover and replace the old gasket with the new one. Make sure that you don't over torque the head cover bolts. Make sure that when you change the oil, do not overfill. Many head cover oil leak is due to the higher oil pressure when the oil level is too high. That's why I don't like taking my car to the dealer or some other oil change places. They invariably overfill with 5 Qts. instead of the 4.5 Qts. as required. I only let them change my oil every 10K or so and they will do other inspections for me including lubing the chassis. I do the oil change myself every 5K with synthetic blend. I don't believe in the 10K oil change regiment, it is too dirty to leave the oil that long and expect long engine life.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Clearly, your engine is leaking oil at the cylinder head cover. Make sure that when you change the oil, do not overfill. Many head cover oil leak is due to the higher oil pressure when the oil level is too high. That's why I don't like taking my car to the dealer or some other oil change places. They invariably overfill with 5 Qts. instead of the 4.5 Qts. as required. I only let them change my oil every 10K or so and they will do other inspections for me including lubing the chassis. I do the oil change myself every 5K with synthetic blend. I don't believe in the 10K oil change regiment, it is too dirty to leave the oil that long and expect long engine life.
I have a couple of questions. I am confused about your overfill/higher oil pressure statement. How does that work?

Where are lube points/fittings on your Accord?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, man, my gf's 06 with the same engine doesnt used up a drop oil when i change oil for her at 9500 miles and it has more than 100k miles. I didnt expect this happen to a honda engine that early. Thats probably why I feel it started slightly lose power at around 55k miles...
So basically I need to replace the head gasket?
Did some research on this. It looks like replace head gasket is pretty easy but the problem is you need to retiming the engine and that's what cost the most. So it has to be done by professional?

Damn,my car is just out of the extended warranty this year. Anyone knows if the dealer will do this TSB fix if the car is out of warranty?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Who said anything about a head gasket? Head cover (more commonly known as a valve cover) gasket, yes. Head gasket, no. No retiming needed. The statements about oil pressure/overfilled oil are accurate. These are the most common sources of oil leaks. If the leak is not part of the TSB, it is likely that another issue needs to be addressed before the valve cover gasket is replaced. The very next thing you need to do is take it to the dealer and not ask people on the forum questions that they cannot answer, such as the cause of the leak. The dealer, more than likely will be able to answer that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
113 Posts
You need a valve cover gasket.I would just try re torquing it first,and it looks like it's seeping not leaking.Really not a big deal to fix.I would also check with Honda what the acceptable oil consumption rate is for your motor is plus,check the intake for excessive oil and test/replace the PCV before anything else.The test is hearing it click while it's running and pinching the PCV hose with a pair if pliers wrapped in a rag so you dont damage it.I just replace them myself On a side note i have seen 2.4's run forever while consuming a quart or more every 3000 miles.If you are in fact burning oil and it's not the PCV valve there not much you can do thats cost effective($$$$oil control rings$$$) other than keep an eye on it and not let it get low The amount of seeping i see isnt the cause for that much oil loss but with pictures it's hard to tell .Every manufacture has a listed spec on oil consumption for every motor and your motor may be within spec so look it up.Not following due diligence on level checks,change intervals ,incompatible additive packages and improper break in procedure are just a few reasons out of Honda's control so I wouldn't count on a warranty at 65k with out paperwork.Synthetics will also burn off more due to their smaller matrix.
So in the end fix the valve cover check/replace the PVC valve and hope it stops consuming but if it doesn't it will still keep running strong as long as you are on top of the level.Honda had a Class Action Law suit for the 08-10 2.4l oil consumption issue in 2012,wonder what happened with it?Nothing I bet.

CM6,The OP simply wants opinions so he has some information before he takes it in.A Honda dealer has lied to me in the past and was caught red handed to the tune of $1500.Isnt that what this forum is for,asking questions,sifting threw the BS and then forming your own opinion on how to proceed?Maybe I miss the concept?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
It's cylinder head C-O-V-E-R, not cylinder head. Please don't confuse head gasket with valve cover gasket. The difference between the two is $taggering.

An hour of your time and $26.00 ($22 with Advance discount, assuming you're in the USA) and you're done. Stop stressing. An even cheaper way out.... slightly torque the bolts on the valve cover as they might be loose. Worth a try.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...duct_valve-cover-gasket-set-felpro_20688540-p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am appreciated all your reply.
I just want some opinions before hand. So I wont get rip off by the dealer since as you can see i dont know much about it. Also, another important thing is I can learn from you guys instead of just throwing the car to dealer to fix it and not knowing anything about it.
Anyways, at least I wont be confused cylinder head cover and cylinder head anymore. lol

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I am appreciated all your reply.
I just want some opinions before hand. So I wont get rip off by the dealer since as you can see i dont know much about it. Also, another important thing is I can learn from you guys instead of just throwing the car to dealer to fix it and not knowing anything about it.
Anyways, at least I wont be confused cylinder head cover and cylinder head anymore. lol
Dude, don't pay a dealer for such a simple affair. The Felpro gaskets work great and even a half assed mechanic would have trouble botching such an easy job.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
CM6,The OP simply wants opinions so he has some information before he takes it in.A Honda dealer has lied to me in the past and was caught red handed to the tune of $1500.Isnt that what this forum is for,asking questions,sifting threw the BS and then forming your own opinion on how to proceed?Maybe I miss the concept?
Let me clarify. You do have the concept of the forum. What I am saying is, he needs to take the car to the dealer to see (1) if the leak is related to the TSB (2) if the repair is covered under warranty (3) if the leak is not related to the TSB, what needs to be done to ensure that it doesn't happen again. What I said was a little misleading. The forum cannot accurately pinpoint the cause of the leak. One trip to the dealer, at no cost to the OP, could answer many of the questions that we cannot answer. If the car is somehow not covered by the TSB, the dealer may have to do a diagnosis which would have a cost. Telling by the posts I have seen, it doesn't seem that the OP has the means to do an engine leak diagnosis by himself. I could be totally wrong. If the dealer determines that it is simply a bad gasket, he could do it himself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea, man, my gf's 06 with the same engine doesnt used up a drop oil when i change oil for her at 9500 miles and it has more than 100k miles. I didnt expect this happen to a honda engine that early. Thats probably why I feel it started slightly lose power at around 55k miles...
So basically I need to replace the head gasket?
Did some research on this. It looks like replace head gasket is pretty easy but the problem is you need to retiming the engine and that's what cost the most. So it has to be done by professional?

Damn,my car is just out of the extended warranty this year. Anyone knows if the dealer will do this TSB fix if the car is out of warranty?
No, not the cylinder head gasket, it the cylinder head cover gasket (valve cover). No timing adjustment is necessary because you don't touch the timing chain for this job. You will likely have to take off a few things like the dipstick, the breather tube, spark plug coils, some bracket on top of the cylinder head cover to get to it. Make sure that your cylinder head cover is not warped or have usually large gap. It does not take much to get oil leak if the head cover gasket does not seal properly. The new head cover gasket will set you back about $35 on line. You may also want to use high temperature sealant to keep the gasket sealed to the cylinder head.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I'm not saying that overfilled oil causes increased oil pressure, nor am I implying that 5 qts is something of an issue. I believe that you may have mixed up two people's responses into it just being my saying. Oil pressure that is too high will cause a leak in its own right. Overfilled oil (be it .5 qts or 4 qts over) may cause a leak in its own right. Again, I'm not implying that overfilled oil causes increased oil pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts