Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an appointment yesterday to get my first A1 service done as well as the backup camera recall and to try to diagnose the dash rattle I have been dealing with for the last couple weeks. I noticed it started as the weather got colder and when we had a day in the 70’s the noise disappeared. I pulled up to the service door and asked one of the mechanics to take a ride with me so I could show them the annoying rattle. He asked me to open the hood and popped off the rubber strut bolt covers and told me to take it around the block and the noise disappeared. I just wanted to share my experience with you all if you are dealing with an annoying dash rattle in the cold. He told me it’s the fifth one he’s done this month and that it is an acoustic noise that is only produced when the body of the car is cold. He said Honda has no answer as to why or a fix action yet and that those caps are only cosmetic so don’t worry about putting them back on until the weather gets warmer. Hope this can help someone so they don’t take their dash apart unnecessarily.

MODERATOR EDIT: If you found this thread via search engine and you have a 2018 Touring Accord trim level, you may want to see this other thread for another type of dash rattle:
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/...g-dash-noise-heads-up-display-hud-rattle.html

Attachments

·
Elvira
3,639 Posts
Can you tell if those covers do a dual purpose of providing support for the hood near the back?

This may be another source of the hood flutter where those "covers" aren't performing their job.

Makes sense though if those rubber/plastic covers change diameter or loosen when cold and rattle around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had an appointment yesterday to get my first A1 service done as well as the backup camera recall and to try to diagnose the dash rattle I have been dealing with for the last couple weeks. I noticed it started as the weather got colder and when we had a day in the 70’s the noise disappeared. I pulled up to the service door and asked one of the mechanics to take a ride with me so I could show them the annoying rattle. He asked me to open the hood and popped off the rubber strut bolt covers and told me to take it around the block and the noise disappeared. I just wanted to share my experience with you all if you are dealing with an annoying dash rattle in the cold. He told me it’s the fifth one he’s done this month and that it is an aucoustic noise that is only produced when the body of the car is cold. He said Honda has no answer as to why or a fix action yet and that those caps are only cosmetic so don’t worry about putting them back on until the weather gets warmer. Hope this can help someone so they don’t take their dash apart unnecessarily.
Wow, talk about an excellent find. Thanks for posting this. I believe you'll save many having their dashboards ripped apart. :smile

I also had a noise around the dash when the Accord gets REALLY cold.... Now that it's a bit warmer, it went away. I think you found a likely culprit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just removed the covers for now, just wanted to verify that it was the cause of the noise. I will play around with different tactics when i have time to see what works best to eliminate the noise/rattle while retaining the covers.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
@RickBlaine can we make this a sticky for HUD fix? :smile
That would be a good idea.

Perhaps....

We could keep it separate and link it to the HUD rattle thread. But we only have two members thus far that have done this and reported back.....maybe a few more people reporting in and we could sticky it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think this is related to the HUD rattle. It's a different type of rattle that sounds like it's coming from the dash but it's not. That's why I think it would be good to have a recording of the sound so others can tell if they're having the same issue.

But yes, it would be good to group all types of rattles together somehow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had an appointment yesterday to get my first A1 service done as well as the backup camera recall and to try to diagnose the dash rattle I have been dealing with for the last couple weeks. I noticed it started as the weather got colder and when we had a day in the 70’s the noise disappeared. I pulled up to the service door and asked one of the mechanics to take a ride with me so I could show them the annoying rattle. He asked me to open the hood and popped off the rubber strut bolt covers and told me to take it around the block and the noise disappeared. I just wanted to share my experience with you all if you are dealing with an annoying dash rattle in the cold. He told me it’s the fifth one he’s done this month and that it is an aucoustic noise that is only produced when the body of the car is cold. He said Honda has no answer as to why or a fix action yet and that those caps are only cosmetic so don’t worry about putting them back on until the weather gets warmer. Hope this can help someone so they don’t take their dash apart unnecessarily.
I had a rattle develop a couple days before the OP on this thread. I was absolutely convinced that the rattle was coming from something inside the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. Was about to open the housing, there appears to be an opening hatch, and see if I could find anything. I listened more and was just convinced it was coming from behind the mirror. Then I saw this thread. I was incredulous that this could be the solution but last night I went out and removed the rubber covers over the shock struts. Got in the car this morning, went to the gym and ran a few errands. Not a rattle to be heard.

A big hats off to you and your service tech.

Reactions: JP Driver

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow, talk about an excellent find. Thanks for posting this. I believe you'll save many having their dashboards ripped apart. :smile

I also had a noise around the dash when the Accord gets REALLY cold.... Now that it's a bit warmer, it went away. I think you found a likely culprit.
If this is indeed some sort of acoustic noice, in theory you should be able to just put something small in the rubber, a small ball of tinfoil or piece of plastic, cover that would change the way sound waves interacted and thereby eliminate the problem.

It still baffles me how something so far removed from the interior with zero moving parts could be causing these rattles, but obviously it does.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hope this is the fix but on mine if I pushed down on the area near the HUD the noise would stop. Haven't heard it since putting foam under HUD bezel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a rattle develop a couple days before the OP on this thread. I was absolutely convinced that the rattle was coming from something inside the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. Was about to open the housing, there appears to be an opening hatch, and see if I could find anything. I listened more and was just convinced it was coming from behind the mirror. Then I saw this thread. I was incredulous that this could be the solution but last night I went out and removed the rubber covers over the shock struts. Got in the car this morning, went to the gym and ran a few errands. Not a rattle to be heard.

A big hats off to you and your service tech.
It's been several days now, all very chilly and today is the coldest, and still not a rattle to be heard. I'm going to wad up some aluminum foil put that on top/around the strut bolds and replace the rubber caps on the stock struts and see what happens.

I know this is going to sound bizarre but I do believe the radio sounds better since I removed the shock strut covers.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts