Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Damaged noise-reducing resonator in wheel? Possible to replace or remove?

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mixamun 
#1 ·
My mechanic found that one of my wheels in 2018 Honda Accord EX-L has a broken wheel resonator - the black plastic thing on the rim. I believe it is the cause of an "unbalanced" feeling I get generally at low speed. Honda tells us this is a non-replaceable part and that we must replace the entire wheel at a cost of $500+!!!

Rather than replace the wheel (which is otherwise fine), is it possible to safely remove the wheel resonator from the one wheel? Will it cause problems with the tire pressure sensing since one wheel might be sensed a little differently than the others? Or can we remove the resonators in all the wheels?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Would think that would be covered under warranty if it wasn't damaged? Shouldn't hurt anything to remove it. Better than having a loose piece of it rattling around in the tire.

#6 ·
I dont think there would be any issue removing it - if anything i might be concerned that with it gone the wheel might not be balanced anymore - might just need a re-balance afterwards.

The TPMS doesn't use rotation speed to determine pressure. If a tire is substantially over or under inflated from what the monitoring system considers baseline then the system will trip. When the tire is over or under inflated the effective size of the tire is different and its this difference that shows up as a different wheel speed and throws the error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.